Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > May 11: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

How much have you used monumental brasses, effigies, and historical artwork as part of your research efforts surrounding the study of arms and armour?
They have been a main source of information for me
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
I routinely use these in my studies
39%
 39%  [ 44 ]
I occasionally use them as a source
36%
 36%  [ 41 ]
Not nearly as much as I want
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
I’ve never considered using them for study
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 112

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: May 11: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Monumental Brasses
An article by Chad Arnow

Arma Bohemia Ballock Dagger

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

Arma Bohemia Ballock Dagger

Added to Chad's collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Monumental Brasses         Reply with quote

A well done article about a somewhat rare topic. I had no idea that so many existed, or that so many had been destroyed. It's a shame there's little correlation with the animals at the figure's feet; I've often wondered what those were about.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second the thanks to you for putting this together. Really a much more interesting topic than I'd realized.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Happy I never intended to get so interested in brasses, but so many arms and armour books reference them that I decided to look more into the subject. I now have around a 1/2 dozen books on brasses. Happy

I could have gone into a lot more depth, but I think that would be pushing it for a hobbyist site like ours. Effigies (the 3D statues on tombs) are worthy of their own article, but finding books on them is even harder than books on brasses. Maybe some day....

M.,
Regarding the correlation of animals at people's feet, there have been a system as many have suggested but enough don't seem to follow that system that it casts enough doubts to discount any correlation.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sat 16 May, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gothic Eye is an awesome website for English/British funereal brasses. Whenever Osprey cites a brass or effigy as the inspiration for thier colour plates, I try to find a photo of the original, so I can rate the interpretation myself.
“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 16 May, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Ekelmann wrote:
Gothic Eye is an awesome website for English/British funereal brasses. Whenever Osprey cites a brass or effigy as the inspiration for thier colour plates, I try to find a photo of the original, so I can rate the interpretation myself.

Gothis eye is great. They also have line drawings of effgies, though sometimes it's not easy to know if you're looking at a line drawing of a brass or effigy. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 17 May, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of you may have noticed that Nathan is phasing in an updated way of viewing pictures in the collection galleries. This slicker approach makes it easier to browse through all the images (backwards and forwards) in the same window as the item's page. Before, you had to click on a picture to get back to the item page, then click on the next picture to view it, and so on. Now, click on any photo and it opens on top of the text. You can click on the right hand side of the picture to view the next image or the left hand side of the image to view the previous image. Pretty slick and a better browsing experience. Happy The actively updated galleries have already been enhanced with this new interface.

Also, each gallery now has a link to "Show my complete collection", which is a list of all the items currently published for that collection. From that list, you can see each item in each category and choose where to browse to. You can still just choose a category from the drop-down menu at the top and browse, of course. The new "complete collection" link just lets you streamline your browsing if you wish to.

These may seem like simple changes, but they required a lot of Nathan's time to implement. My thanks go to him for his continuing efforts to make the user's experience better.

P.S. Isn't that a cool ballock dagger in this update? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 17 May, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Chad, for taking note and mentioning the newly formatted galleries.

When looking at photos in them, you can also hit the right and left arrow keys to browse the photos like a slideshow presentation.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 17 May, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thanks, Chad, for taking note and mentioning the newly formatted galleries.

When looking at photos in them, you can also hit the right and left arrow keys to browse the photos like a slideshow presentation.

Cool. Happy And the escape key takes you out of that view back to the item page. So does clicking on the black area around any image, or clicking the X to close the view.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > May 11: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic