Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Glasgow XIIIa 11. from the Records hilt reconstruction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Glasgow XIIIa 11. from the Records hilt reconstruction         Reply with quote

Hello everybody! Happy I am going to customize my DT2142 in the style of XIIIa 11. from the Records. From the beginning I wanted to make this sword (DT2142) more suitable to earlier dating than with original fittings. First I wanted to order DT5143 with brazil nut pommel and straight cross but that failed because of a too long wait. When I got 2142 and 2130 I switched their guards because I wanted straight guard like 2142 had on 2130 to make it more typical for crusader type sword. That left my 2142 with 2130 type 7 guard and its original pommel. Now I'm going to put these fittings aside and order custom made fittings for 2142 blade and I want these fittings to be octagonal pommel and spike-hilt like on XIIIa 11. which are suitable for wide dating between 1100 and 1250.
Thanks for reading through my rambling, and if anyone have some nice pictures of XIIIa 11. hilt, please post them here or e-mail them on luka.borscak@gmail.com . Any early octagonal pommel pictures are welcome. Thank you.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

erm, first post, but I might be able to help, as I have had contacts with the Kelvingrove museum in glasgow...

If you are willing to wait till september (they have a new research building which opens then) , I can perhaps get to handle it then and take detailed photographs, measurements, etc.

is that of any use to you?

I'm not sure if it's on display in the Kelvingrove at the moment, or in storage - I know that records of the medieval sword X.9 (oakeshott's worcester sauced inglerii), XVa. 2 and XVII. 12 (which is woefully innacurate in its description in Records, by the way) are all on display just now, and the others may be, but I was mostley eyeing up the XVa's and armour on my last visit, and listing what all I wanted to view come september.

if it's on display, I might have to look at arranging a second viewing for that, since they might feel I'm being a little greedy if they get a request for detailed study which lists "everything" as my area of interest. Happy

Last edited by JG Elmslie on Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Mr.Elmslie, such information are always welcome. My hilt will be finished by then but I will always be ready to upgrade it as craftsman who's doing it for me lives just a few kilometers from me.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Glasgow XIIIa 11. from the Records hilt reconstruction
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic