Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carlo & Dustin - new fight video Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Carlo & Dustin - new fight video         Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myB7Jx-ejAQ&am...annel_page

Comments & criticisms welcome.

Thanks,
Dustin
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guy in the grey shirt and red tights seems to waste quite a bit of effort changing guards without ever causing his opponent to react by changing lines.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
The guy in the grey shirt and red tights seems to waste quite a bit of effort changing guards without ever causing his opponent to react by changing lines.

I agree. Carlo (the guy in the grey shirt) comes from a FMA (escrima, etc) stick-fighting background, where the weapon hand is supposed to be kept in constant motion. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he may be trying to put this philosophy into practice with longsword fencing. I'm not exactly sure of the reasoning for doing this in FMA, but I believe it has something to do with minimizing hand hits. I can see how that might be applicable with sticks (no hand protection), but i don't feel that this particular reasoning has as much value with longsword.

I recall some conversation on SFI about the utility of 'dynamic' guard change...Some were arguing that this made it harder for the opponent to set up a successful meisterhau, than if you utilized relatively more 'static guards'. Contrarily, though, is the fact that it gives your opponent a chance to catch you during a guard transition (more chances for nachreisen).

I haven't really developed a definite opinion on this yet...

Thoughts?

Dustin
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Dustin said, and its also a way for me to attack since each guard has a series of attacks i can launch from it my opponent is less likely to know when or how. It's funny when i didn't do it i was criticized for having too much of an iaido "lets draw!" kind of structure.

I did manage to draw him out with this at :15 which resulted in a hand hit at the end of the sequence.
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Joachim Meyer teaches not to stay in one guard for very long, but to constantly change from one guard to another in order to reduce predictability. I believe that's one of his main tenants. If someone who trains in Meyer and knows more about it could jump in I would appreciate it.

I think that Carlo looks just fine considering the short time he's been in WMA. The winding and footwook look great. I even a saw grappling move by Carlo which is a refreshing plus. IMHO What's seems missing are strikes "with intent"; the speed and the flow from Zufechten to kreig to abzug; "the dance" I call it that only comes with training and experience.

Good job guys. I wish more people would put it out there for everyone to see.

Last edited by Allen Foster on Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quoted from one Michael Cartier, FIMAS ( a well know expert in Meyer's fighting sytle) in speaking of J. Meyer:

"He admonishes us not to spend too much time in any one guard or position but to flow from one guard to another changing the area and intention of your threat and defense smoothly within the established parameters to confound the opponent."
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Joachim Meyer teaches not to stay in one guard for very long, but to constantly change from one guard to another in order to reduce predictability. I believe that's one of his main tenants. If someone who trains in Meyer and knows more about it could jump in I would appreciate it.

I think that Carlo looks just fine considering the short time he's been in WMA. The winding and footwook look great. I even a saw grappling move by Carlo which is a refreshing plus. IMHO What's seems missing are strikes "with intent"; the speed and the flow from Zufechten to kreig to abzug; "the dance" I call it that only comes with training and experience.

Yeah the flow and intent is the biggest thing i need to work on, thank you so much for the advice, I'll work on it.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:

I am unfamiliar with Zufechten and "abzug"; what are they?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carlo Arellano wrote:
What Dustin said, and its also a way for me to attack since each guard has a series of attacks i can launch from it my opponent is less likely to know when or how. It's funny when i didn't do it i was criticized for having too much of an iaido "lets draw!" kind of structure.

I did manage to draw him out with this at :15 which resulted in a hand hit at the end of the sequence.

So I think the thing is that many of the guard changes do not result in any kind of position or range change in the process, so your opponent can safely ignore most of the changes (and does). Especially when you switch out of a guard and then back into it several times. Your threat mainly seems to come when you begin to close distance.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

I am unfamiliar with Zufechten and "abzug"; what are they?
M.

To the best of my understanding Meyer breaks a sword fight into three parts: the onset of the fight (Zufecthten); the middle/handwork or war (Kreig) and the withdrawal (abzug). Depending on what part of the fight you are in determines your strategy and tactics. That being said I am just learning myself so anyone who knows better feel free to jump in.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carlo Arellano wrote:
Yeah the flow and intent is the biggest thing i need to work on, thank you so much for the advice, I'll work on it.

In a more clumsy way, that what I'm trying to get at as well.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carlo & Dustin - new fight video
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic