Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > which spear is best for the kit? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: which spear is best for the kit?         Reply with quote

Here is a couple of pictures. I dont know which spear would go best with my kit. I would like something that fits historically with the armour I have. But I have no idea which spear is best suited for me. My price range of the spear is $50.00 and I do not mind buying an ash pole seperate.

Here is a link to the site I saw with some decent spears. If you know a better place to get a spear please let me know. Oh, and the breastplate is on my list to get next. http://www.kultofathena.com/spears.htm

Thank everyone for their suggestions and help. This community surely has helped me (and I am sure others) to make wise choices on items they buy concerning these sorts of matters

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It depend of what kind of armor u have is it english, french, italian?
what century is it used?
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe from Milan, the second largest city of Italy. From the early 15th century through the 17th century. all plate and future plate is from www.merctailor.com
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

personnaly i think i would take the Large Leaf Blade Spear Head from windlass or the Blunted Medium Spear Head from GDFB but again it is my opinion (i only found these types for italia 15 to 17 century...)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd get this:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-551-euro-spearhead.aspx

For your purposes (and mine and most folks') I think an ash haft isn't a good investment, especially if you can't inspect it yourself and select a perfectly straight piece. Just get a (STRAIGHT) 1.25"x8' poplar dowel from Lowes, etc., cut it to 7', taper and step one end and either use a pressure fit or drill straight through socket and wood (use a cobalt bit if the socket isn't already drilled) and use a peened nail for a rivet. Paint with boiled linseed oil. The finished spear will look great, cover a variety of periods and be very, very sturdy. Best of all, it'll cost you only about $60, including shipping for the spear head.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if you are to be a "knight" or man at arms since your all in armour a spear is beneath you. you'd want a bec, pole axe, kuss or any other pole weapon rather than that of a regular infantryman.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
if you are to be a "knight" or man at arms since your all in armour a spear is beneath you. you'd want a bec, pole axe, kuss or any other pole weapon rather than that of a regular infantryman.

I would not be so sure. The amount of time given to spear fighting in combat manuals suggests that they weren't as passe as all that. Ringeck goes into great detail of how a man in full armour would fight with a spear, and Tallhoffer also has quite a few plates given over to it. I'm not sure about the other masters, but I think spears are legitimate knightly weapons for a lot longer than a lot of people think.
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 16 May, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having lived and traveled in Italy extensively, for that time period and the armor you're wearing, at MINIMUM I would recommend a partizan or halberd type weapon, you have way too much armor/higher class to be a basic spearman.

Most of the upper-class/better armored types were using pollaxes, halberds/glaives or similar weapon, because a spear is less effective against armor.

I've got a mess of photos of typical Italian weaponry from that and other periods around if you need help.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > which spear is best for the kit?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic