Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > mid 16th century dagger, pouch and eating set Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jun, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: mid 16th century dagger, pouch and eating set         Reply with quote

Hello,

i would like to put together a kit for mid-late 16th century, the period that mainly interested me run from 1540s to 1570s,

it is my intention to re-create an impression of a paesant of reasonable standing or a professional soldier, more likely from germany or england.

about the dagger my first choice would go for a ballock dagger (or dudgeon, but i tink that it's more appropriate for the 17th century), but i have seen some landsknecht images from the mid 16th century still using some form of rondel, apparently of the all-steel kind. could you show me some images for the two kind of dagger?

the next items i need are a belt pouch and heating set, about the pouch really i don't know wich form is suitable, may be a classic ballock form? for the heating i would like to have one complete of knife fork and spoon, my main doubt it's about the fork, it was already in use in the mid 16th cenntury?
wich kind of knife is appropriate for an heating set like that? again if you can provide me some pictures for both pouch and heating set it would be great.

thanks for help

gabriel
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

any info about that subject?
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would try looking at the artwork and woodcuts in the Album section for ideas about the pouch. For the eating set and dagger you might find some examples in the Albums also. A ballock or dudgeon dagger would be very suitible for an English soldier, for a German I would think that a quillon dagger or Landsknecht-style dagger would be just as appropriate as a ballock if not more so. Some styles of rondel daggers, such as the "Burgundian style", may still be in use in the earlier portion of your period also. The so-called Landsknecht daggers are actually quite varied in form, sometimes having elements in common with katzbalgers. There is one reproduction on Ebay now-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Katzbalger-Dagger-by-Del-...7C294%3A50
Any of these dagger types (or a katzbalger for that matter) could have an eating/pricker set en suite, carried in smaller pockets on the scabbard.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a working link to the Ebay piece: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...0430257937
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Chad.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > mid 16th century dagger, pouch and eating set
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic