Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My new display case for sharp & pointys ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: My new display case for sharp & pointys !         Reply with quote

I purchased this wonderful display curio from 'Bob's Solid Oak Reproductions', in Littleton, Massachusetts !

The cabinet overall measures 80" x 38" x 17", inside measures 59 1/4" x 32" x 13"
( glass front plate is 54 3/4" x 24" {beveled on the edges} with four bevel edged side plates at 26 1/4" x 6" )

The wood is solid walnut, with a nice cherry finish.

Here are a bunch of snapshots to give you an idea what this case looks like, and it's size !
( it's tall but I wish it was just a tad wider ). * please disregard my farmers tan ;-)

The case is accessed via the two locking side doors !

I threw in a few swords just to give you an idea ..... but I'll have to figure a proper layout , and a good way to suspend them,
within, upon my return from Scotland ! ( I've been brainstorming this with Vince ;-)
Meanwhile, as the guards will be out of country, they'll stay locked up in the safes !

The mirror reflecting might be a bit distracting, ? , but I can try hanging some tartan, or something, and see how that works !
( Marge & Rachel like the mirror, but they are probably more interested in fixing their hair than viewing swords *g* ;-)

The light turns on by touching the upper door hindge, on the right side, and it has 3 settings !
(touch once low, touch again brighter, and again very bright .... next touch is off ) Kind of a neat feature !

The draw on the bottom opens for storage ..... and of course it came with a bunch of heavy duty glass shelving
( which are set on adjustable peg holed brackets, all along the inside ) .

The case was expensive ..... a little over $1,200.00 with delivery .....
But considering the fine pieces I wish to show off I figure they deserve something nice, secure, and in keeping with the dens decorum !
My only problem is I need at least two more of these ( one for dirks & knives alone ;-)

Well, that's my story & I'm sticking to it , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great looking case Mac!

I had considered one like that myself, but I didn't like the mirror either and space was an issue for me. Definetly put some tartan in the back.

Are you going to Scotland with Vince? Either way it sounds like the trip of a lifetime. The only trouble will be getting you to come back!

You look pretty sexy in that shirt. Ever consider catalog work?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a great looking case, Mac ...

I'm going to be in the market for one of those next summer ... I'm hoping to find one like that with a solid back and no mirror. I have 35 yards of my Lindsay family tartan that I'd love to use as a backdrop and a buddy of mine in Ft Worth is designing some glass sword cradles for vertical display ... he wants to install them in whatever display I settle on and use some of my swords as guinea pigs to see if they work out as he plans (his idea being that glass contacting the sword for suspension will never mark, scratch or maar the steel when the sword is resting on them). If they work out well, he wants to start making and selling them as an alternative to wood or metal sword hangers.

I've found quite a few curio cabinets that could serve as sword displays, but none as large or nice as yours. Again, my compliments and congrats on a nice purchase ... and the swords look great in there! The Claymore and baskethilt really catches my eye ... very nice indeed! Happy

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick

No, Grace would get jealous *g*

Seriously :-) ..... No, I'll be traveling with my wife (Marge) , Big Mac (Dad), and Mom (Helen) !
We're doing a 10 day tour of the Scottish Hielands , June 30-July 9, via the same tour outfit that Ron Luciano used !(Trafalgar Tours)
Stops include : London, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Inverness, Loch Ness, Isle of Skye, Loch Lomond, Glasgow, Ayrshire !

To say I'm excited is an understatement ......

Mac standing on the hallowed ground of Culloden, the bridge at Eileen Donan ( "You've done well Highlander"), to whisper a prayer at Glencoe ...... to stand on the bonny banks of Loch Lomond ......

Man, it's almost overwhelming *sniff *

But .... I'll be back ..... the gas is far too expensive there to keep our trucks on the road *g* Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim

It is a challenge finding a suitable "sword" sized case ..... I'd just about given up figuring a custom job was really my only option ! There's always tradeoffs .... always something that is not quite right, but this one will do quite nicely !
The only real problem is ...... I want a few more, and they are pricey $$ *ouch * ( but what isn't these days ;-)

The mirror can be covered quite simply, on this piece, so that is not a problem !
I think the main thing is to find the correct balence in displaying them, without "overcrowding" !
Having each piece compliment the others, while utilizing the space at hand, and showing them to their best advantage !
(The right suspension will be key ! )

Just you wait & see what Billerica Kelvingrove comes up with *g*

I'll be taking (mental) notes when viewing the displays in Scotland ;-)

Best of luck to you, Jim ! Mac

Jim Lindsey wrote:
That is a great looking case, Mac ...

I'm going to be in the market for one of those next summer ... I'm hoping to find one like that with a solid back and no mirror. I have 35 yards of my Lindsay family tartan that I'd love to use as a backdrop and a buddy of mine in Ft Worth is designing some glass sword cradles for vertical display ... he wants to install them in whatever display I settle on and use some of my swords as guinea pigs to see if they work out as he plans (his idea being that glass contacting the sword for suspension will never mark, scratch or maar the steel when the sword is resting on them). If they work out well, he wants to start making and selling them as an alternative to wood or metal sword hangers.

I've found quite a few curio cabinets that could serve as sword displays, but none as large or nice as yours. Again, my compliments and congrats on a nice purchase ... and the swords look great in there! The Claymore and baskethilt really catches my eye ... very nice indeed! Happy

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac!

I know you are going to love Scotland! The tour you are taking sounds like the same route i took on my tour a few years back.

I remember those cases are Kelvinsgrove! Ah yes, BRIGHT red backgrounds! , id prefer tartan myself.......
as for the hanging mechanism, i WANT to think they where plexiglass peices suspended from the ceiling of the cases. But my memory might be going out on me. I'll have to check my photoalbum on that one.........

Have a great trip and say hello to my Buddy Ben Nevis for me!! and also give a "shout out" to Nessie for me as well.......... (yep, i actually SAW the real monster, but unfortunantly my batteries in my camera died. drats...)
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,

That display case is nicer than I envisioned from you description. However, I'm with Patrick, the mirrored back has to go, whether it be replaced with tartan, or some other light colored background would be up to you.

As for display layout ideas, this is what I did. Got a towel (or you could do with drawing an outline on the floor) which approximates the interior dimention and lay out what you want displayed. See the pic below on my own idea based on what I think the Browning 8-gun steel and polycarbonate display vault might be like on the inside. Problem is, it's a tight fit for what I have (can't even imagine what your problem might be), and I intend to acquire more VE pieces. Maybe I'll have to get 2 or 3 or...

Attachment: 29.52 KB
display.JPG

Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a very nice case, and very nice collections all around.

Stephen, you simply must stop buying up all the wonderful VE pieces. Leave some for the rest of us! Wink

Seriously though, Stephen, what sword is that in the very center of your arrangement there? Is it a Vince Evans? I'd love to see more of it (and all of them, really)... Happy

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,

Very nice cabinet.....indeed....!

Have a grand, glorious & safe time across the pond.

Aye,

William
aka Bill
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
That's a very nice case, and very nice collections all around.

Stephen, you simply must stop buying up all the wonderful VE pieces. Leave some for the rest of us! Wink

Seriously though, Stephen, what sword is that in the very center of your arrangement there? Is it a Vince Evans? I'd love to see more of it (and all of them, really)... Happy

Thanks, Guys !

Timothy

Not Stephen, but I can answer your question & provide a couple of pics ......

Yes, that center piece ( the D'Arcy ) was made by Vince Evans ! Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Mac! That's an exquisite piece. Eek!
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,
Nice cabinet you got there,
Petrol is only £00.80p a litre at the mo, lol.
Safe journey to you and yours,
Dont forget to get into the whiskey factory if it's on your route, Big Grin
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Hi Mac,
Nice cabinet you got there,
Petrol is only £00.80p a litre at the mo, lol.
Safe journey to you and yours,
Dont forget to get into the whiskey factory if it's on your route, Big Grin

Hi Lee

Yup, Day 5 has the whiskey factory !
( but I plan to jump off the tour, on the days we spend 2 nights, so I can sneek off to a museum or two !)

Here are our scheduled stops ......

Mac

Day 1
Depart USA Overnight flight to London.

Day 2
Arrive London After checking into your hotel, the rest of the day is free.

Day 3
London - Edinburgh (2nights) A full day's drive through English countryside and the Northumberland National Park on our journey to the Scottish border. We stop to see the ruins of Jedburgh Abbey. Later, we have a chance to visit the Woollen Mills en route to Edinburgh – Scotland's capital. We enjoy a welcome drink with our Tour Director tonight. (Continental breakfast)

Day 4
Edinburgh sightseeing Morning sightseeing includes Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. During the Festival, we will include tickets to the spectacular Edinburgh Tattoo. This evening, why not enjoy a Scottish night out? (Full Scottish breakfast)

Day 5
Edinburgh - Inverness (2nights) We visit the Fife Coast and St. Andrews, home of the famous golf course. On through Dundee and Perth to Pitlochry. Then via Blair Atholl we visit a famous whisky distillery en route to Culloden Moor, scene of the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie. Finally, we arrive in the Inverness for two nights. (Full breakfast/ Dinner)

Day 6
Highlands & Isle of Skye Excursion We drive along the banks of Loch Ness and the shores of Loch Cluanie through Glen Shiel where the Five Sisters of Kintail surge up to heights of 3,000 feet. Next, we visit Eilean Donan Castle before crossing to the Isle of Skye. Later, we return to the mainland and travel via Loch Carron and Achnasheen back to Inverness. (Full Scottish breakfast/ Dinner)

Day 7
Inverness - Glasgow (2nights) We pass Fort William viewing Britain's highest peak en route to Glencoe. We have a chance to see the Clan Memorial before we drive along the 'bonnie banks' of Loch Lomond to Glasgow. Tonight, we enjoy Scottish hospitality at dinner in a local restaurant. (Full Scottish breakfast/ Restaurant dinner in Glasgow)

Day 8
Lowlands Excursion First we stop at Alloway to see where the famous Scottish poet Robbie Burns was born in 1759. Across the road is the ruins of Alloway church where Robbie's father is buried. Afterwards we visit Culzean Castle before we head back to Glasgow. (Full Scottish breakfast)

Day 9
Glasgow - London We visit to Gretna Green, renowned for allowing eloping couples to wed against their parents' wishes. Back into England, we pass the Cumbria mountains on our way back to London in the early evening. (Full Scottish breakfast)

Day 10
London - USA We transfer to the airport for our return flight to America. (Continental breakfast)

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MMM,Jealous,
Although i can think of 3 maker's i'd try to get in and sample their wares,
AClass,
Paul macdonald,
Rob in Isle of Skye,
Also i've gotta say when my Aunt and Uncle came over from OZ,my uncle was a little put out that the whiskey factory wares were noticably more reasonable in the local shop's,pretty much two to one price wise,
So Mac if you can manage 2-1,check the shops,
Also must add,
England 4,Croatia 2,
MMM lots of beer this evening,
Best on the trip Mac i bet it'll be a corker,
Oh yes hangover coming my way. Big Grin
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Lee !

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Hey Mac., I went to Scotland last November.         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Patrick

No, Grace would get jealous *g*

Seriously :-) ..... No, I'll be traveling with my wife (Marge) , Big Mac (Dad), and Mom (Helen) !
We're doing a 10 day tour of the Scottish Hielands , June 30-July 9, via the same tour outfit that Ron Luciano used !(Trafalgar Tours)
Stops include : London, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Inverness, Loch Ness, Isle of Skye, Loch Lomond, Glasgow, Ayrshire !

To say I'm excited is an understatement ......

Mac standing on the hallowed ground of Culloden, the bridge at Eileen Donan ( "You've done well Highlander"), to whisper a prayer at Glencoe ...... to stand on the bonny banks of Loch Lomond ......

Man, it's almost overwhelming *sniff *

But .... I'll be back ..... the gas is far too expensive there to keep our trucks on the road *g* Mac

Gimme a holler man we can chat about some rpime places to visit and some details on how things work. I stayed in Edinburgh mostly but did visit St. Andrews, Rosslyn, Stirling and Aberdeen. I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked, but it was great! Remember, cheap places to exchange money is at the post!!!! Hope you haev a great time. Hit me on Message if you like and I can give you call and chat.

Joel

Attachment: 66.79 KB
bbmailcopy.jpg
Me at the Castle Guest House in Edinburgh.

Attachment: 38.8 KB
stirling castle.jpg
Stirling Castle from the top of the Wallace Monument
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,

I guess one of the most difficult task would be figuring out how to attach hooks or hangers to suspend the swords, though I'm guessing no such thing is necessary for the Evans Two-Hander. And is that the Pinch O'Snuff by Eljay I see in there? Speaking of whom, I had lunch with Eljay on Saturday and enjoyed every minute. A fellow sabre fencing our Eljay, he evidently teaches it in Thailand, along with Biology. Quite a gracious gentleman and he had some interesting antiques to show me. Bought them on EBay, which goes to show ya you CAN find treasures if you know what you're doing.

Tim,

Mac did answer most of your questions. I did a mini-review on SwordForum: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...ight=darcy

I have to keep buying Evans pieces, otherwise Mac and Ron will get WAY ahead of me, and that will never do.
Razz
Alex McCracken

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,

Awesome case you found, and I think it'll look great, back-lit and with a tartan
background. The MacDonald of Sleat would look great I think. Have a great
time in Schottland. I think it's safe to say I'm as envious as everyone else
that I'll not be there myself. When you get to Culloden, and if you remember,
can you take a snap of the MacLachlan/MacLean stone there, if you wander
on by it? I'd really appreciate it. Have your parents been to Scotland before,
or is this a first for all of you? I can't wait to here of your travels.

Take care, and be safe.

Alex

Pray, n:. To ask that the laws of the universe be
annulled in behalf of a single petitioner
confessedly unworthy.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
Jon C. Webb

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,
The display case is very nice, and 'reasonable' (compared to the metal ones. I will be interested to see how you ultimately dress it out. I hope your trip thru Scotland is as fine. When I was 10, I got to drive up from East Anglia with my parents and grandparents- washed my hands in Loch Lomond with my Grandad, heard a piper over the highland hills on a twisty little road, saw the castle at Edinburg, bought some wool,etc. Altogether very warm memories, and I hope you collect plenty of your own.
JCWebb

"So I opened my door to my enemies
and I said 'Can we wipe the slate clean?'
They told me to please go @*$% myself:
You know, you just can't win."
Pink Floyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My new display case for sharp & pointys !
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic