Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New collector soliciting advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris HusVar

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: New collector soliciting advice         Reply with quote

Greetings to all,

Let me begin by saying, this is a truely excellent resource site. Most especially for a beginner, like myself. I have just gotten into collecting swords, my current collection focuses on breechloading and bolt-action firearms. I have made a couple of opening purchases that I am satisfied with. I now have both the Dark Ages Sword and the Seax from Windlass Steelcrafts and the Godfred Viking Sword from Generation2. I am at a point when I would like to make a more expensive addition to my collection. I am trying to decide between the European Longsword from Cold Steel and the Late Period Spatha from Albion. I would like to solicit opinions from the more experienced collectors on these two makers as well as Windlass Steelcrafts. Have I wasted my money and am I going to again? I understand that people my be reluctant to "slam" a particular maker or product, but I am hoping for some honest feedback. Are there any other sites out there that offer unbiased reviews? Thank any you for for time.

Chris HusVar
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion is excellent, you'll not have any regrets on their quality or service.

Cold steel has had some positive reviews as well, although I haven't seen one in person. Cold steel will be a lesser priced sword, but also will be lesser quality as compared to the albion. You may also want to check out Del Tin products as well, they have excellent quality and performance too.

As far as windlass goes, I'd personally purchase albion or cold steel anyday over a windlass. I can't speak for cold steel, but I know that you'll be getting an excellent product without the quality control roulette that you get from windlass products.

Good luck, I am jealous! I wish I was purchasing a sword soon! Razz
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: New collector soliciting advice         Reply with quote

Hello Chris and Welcome.

First of all, it sounds like you are satisfied with your Windlass products and I would assume you purchased them because they appealed to you so you have NOT "wasted" your money. You may find that over time, as you learn and get the opportunity to see and/or handle more swords, your tastes and expectations may (nay, probably WILL) change - it happens to almost all of us.
Albion makes outstanding products and has exceptional service so you can't really go wrong if you find something you like and can afford it. Cold Steel is in a lower price range and some of their products are supposed to be quite good for the price. For instance, I have heard very favorable reviews of their Scottish broadsword and their 1830 Napoleonic saber. Some of their other swords have had less favorable reviews, such as the Hand-and-a-half and Shasqua saber.
A few other sites that you might find of interest are:
hmmm, haven't figured out how to post a hyperlink on this site yet.....sorry

www.swordforum.com for discussion forums, articles, and a retailer of some ATrim and ArmArt swords

www.lutel.cz for sturdy, attractive, reasonably priced reproduction weapons

www.a-work-of-art.net for Del Tins and Lutels (even though the Lutels are not shown on his site, Art has many in stock and can order it for you if he doesn't)

www.allsaintsblades.com for Angus Trim swords. From what I hear of his work, if you find something that appeals to you, you can't get a "bad" sword from Gus. ATrims are also easily "upgradeable" in the aesthetics department.

www.armourclass.com for nice, sturdy swords, especially mid-level baskethilts.

www.arms-n-armor.com for high-end reproductions of historical weapons.

That should get you started. Good luck and best regards.

Mike

(edited for clarity - I hope)
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: New collector soliciting advice         Reply with quote

Hi, Chris! All of what Mr. Fletcher says is pretty much spot on.

Mike Fletcher wrote:

www.swordforum.com for discussion forums, articles, and a retailer of some ATrim and ArmArt swords

www.lutel.cz for sturdy, attractive, reasonably priced reproduction weapons

www.a-work-of-art.net for Del Tins and Lutels (even though the Lutels are not shown on his site, Art has many in stock and can order it for you if he doesn't)

www.allsaintsblades.com for Angus Trim swords. From what I hear of his work, if you find something that appeals to you, you can't get a "bad" sword from Gus. ATrims are also easily "upgradeable" in the aesthetics department.

www.armourclass.com for nice, sturdy swords, especially mid-level baskethilts.

www.arms-n-armor.com for high-end reproductions of historical weapons.

That should get you started. Good luck and best regards.

Mike

(edited for clarity - I hope)

I am currently (anxiously!) waiting for my Lutel 15010 to come in from Czech Rep. It left the shop on Thursday 11th and is on its way. I believe that the quality and price point for the Lutel products are well mentioned on both this site and Sword Forum. The scuttlebutt is that the weapons are pretty darn solid, if a a touch at the heavy end of the range, while still being well within tolerances for period weapons. The fellow I spoke with from Lutel was a little stiff with his English, but his desire to provide good customer service more than made up for it. I have also heard great things about Albion and Arms & Armor. I have corresponded with both companies and find they both share a desire to provide the best product and customer service available for the prices they ask for. I also cannot forget Christian Fletcher, the man is quite very good at what he does, I have heard. His customer service is prompt and friendly. He answered several questions for this newbie without even batting an eye.

So many new weapons in mind... so little money... Laughing Out Loud

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Chris HusVar

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: New collector soliciting advice         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I am now eagerly, eagerly (eagerly, I tell you...) awaiting the arrival of my Late Period Spatha from Albion Armorers. I went with that one as it fits in with my current Late Roman/Migration Period items. I've read only good things about Albion and let me tell you, their customer service is top notch (Mike is a nice guy to talk to...). I only need a period scabbard at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again,
Chris HusVar
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: New collector soliciting advice         Reply with quote

Chris HusVar wrote:
I only need a period scabbard at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?Thanks Again,
Chris HusVar

Hi Chris

Albion makes excellent period scabbards .... but you probably know that from talking with them !

A few other sources for excellent scabbards are :

Russ Ellis @ http://www.tritonworks.com/

Art Elwell @ http://www.a-work-of-art.net/

Christian Fletcher @ http://www.christianfletcher.com/

Good luck, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Chris and welcome to myArmoury.com.

You've been given some excellent advise that will certainly point you in the right direction, and you're off to a good start with Albion Armorers. As for the other companies mentioned, Arms & Armor is and outstanding company in the midrange. Their work is some of the best found in that price range and their customer service is second to none. I've owned quite a few of their pieces and have been satisfied with all of them. Lutel also offers very good quality and value for the money. I own several Lutel items that I'm very happy with (these can be seen on my collection page). I love their impact weapons and axes. They have some unique designs that I haven't seen elsewhere.

We have quite a few weapons made by these makers listed in our features section, and on the collection pages.
Chris HusVar

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IT CAME, IT CAME, IT CAME!!!

I received my Late Period Spatha from Albion today (pretty good since they sent it on Friday...) and it is EXCELLENT. I'm new to swords, but I can recognize quality. The fit and finish of the weapon are great, nice and tight. The balance favors the blade, but I expected that with a wooden pommel (or lower guard is the correct term in this case, I believe). I would like to thank everyone for the good tips. I helps to have a more knowledgable collector to bounce questions off of. I have been a firearms collector for a long time and know that the knowledge so freely imparted here did not come easily, so again thank you. (BTW - if anyone needs help with a 19th-early 20th century firearm, please feel free to send me a personal message). Forgive me for regressing into "high-school" mode but........ DUDES, THIS SWORD IS WAAAAAAAY COOL!

Later,
Chris HusVar
Cincinnati, Ohio
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris HusVar wrote:
IT CAME, IT CAME, IT CAME!!!

I received my Late Period Spatha from Albion today (pretty good since they sent it on Friday...) and it is EXCELLENT. I'm new to swords, but I can recognize quality. The fit and finish of the weapon are great, nice and tight. The balance favors the blade, but I expected that with a wooden pommel (or lower guard is the correct term in this case, I believe). I would like to thank everyone for the good tips. I helps to have a more knowledgable collector to bounce questions off of. I have been a firearms collector for a long time and know that the knowledge so freely imparted here did not come easily, so again thank you. (BTW - if anyone needs help with a 19th-early 20th century firearm, please feel free to send me a personal message). Forgive me for regressing into "high-school" mode but........ DUDES, THIS SWORD IS WAAAAAAAY COOL!

Later,
Chris HusVar
Cincinnati, Ohio

Congratulations on the new sword! May she serve you well and true. Big Grin

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple more links:

Netsword

And if your tastes run to the exotic and esoteric, not to mention ethnographic:

"VikingSword", aka the Medieval Sword Resource Site, and the closely linked Ethographic Edged Weapons Resource Site.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Chris.

The Spatha was an excellent choice.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris,
Congrats on the new sword. Albion has some great stuff.

We Cincinnati folks (and there are a few of us) should have a sword-related get-together some time.

Could be fun.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New collector soliciting advice
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic