Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Arbedo Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Travis Slusser

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: MRL Arbedo Sword         Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm new here and so far my "collection" consists of the MRL 14th century short sword copied from the one in the Met in New York ... I'm 18, so my income isn't too free these days, but I would like to acquire more arms and armor and perhaps get into SCA fighting sometime in the future. Anyhow, in my frequent internet perusals, the MRL Arbedo sword caught my eye, and I noticed it on the comparison chart on this site ... does anyone here have any experience with this particular sword? My only experience with a MRL sword has been fairly satisfactory, and however my mouth may water over Albion and other high-end swords, I'm afraid they're going to be out of my league for quite awhile, both in price and my abilities to practice with and fully appreciate them. Any feedback on the Arbedo sword or the manufacturer in general will be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Ouellette

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey
Well, I was looking at that sword also and about a week ago a guy in England bought one and posted comments on International Sword Forum. He said that the stiffining ridge down the center of the blade shown in the catalogue was not there- it was a flat blade that bent a bit when he picked it up-flexed. Then he did some cutting on oak logs with it and did not bend it and it cut very well. Overall he's happy if I read his post right. A couple of others posted replies that they'd bought the sword and liked it. I hope that helps. Steve

In times of peace, the wise gentleman sharpens his sword.
Sun Tzu
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL has shown some improvements in the last couple of years. Still not outstanding, but at this point I'd say that you'll get your monies worth. They do have a very good return policy, so if you aren't happy with the purchase you can return it. Considering where you're at in your collecting I'd say that the Arbedo would be a could starting point.

BTW, you won't learn any real historical techniques in the SCA. I did it for years and it may be a lot of fun, but a serious martial pursuit it isn't. If you want to learn genuine period swordsmanship I'd suggest that you try to find a school somewhere in your area. There are more and more of them popping up every day.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: MRL Arbedo Sword         Reply with quote

Travis Slusser wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm new here and so far my "collection" consists of the MRL 14th century short sword copied from the one in the Met in New York ... I'm 18, so my income isn't too free these days, but I would like to acquire more arms and armor and perhaps get into SCA fighting sometime in the future. Anyhow, in my frequent internet perusals, the MRL Arbedo sword caught my eye, and I noticed it on the comparison chart on this site ... does anyone here have any experience with this particular sword? My only experience with a MRL sword has been fairly satisfactory, and however my mouth may water over Albion and other high-end swords, I'm afraid they're going to be out of my league for quite awhile, both in price and my abilities to practice with and fully appreciate them. Any feedback on the Arbedo sword or the manufacturer in general will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Travis...

Welcome to the forum! I really like my MRL Arbedo. It is a very well proportioned and balanced sword. The blade is not thick but it does have a low spine. Here is the recent thread on SFI... It has alot of good info...

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37015

I also started a thread last year on my Arbedo and what I did to it. There are several perspective shots in the thread that you might like to see. Here it is...

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=arbedo

For the money you would have a hard time doing better than the Arbedo IMHO.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis - I'm in the same boat as you, age and money wise, but although I've never handled the Arbedo, threads like Kirk's project have placed it near the top of my "to buy" list Wink
Kirk - again, beautiful job!
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks David...

I am currently redoing a Godfred Viking Sword... Finishing up the silver wire wrap on the grip... Should have it finished in a month or so. Will post then.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Arbedo Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic