Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baron and Regent arrive............ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Baron and Regent arrive............         Reply with quote

.......and Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, Mikey fooled me into thinking that it was going to be three to four weeks before these things showed up. Liar, liar, pants on fire Razz They showed up a week to the day from our phone conversation, a very nice surprise.

To elaborate a bit: I had originally called Mike to cancel my Brescia order. As much as I loved that design it just seemed that the sword gods were conspiring against us on that particular project, so I decided to put that baby to bed and asked for a refund. I had thought that I would put the money towards a custom project. I could have payed a bill or some kind of grown-up thing, but where's the fun in that? I made a few contacts and wouldn't you know it no one had anything available. Consequently, I placed another call to Mikey and told him to make it an exchange instead of a refund.

All's well that ends well because I've just taken possesion of two very fine swords.

Observations:

No surprises with the Baron. It's exactly what I was hoping for, an excellent execution of an early medieval H&H. A quick sword that belies its size, and it makes a great companion for the Big Johnsson.

As for the Regent: HOLY HOLLOW GRINDING BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric and Nathan both told me that I'd love this sword, and they were both very correct. This sword rocks! The hollow grinding is executed to perfection. The sword is quick and fast, but big (I like'em big *g*). I normally hate to use terms like perfect and flawless but I'm afraid that they apply in this case. This is a sword that is just as striking in its handling as it is in its appearance. Albion broke new ground with the introduction of the Next Generation Line. They've raised the bar even further with these hollow ground models. Yes, there are other hollow ground blades on the production market, but they don't possess certain critical geometries and volumes that are critical to function and design. The Albion NG's certainly do. Big Kudos to Steve Fisher, Jason Dingledine, and everyone else involved in the blade making division at Albion. You guys have impressed me.

I won't elaborate further as these swords will be the subject of their own respective reviews. We don't normally like to announce upcoming features prior to release, but I was so excited that I had to share.

The folks at Albion did a great job of quickly rectifying a very frustrating situation. Well done.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 21 Jun, 2004 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I told you you'd like the Baron. Happy It's quite a sword. I'm having fun figuring out how to use it.

The Regent is even more amazing than the Baron (which is amazing).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Patrick! The Regent was my favorite Albion, that I had the privilage to handle at the Atlanta Blade Show.

William
aka Bill
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: baron         Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAGHH!!!!!! I ordered mine a week ago too! And it hasn't come yet Cry
'Course Mike told me 3-4 weeks as well, so I need to be patient. need to be patient... need to be patient... Blush
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Patrick! Hurry up and put Mac to work on getting some pics up! Seems everyone be getting goodies around the same time...good side by side shots requested Eek!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Patrick .... you medieval trooper you !

It's great to hear the spirited inflections of a satisfied man !

May the cruciform be with you , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new swords, Patrick! As always, I look forward to your excellent reviews of each. I am especially interested on reading your thoughts on the Baron as I have just paid off the remaining balance on mine today and look forward to delivery sometime next week.

Congrats again,

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like my Regent too.

Tell you what though, that Landgraf is a sleeper that sneaks up on your when you play with it.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Baron and Regent arrive............         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

As for the Regent: HOLY HOLLOW GRINDING BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes the Regent does such things to people swinging it. Big Grin
Amazing sword, it is.
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a fellow Baron custodian, I'm glad you like it. I just received the Knight and will post a review with pix Tues or Wed. I'm very impressed with the handling of this sword. If you get the chance, try out one of these.

Regards,
Brian M
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

Congratulations on receiving your two new beauties-- The Baron, Regent, and Sovereign are currently my favourites from the NG Medieval range. I chose the Baron as my first one and the Regent would be my second choice so I heartily applaud your good taste Happy .

Having said that, while I was the first to order a Baron I still haven't received mine-- so I envy you the pleasure of holding it. This isn't a complaint, incidentally-- it is a consequence of wanting a scabbard with it. I asked Albion to make me a custom scabbard for it (which I am told will be finished this week!!!) and decided that I would rather wait and receive sword and scabbard together than separately... although I have questioned my wisdom since then Happy

Either way, congrats and thanks for your feedback on the Regent-- it makes me want it all the more!

David
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Having said that, while I was the first to order a Baron I still haven't received mine-- so I envy you the pleasure of holding it. This isn't a complaint, incidentally-- it is a consequence of wanting a scabbard with it. I asked Albion to make me a custom scabbard for it (which I am told will be finished this week!!!)

I'm very eager to see what scabbard design they choose for the Baron!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations Patrick!

Two very nice choices Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Quote:
I'm very eager to see what scabbard design they choose for the Baron!

Me too, Nathan.

Originally I had ordered the scabbard on the basis of it being a custom job. I'd corresponded with Peter J on the style (placing it within its proper historical context), and the feeling I was hoping to convey with it-- the story it would tell, if you like. When I communicated my thoughts (most of which were really Peter's thoughts-- credit where it is due Happy ) they suggested that (seeing as Peter had already given his input) it might be just as well to make it as the standard Baron scabbard rather than a custom.

At this point I'm not 100% certain as to whether it is being approached as a custom scabbard or "the Baron Scabbard". If it is "the Baron Scabbard" it is possible that they have made some changes from my original proposal. I'm fairly relaxed with it either way-- having seen Kevin and company's work (online at least) I am confident that they will amaze me whatever they do. I'll put up some photos as soon as I have it.

David
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="David McElrea"]Nathan Robinson wrote:
Quote:

At this point I'm not 100% certain as to whether it is being approached as a custom scabbard or "the Baron Scabbard". If it is "the Baron Scabbard" it is possible that they have made some changes from my original proposal. I'm fairly relaxed with it either way-- having seen Kevin and company's work (online at least) I am confident that they will amaze me whatever they do. I'll put up some photos as soon as I have it.

David

Hey David, Kevin is working long hours to bring your scabbard to life. I know you will be very pleased. He has spared no level of research and has redone several of the fittings to get it right. Your scabbard will be a "custom" scabbard that will serve as the prototype from later Baron scabbards. Kevin is trying to figure good processes for doing these in the future. So, you are getting a "custom" scabbard, but future projects will be "custom level" scabbards. Basically, the first scabbard is always a custom since we never have done it before. For fear of jinxing it, I won't give you a date, but you should have your sword and scabbard soon. Sorry for the delay...but it will be worth it...in fact, I want one...

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great to hear it, Patrick Happy

The Baron was going to be a purchase until I realized that I didn't need another hand & a half Wink It is still a very drool-worthy, beefy sword that I may still one day get, as it seems to be the largest currently in the NG lineup and will likely be the largest for a while to come.

The Regent... well, as others have said, it is a beauty. Not particularly my style, but I do like the hollowground blade. The grip makes for a minor turn-off, however. The Kingmaker should feature another exciting hollowground blade, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

But first, a Sempach, and then a Sovereign... that'll put 4 NG's in my collection and I'll likely hold there for some time.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Quote:
Hey David, Kevin is working long hours to bring your scabbard to life. I know you will be very pleased. He has spared no level of research and has redone several of the fittings to get it right. Your scabbard will be a "custom" scabbard that will serve as the prototype from later Baron scabbards. Kevin is trying to figure good processes for doing these in the future. So, you are getting a "custom" scabbard, but future projects will be "custom level" scabbards. Basically, the first scabbard is always a custom since we never have done it before. For fear of jinxing it, I won't give you a date, but you should have your sword and scabbard soon. Sorry for the delay...but it will be worth it...in fact, I want one...

Thanks for that, Eric (and Kevin)-- again, I have no doubt that it will be magnificent. On the one hand, (like anyone) I find it to be an agonising wait, but on the other, I know that you guys are wanting it to be the best it can be, so time is necessary-- I honestly have no complaints. It's a privilege to be able to do this with you. Thanks for explaining the process, though.

Yours,

David
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

What colour grip did you go for on the Regent (and the Baron, for that matter)?

Thanks,

David
James King

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

congratulations Patrick! I handled the Baron in Atlanta and it is a "Real Man" type of sword.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Baron and Regent arrive............         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
.......and Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric and Nathan both told me that I'd love this sword, and they were both very correct. This sword rocks! The hollow grinding is executed to perfection. The sword is quick and fast, but big (I like'em big *g*). I normally hate to use terms like perfect and flawless but I'm afraid that they apply in this case. This is a sword that is just as striking in its handling as it is in its appearance. Albion broke new ground with the introduction of the Next Generation Line. They've raised the bar even further with these hollow ground models. Yes, there are other hollow ground blades on the production market, but they don't possess certain critical geometries and volumes that are critical to function and design. The Albion NG's certainly do. Big Kudos to Steve Fisher, Jason Dingledine, and everyone else involved in the blade making division at Albion. You guys have impressed me.

I won't elaborate further as these swords will be the subject of their own respective reviews. We don't normally like to announce upcoming features prior to release, but I was so excited that I had to share.

The folks at Albion did a great job of quickly rectifying a very frustrating situation. Well done.

I'll certainly second that emotion on the Regent! It is in Christian Fletcher's hands at this moment for scabbarding (is that a word? If not, it should be!). Can't wait to get it back!

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baron and Regent arrive............
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: