Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Sword and WMA enthusiasts in Northern California Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Looking for Sword and WMA enthusiasts in Northern California         Reply with quote

Hello,

I have belonged to this forum for over a year and am now interested in getting into shape and learning some longsword.

Currently my college offers a fencing course (classical epee stuff) that allows you to practice with longsword and messer if you attend the club meetings. I really want to learn some longsword but I am afraid that the fencing instructor is not terribly interested in, nor appreciative of medieval martial arts.

Are there any groups in Northern California that you guys know of?

E Pluribus Unum
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Meyers teaches at the Sacramento Fencing Club, I believe. He works on more of the Renaissance material, but he's a respected teacher.

There's also Schola St. George, who focus on the Italian medieval arts, as well as sword and buckler from I.33. They may work on other arts as well.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where in nor-cal do you go to school? St George is kinda in a defunct position ATM, but the people who use to do it still do in the Fremont area. There is also a school down in santa clara. UC berkeley sometimes has longsword de-cal classes. And while not historical, there is the local SCA for fellow sword enthusiasts Happy . Also I know a pair of people who get together for german longsword up in Lodi. If I can get enough interest and I can find a spot, I may start a study group in the richmond/orinda area as well. If you tell me where you live, I can start pointing you in the right direction Happy .
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sacramento is to far away for me to belong to, but I wouldn't mind dropping by to see how its done. I'm from Humboldt county and Mendocino county (i.e. close to oregon and close to santa rosa) depending on if i'm with family or up in school since I go to humboldt state.
E Pluribus Unum
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well as for humbolt...umm I don't know any out that way other then to see if any SCA folks are around. Even if the SCA isn't exactly historical martial arts, there are some who do cross train and they maybe better able to point you where you want to go.

Now if you come down to santa rosa, then sac isn't too bad of a drive...but the school in santa clara might be a better drive as you have a major freeway to take you there. And the freeway can take you to the St. George people or myself pretty easily as well. If you need more info on any groups I mentioned, shoot me a PM and I'll answer as best as I can Happy .
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Where in nor-cal do you go to school? St George is kinda in a defunct position ATM, but the people who use to do it still do in the Fremont area. There is also a school down in santa clara. UC berkeley sometimes has longsword de-cal classes. And while not historical, there is the local SCA for fellow sword enthusiasts Happy . Also I know a pair of people who get together for german longsword up in Lodi. If I can get enough interest and I can find a spot, I may start a study group in the richmond/orinda area as well. If you tell me where you live, I can start pointing you in the right direction Happy .

Not to hijack the thread, but who plays in Santa Clara? I am on the peninsula and would welcome the chance to get back into swordplay.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Humboldt, you should contact Antone Blair in Arcata. I'm not sure if he does much longsword, but he teaches quite a few other historical weapons. PM me if you can't find any contact info for him.
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but who plays in Santa Clara? I am on the peninsula and would welcome the chance to get back into swordplay.

The school in Santa Clara and now Fresno, CA - http://www.knight2day.com/
John Whitmer

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: http://www.knight2day.com/         Reply with quote

I studied longsword under Steaphen "Davenriche" Fick for two years. I can't recommend his school highly enough. He is a top-notch teacher and all-around great human being.
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers wrote:
In Humboldt, you should contact Antone Blair in Arcata. I'm not sure if he does much longsword, but he teaches quite a few other historical weapons. PM me if you can't find any contact info for him.

I already have, he is the aforsaid fencing teacher who I talked about. He seems good and he does teach longsword, he also seemed capable enough (though I have only seen videos on youtube so who knows), it just seemed like he doesn't care about as much as he does the newer forms like saber and etc.

E Pluribus Unum
Kevin Hemmingsen

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jun, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have actually been searching around the internet and talking with different people in the bay area about longsword groups also. I live in Concord and work in Pleasanton and am really looking for anything closer than Santa Clara. I would love to attend the Santa Clara school but it is just a bit far for me to go to consistently. If anyone has a group or knows of any group please send me a email at kp@deadreason.com or leave a reply in this message. Thank you
Michael K Wislon

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,
I am in Santa Rosa and there are no groups around here that I am aware of. I wish there were. I have looked for the last couple years, and most are 1-2 hours drive from SR. Good luck with your search and let me know if you find something closer,
thanks,
Michael

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Sword and WMA enthusiasts in Northern California
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic