Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Albion Armorers Maestro Line Liechtenauer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: The Albion Armorers Maestro Line Liechtenauer         Reply with quote

Hi y'all
I have an albion Liechtenauer that I use for WMA but I have a question. According to some of the people I know who have this sword over time the peen has chipped off and eventually the pommel has wiggled off. I was wondering why albion doesnt simply recess the peen like on some of there other swords and then grind it flush. IMHO this would deal with this problem, does anyone know why they don't?
Thanx
Z

Attachment: 10 KB
myarmory pic to post.jpg

Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just a bump cause no one responded and im curious about why the sword is structured this way. is it cost, or is there a functional reason im not aware of?
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Albion Armorers Maestro Line Liechtenauer         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
Hi y'all
I have an albion Liechtenauer that I use for WMA but I have a question. According to some of the people I know who have this sword over time the peen has chipped off and eventually the pommel has wiggled off. I was wondering why albion doesnt simply recess the peen like on some of there other swords and then grind it flush. IMHO this would deal with this problem, does anyone know why they don't?
Thanx
Z

Hi y'all = Hi all
WMA = ???
IMHO = ???
Thanx = thanks

I do not want to be offensive. My English is really bad. Is right that a forum such as this, has only one language. Is well known that English is increasingly a universal language.
Prayer is seen that is your language, you can avoid errors and abbreviations? I say this only because this gives me great difficulties in the translation. But it is true that the British are saying that Americans do not know how to speak English? Guys I apologize for my post is not very relevant to the topic. Take my words with English humor. Razz
David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not a peen... it's a weld, unlike their sharps.

WMA = Western Martial Arts (As in Europe is the west)

IMHO = In my humble opinion ( Internet slang)

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
It's not a peen... it's a weld, unlike their sharps.

thanks so much, David,
I learned the terms. Everything is clear now.
For welding is really strange, a steel with + 0.65% of carbon is not weldable. Breaks immediately. Perhaps, welded to brass, should be better. In this case, however, would be the difference in color.

About slang: I learned this after much research, I believe it is appropriate now:
Just my two cents ...
Maurizio
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe they recessed the peen on the new skirmish line. Perhaps why there's two different lines now of blunts. One for general sparring and practice (maestro) where a weld would hold up and a new line with a peen for heavier use (skirmish). Granted the (skirmish) line is a bit flashier than the plain look of the maestro line. I don't know, I'm rambeling. I'll gobcollect my thoughts.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up.

We did have a problem with peens on the Maestro Line for a very short period of time - we found that the peens were being overheated by one staff member while assembling the swords.

We do recess the peens (and they are not welded by the way, they are peened the same way as our other sword lines).

We do, as with all of our other sword lines, guarantee the Maestro Line for life against defects in materials and workmanship and we have fixed or replaced all swords that were brought to our attention. This was a very small production process flaw that was quickly remedied.

If you know of anyone who has not had their sword fixed, please have them contact us for a repair/replacement.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle one of these a while back in November 08; they're pretty good; the peen was solid, though the grip had seen too much use and had come off.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
David Teague

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

We did have a problem with peens on the Maestro Line for a very short period of time - we found that the peens were being overheated by one staff member while assembling the swords.

We do recess the peens (and they are not welded by the way, they are peened the same way as our other sword lines).

We do, as with all of our other sword lines, guarantee the Maestro Line for life against defects in materials and workmanship and we have fixed or replaced all swords that were brought to our attention. This was a very small production process flaw that was quickly remedied.

If you know of anyone who has not had their sword fixed, please have them contact us for a repair/replacement.

Best,

Howy

One of the guys in my group had his break off... looked like a weld. Local custom sword smith thought it was a weld.
Mine looks like a weld, not peened. We must have a few of the over heated ones.

I'll look at the newer ones in my study group to see how the look.. ( We have 6 so far.)

Sorry about the disinformation.

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

I've had mine for at least a year and another one of our group must have a very early one and both are holding up well with no problems. The blades have minor very shallow dimples from hard contact and no deep gouges or notches.

We do maintain the edges by rounding out any minor dings but compared to cheaper training swords that look like saw blades they are doing fine.

Oh, they have also been used against each other and with no damage to speak of, when used against the softer training swords they don't even show any dimpling.

Handles are still sound and haven't needed replacement, although it's something I could fix myself should it become a problem.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, this explains why I haven't experienced this problem but other people I know have. Mine is newer I just bought it last summer/fall before the price increase. I have just been afraid to really use it because of these "horror" stories, no I know its safe to use I am much happier. Happy I just figured it was happening cause the tang wasn't recessed, the best guess I had was that this step was being skipped as a cost saving measure. Glad I was wrong Laughing Out Loud
Z
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something sad just happened to me. The blade of the Liechtenauer I've bought back in 2007 chipped badly in several different spots along the blade at my last training session.

Honestly I was kinda shocked, and I never thought I would see that kind of damage on this sword, because it held up really well up until then. Wondering what could have caused this. Accumulated stress on already fragile sections of the blade, heat-treatment problem ? I've used a lot of sword for training but never saw anything like this.

Waiting to ear back from Albion now... my blade is damaged and my heart is broken. Cry

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Something sad just happened to me. The blade of the Liechtenauer I've bought back in 2007 chipped badly in several different spots along the blade at my last training session.

Honestly I was kinda shocked, and I never thought I would see that kind of damage on this sword, because it held up really well up until then. Wondering what could have caused this. Accumulated stress on already fragile sections of the blade, heat-treatment problem ? I've used a lot of sword for training but never saw anything like this.

Waiting to ear back from Albion now... my blade is damaged and my heart is broken. Cry

I have three Maestro line swords and they are almost bullet proof. As far as my swords go, I would have to be trying to hit edge on edge with another Albion to produce that kind of damage.

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I know what you mean, mine seemed to be indestructible before that unfortunate day... Worried

I never even had to sand or polish the edges to remove burrs or nicks. And thats after almost three years of use !

Very strange situation I'm in. I will try to post a few pictures today so can take a look and help me guest what went wrong.

Edit : I have sent pictures to Albion. After considering posting them here, I'm thinking maybe it's not the most appropriate thing to do.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:

Yes I know what you mean, mine seemed to be indestructible before that unfortunate day...

Allen Foster wrote:

I have three Maestro line swords and they are almost bullet proof. As far as my swords go, I would have to be trying to hit edge on edge with another Albion to produce that kind of damage.

Any sword is indestructible. Impacts edge against edge, creates damages. If the impact edge against edge is made with a sword of material peer and hardness, I damage all two the swords. This happens even if the heat-treatment is correctly performed.
Regards,
Maurizio
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine has a pretty good divot in it from a sword blow on a piece of armor while armor fighting (paldron plate with a guard). Other than that it has held up just fine. Some I have seen with the cord grip wrap loose or undone, but that's fixable and expected out of heavy use...especially if you wear metal gauntlets wielding it. It's definitely one of my favorite swords and in my book a great investment for the money!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Albion Armorers Maestro Line Liechtenauer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic