Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Would you choose Brigandine or Plate? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Would you choose Brigandine or Plate?         Reply with quote

I'm in a glass half full mood today so I'm trying to decide what project I might like try next, when the economy improves, sometime in the next five years (fingers crossed). Over the last nine years I've had a fair assortment of swords and weapons (and one sallet) so I figure its time to fantasize about something different. I also keep looking at that darn "Let's see your kits and harness" thread for almost a year now and its just not so much fun to play there when you're kitless.

After a bit of research I'm coming around to the idea of someday starting to build a kit around one of these:

http://www.whiteroseapparel.com/brig1vel.jpg
http://www.whiteroseapparel.com/brig2.jpg

Or around this:

http://www.bestarmour.com/details/zbroje52.html

Unfortunately, I'm completely up in the air about which way to go now. My wife probably thinks I should do none of this but she is politely saying the plate will be a better decorator item, and lets face it, that's what this would ultimately be (maybe she thinks this is less of a problem than me deciding I want a corvette and a cheerleader for my midlife crisis). Big Grin

For grins...any thoughts (do assume the vette and cheerleader are not viable options)?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brigandine... for sure. Well, that's my vote anyway...
"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure a number of people are wondering why you wouldn't just settle for the Corvette AND the cheerleader, but I wouldn't want to see your wife's reaction to that. Seriously though, I think that the brig may be seen as a more historically realistic choice for your average 15th century soldier, but I'd vote for the plate. I've been in love with the works of Best Armour for a while now and that one would certainly be a better decorator item. It's just cool!
Boyd C-F

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I vote for option A - the brigantine. With Velvet and rose headed rivets.

MMmmmm, drool....
Big Grin
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Either is a good choice. Brig gets points for both modern originality and historical ubiquity (they were everywhere then, rarely reproduced now). If I were going to buy plate right now, I'd go to Francois L'Archeveque. He's next door (Canada) and you have a significant currency advantage compared to the Euro, which is still around $1.40. Plus, you'll still get custom sizing.

http://www.flarcheveque.com/Homeb.html

Prices are in Canadian Dollars.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Either is a good choice. Brig gets points for both modern originality and historical ubiquity (they were everywhere then, rarely reproduced now). If I were going to buy plate right now, I'd go to Francois L'Archeveque. He's next door (Canada) and you have a significant currency advantage compared to the Euro, which is still around $1.40. Plus, you'll still get custom sizing.

Yes, and I've met the guy and he's a fanatic for period authenticity ( great when that is a priority ) and also I've handled and seen a couple of his sallets raised from one piece and his work is great with the thickness of the plate varying in the piece as opposed to modern sheet metal work where the thickness is uniform.

Oh, back to your question and I would say get both if funds wasn't an issue, either has great aesthetic appeal ....... AAAAAAH: Can't decide and it's not even for me. Razz Laughing Out Loud

I'll take the " Cheer leader " please. Wink Laughing Out Loud ( Not married, so nobody to kill me ) Might prefer a girl really good with a sword to duel with like the one in the 1:33 group of my Longsword school: Fast and deadly and very very fun to fight in mixed weapons duels. Sorry, the cheer leader thing got me fantasizing about swords ..... go figure. Razz Blush

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

I`ve never worn plate,or a brigandine,only chainmail.But being basicly lazy,I`d go with a brigandine....no polishing Big Grin

Last edited by Karl Knisley on Thu 21 May, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go for the brig! It fits in in a lot more settings, and should be more versatile as a result. There is also the added bonus that it isn't seen as often. Most people want to be the knight in shining armour.

I certainly wouldn't go for the Corvette. If I'm buying a performance car, I want one that can turn corners faster than 2mph. Now a Porsche Cayman would be an entirely different proposal.

Fac et Spera
Moderator - www.swordwiki.org
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brigandine. Just look at Ben van Koert kit... that as to be one of the best-looking kits around.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...;start=330

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow I am surprised by all the support for the Brigandine. I would say go for the Brigandine as well but that's because it fit with my kit. Big Grin
But the other one looks really good as well. If your making it the brig would be a decent place to start. Unless your going to be cutting the scales yourself. ouch that would get old fast since I doubt you have a laser cutting table.

But best of luck either way and I hope to see pics of the final product.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could go either way but it depends on a million factors. Three key ones ot me is If I plan on using it and for what. If I am going to use it to represent something, knight, footman etc. and cost. From what I gather a good brig will cost you your first born child in many cases. I cannot think of a single effigy of a knight in a brig, we know they wore them at times but there is not the same relationa as the soldi one piece breastplate. As for use, thats a personal preference.

Good luck.

RPM
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 May, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to side with plate. Randall is right; a good plate cuirass is expensive enough, but a GOOD brig... boy, talk about labor intensive, if you could even find someone to make it. Brigs always get ratty looking after a few years, anyway, which lessens their decorator appeal. 'Fluid Film' (TM), on the other hand, and a tube of Autosol, can keep your plate looking good without a lot of effort indefinitely.
jamesarlen.com
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll support the plate cuirass, too. The world needs more decent-looking plate armour--too many of the reproductions one sees nowadays are of depressingly low quality.
Non Concedo
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say narrow the choice down by "who" you plan to be.

15th century knight... plate

Well "armed" 15th century soldier, I'd go with the brig. Just below the level of a non noble man at arms, your choice. Man at arms, plate.

(I've been lusting after a good 15th brigandine for a number of years now.)

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting replies so far.

My wife offered a different perspective that I found interesting. She noted that nobody outside the sword and armour hobby is going to know what a brigandine is. However, vitually everyone will know what a plate suite is. In her estimation, that makes the plate suite a better mainstream decoration and discussion piece, which is what a large part of this purchase would be for if it ever got done.

Please keep the thoughts and ideas coming.

Its intriguing to see the differnent views.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Austin wrote:
I'm sure a number of people are wondering why you wouldn't just settle for the Corvette AND the cheerleader!

Let's just say prohibitively expensive. Cool

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

The main challenge with this option, strictly for me, is that I would have to work out some kind of design. I really struggle to visualize end products when it comes to armour and weapons. That being the case, I figure I'm better served to stay with a developed product that I can see to purchase.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 23 May, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Interesting replies so far.
My wife offered a different perspective that I found interesting. She noted that nobody outside the sword and armour hobby is going to know what a brigandine is. However, vitually everyone will know what a plate suite is. In her estimation, that makes the plate suite a better mainstream decoration and discussion piece, which is what a large part of this purchase would be for if it ever got done.

That does make sense. While I would find a brigadine interesting, A suit of plate on a nice stand would look better in the corner. Get a nice pole arm and shield to go with it. It would look quite nice.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Brigandine. Just look at Ben van Koert kit... that as to be one of the best-looking kits around.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...;start=330

It is darn nice looking! Big Grin

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
From what I gather a good brig will cost you your first born child in many cases.

It looks like it would be closer to half a first born or a full third born child. Eek!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Would you choose Brigandine or Plate?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: