Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > family Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: family         Reply with quote

Hi gentlemen, i know its not really about weapons or armors but im trying to know more about my familly but can't find anything before my ancestor Francois Hamel who lived in avresmenil ,normandie in the 16th or 17th century his birth was in 1599.

if anyone can find anything before 1599 it would be awesome because i don't know much about my familly and want to know everything there is to know...

oh! before i forget here's my familly crest.

Attachment: 77.42 KB
hamel1.jpg

Daniel Michaelsson

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: familly         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Hi gentlemen, i know its not really about weapons or armors but im trying to know more about my familly but can't find anything before my ancestor Francois Hamel who lived in avresmenil ,normandie in the 16th or 17th century his birth was in 1599.

if anyone can find anything before 1599 it would be awesome because i don't know much about my familly and want to know everything there is to know...

oh! before i forget here's my familly crest.

Is that your actual family crest or is it something you pulled off of the internet or on a fridge-magnet? I mean no offense by this but family crests are very uncommon and usually reserved for 'nobles' - if it is just like the rubbish you can get on key-rings, fridge-magnets, et cetera then it would probably be a hinderance to your search. If not then that's very cool Happy !

Also, being able to trace your lineage so far back is great! I can only trace mine to about 1700 being the squalid peasant that I am Laughing Out Loud .
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I think you may get a surprising amount of people with their own family crest, perhaps due to the branching out and multiplying of certain families. In some monuments here in Spain you can see the most common of family names with very authentic looking, few-centuries old crest engraved in an old wall. Here is mine and must be real since we even have a little town called after us, San Asensio (actually that is not entirely truth as both could also have follow a parallel evolution from the corruption of the Latin word “ascensio” –rise-. But I prefer the have-a-town-named-after-you version)

Attachment: 116.52 KB
asensio.jpg

Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel, it is the real crest of my family.
the thing is that my ancestor francois had four childrens but two came to canada (jean and charles) in 1656.

it is weird because i can only trace evidence of the existence of my family in the 16 century but nothing before...

still trying to find more but would be better to find some text of the period to find more info.

is it possible that the family name came only in the early renaissance because normally it would be easier to find am i right?
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Daniel, it is the real crest of my family.

Hi Etienne,
I found the crest with this link : http://www.luz-herald.net/free/
It is related to a Hamel family from Artois (an old "province" in France) and is described as follow:
De Gueules, au chef d'or, chargé de trois molettes d'éperon à cinq pointes de sable. Which is exactly what the shield (écu) on your crest shows.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armorial Crests aren't a family thing per se, but are given to one person in a family. Typically, a child could assume the crest, but only with permission from his (or her) country's college of arms and only after the death of the previous owner. If the parent is awarded an armorial crest, and the child is later awarded an armorial crest, the two crests need not be similar. Often though, they are similar, but they must vary by at least one significant point. Each armorial crest is treated as a copyrighted image in that country, and use of such without permission can be, under certain circumstances, pursued legally.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know jean and i found interesting to find it come from artois all i know is that francois was in normandy when half of his children departed for canada in 1656 he was married in rouen i think...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > family
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic