Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Which Should I choose to spend my K. Rudd bailout money on? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Which Should I choose to spend my K. Rudd bailout money on?         Reply with quote

I have a dilema, I live in Tasmania and am doing Stoccata (the Tassie branch is taught by Stephen Hand) and am at the stage where to adance I require an actual steel (blunted of course[or could be made so]).
I've browsed and search and read reviews here and at SBG, And I think I've narrowed it down too these two swords from GlobalGear:

http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod895.htm

And this,

http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod1263.htm

From what I've read and heard, they may be a bit of a mixed bag; they could be a more than expected purchase, or could break within a month Sad

All in all, that's all I could find within Aus$500, but if anyone else has any better suggestions or ideas, please go ahead, because I'm kind of out of ideas...

Attachment: 65.34 KB
aquamani.gif
And here's a random picture to add some colour and take up space.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.

Last edited by Sam Gordon Campbell on Fri 05 Jun, 2009 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason Mather

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the same mortuary hilt. If the one you get is at all like mine you will be fixing it after a couple weeks banging it around. Mine loosened up something awful.That said, its a pretty nice handling piece and tightening up the hilt is a small job. I got mine for around $160 American on eBay.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It depends on what you intend to do with it. The Hanwei practical line is intended for use in mock combat and is constructed to be used that way. There are varied reports on how well they hold up but from what I have seen and heard they aren't bad for the money.

The Mortuary Sword is a different matter entirely. It is best used, imho, for display. It looks great but I don't think that the manufacturer built it with combat in mind. I have had one. It handles well and looks very good. Jason's comments about having to make repairs after a short period of use are indicative of what I think about it.

I believe the practical sword will serve you better.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Which Should I choose to spend my K. Rudd bailout money on?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic