Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the Paul Chen Solingen Rapier? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Opinions on the Paul Chen Solingen Rapier?         Reply with quote

I've been looking for a rapier with which to study some Capo Ferro, found one of these on sale through a local online store, and based on the photos available online it doesn't look half bad. However, I'd like to know a bit more before I make the purchase. I have tried googling for reviews, but haven't found any on this particular sword. If anyone knows of such, links would be appreciated; first-hand observations even more so!

I'm particularily interested in the way it handles. Is it as anachronistically light as the Gustav rapier reviewed on this site? Several inches shorter and an ounce heavier, it would seem at least somewhat better in this regard, but balance and mass distribution make a big difference, and mere statistics rarely tell the whole truth...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mikko. I know a guy who as one, and the main-gauche too.

The blade is really too flexible and light for my taste. The hilt is not made to endure heavy hits either (tends to bend and get deformed). Might not be the best choice for practicing wma.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The handle is constructed from wire-wrapping around a hollow plastic core and as stated, its not very durable. You can fill the handle with silicone or epoxy and get a little bit better results - but this results in your being unable to change blades. Could be a decent project if you can manufacture your own grip replacement. Happy
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
The handle is constructed from wire-wrapping around a hollow plastic core...

Ah. So much for that, then...

Thanks, both of you.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of these I use for SCA. If you use the solid opoxy you can mold it to the tang and then remove the handle until it dries. So far the blade has held up very well..much better than the the old style practical rapier. I dont have problems with the flex as it is slightly stiffer than a double wide epee. This is fairly stiff with out being overly so.
Edit: I have had no problems with the hilt deforming and have taken several very hard shots to it. Of course I take most shots to the outside which is more heavly constructed.
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did a review of one of these... you can find it here: http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;page=1

For the money it's decent... the plastic hilt really bugged me. But it's affordable, attractive, and serviceable... but I sold it because it's not what I'm looking for in a rapier.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the Paul Chen Solingen Rapier?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic