Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Period scabbard for AT1312 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Period scabbard for AT1312         Reply with quote

Been working on this for a little while and I have almost finished it. I just need a chape and buckle furniture. Anyone have some good sources for both?

Attachment: 60.3 KB
close up 2.JPG

Attachment: 74.44 KB
full shot.JPG

David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that looks really great Tom! Don't know about chapes, but I know Historic Enterprises has some very good buckles.

http://www.historicenterprises.com/
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks excellent! Right in my favourite period. Can't help much on the supplies. Could you slit/split and tie for your belt ends and forget the buckle (not sure if that would be authentic)?
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Either would be period, from what I have been able to find out. I think it may be to late to cut slots as the belt is an even 1" wide. Period pictures of split and tied belts I have seen are much wider.
I was combing through Records of the Medieval Sword and I may have a period scabbard tip solution that should be quite simple to make. I hear Historic Enterprises have some nice belt furniture, though I want to find some others to compare for price and styles.
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Carr wrote:
I was combing through Records of the Medieval Sword and I may have a period scabbard tip solution that should be quite simple to make..

Hope you dont mind me asking which scabbard chapes are you talking about in records of the medieval sword? last time i made a scabbard i gave up the time i got to the chape because i couldnt figure out how to make one.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another source of interesting buckles is Fettered Cock Pewters: http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/page_belts.htm
They don't carry chapes, though.
Gaukler wares has a more limited set of buckles, but Mark does do custom work - so if you know how you want the chape, he may be able to make one. He does carry antique chapes as well (look under the medieval antiques) (useful inspiration, perhaps). http://www.medievalwares.com/metalwork.htm
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice job...are we going to see a new scabbard maker become available?
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
nice job...are we going to see a new scabbard maker become available?

Already making them, sort of on the side. I will have to find a retailer that will post them on his site to get more exposer though. I have some examples posted in Photobucket of wood scabbards, This is the first I have covered in leather. The plain wood ones look very good as it is and they are quite affordable. PM me and I can send you some pics and prices.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:
Tom Carr wrote:
I was combing through Records of the Medieval Sword and I may have a period scabbard tip solution that should be quite simple to make..

Hope you dont mind me asking which scabbard chapes are you talking about in records of the medieval sword? last time i made a scabbard i gave up the time i got to the chape because i couldnt figure out how to make one.

If you look at the Type XII's and find the sword of Sancho the IV I believe, you will see a scabbard tip that is a simple strip of metal curved over the end with dog ears that attach to the flats of the scabbard. A couple of pages farther along and there are 2 drawings of the same thing from contemperary depictions of scabbards for type XII's. It seems the easiest and most authenic choice. Have to find some thin copper or silver sheet and shape to fit.
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Carr wrote:
Lee Watts wrote:
Tom Carr wrote:

If you look at the Type XII's and find the sword of Sancho the IV I believe, you will see a scabbard tip that is a simple strip of metal curved over the end with dog ears that attach to the flats of the scabbard. A couple of pages farther along and there are 2 drawings of the same thing from contemperary depictions of scabbards for type XII's. It seems the easiest and most authenic choice. Have to find some thin copper or silver sheet and shape to fit.

oh yes is see now. just finding the thin silver sheet should be the problem part
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well quess what I just found in a drawer. An old thin silver plated candle dish thing the wife found at a garage sale. Should be enough to make the tip piece and a little left over. Now I need some tin snips! Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Period scabbard for AT1312
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic