Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Big Johnsson goes camping! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Big Johnsson goes camping!         Reply with quote

I just returned from four days of camping in the mountains with the Boy Scouts. Lots of rain and fog this year at the Spanish Peaks Scout Ranch in Colorado. This year the theme for the Cubs and Weablos was "Knights of the Round Table". Of course, my lovely wife volunteered me to give an A&A presentation Eek!

Due to space limitations I didn't take much. I did take along Big Johnsson, Milestone, and my Evans Scramasax, along with a replica of a medieval crossbow (Which had been in storage for ten years, and something that I had honestly forgotten about until my wife mentioned it. Look for pics in my collection in the future.), a viking style shield, and my maille hauberk.

BJ and Milestone were the hit of the presentation, with a lot of "ooooh!" and "aaaah!" when I pulled them out. Fortunately the parents got into it as much as the kids. I fielded a lot of pretty intelligent questions and managed to dispell a few of the well know sword myths. Everyone seemed to be very interested in the scrams' pattern welded blade, as well as my explanation of PW'd blades vs mono-steel blades, and the reason for both.

I talked one of the camp staff into putting on my hauberk which was a real hoot. Overall the response was honestly more than I had expected, especially from the parents. Given the rain and fog I did spend quite a lot of time wiping the boys down. Fortunately everyone came home intact.

Now for some dry socks.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Way to go, Patrick! That sounds like it was a great four days ... and it sounds like everyone, especially the kids and parents, took home some great pleasant memories that'll last a lifetime. Happy The rain & fog may have caused the need for some good wiping down on the equipment, but I bet it sure made for a nice setting given the theme of "Knights of the Round Table".

Glad to have you back, and glad you all had a great time! Happy

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your such a good guy, Scoutmaster Patrick !

It's wonderful how you added an extra level of education to this outing .... must have been alot fun, too !

Now go double check those knooks & crannies for rust ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like good fun.
As a treaser who made the crossbow and what do you think of it, in a very general sense?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

As a rule I'm not the touchy feely type (big suprise to those of you who've met me) so I wasn't wild about the deal. I can talk for hours with adults on the subject, but I wasn't really thrilled about doing a "gosh, gee wiz!" kind of kid thing. In the end I have to admit that I really enjoyed it, and I recieved a lot of positive feedback from the parents.

The only problem I had was with the Camp Director. I was approached by our District co-ordinator on the deal a few months ago. Apparently the Camp Director wasn't fully informed that I was bringing this stuff along. He's a bit of a recluse who lives at the Camp year-round and really seems to have an authority complex. (He really climbed on a bunch of ten year old kids for not showing proper etiquitte during the daily flag ceremony. I agreed with him in principal, but he was a complete butt munch in his delivery.)

After I had done my presentation I suggested that we give the kids an opportunity to shoot the cross bow. We do archery every year so I thought the kids would get a kick out of it. None of the Staff objected, including the Range Master who was excited about the idea. The Camp Nazi, however, went ballistic. I was then informed that I never should have brought any of *that* stuff into Camp, and that I wasn't going to do "shi!" unless he said so, etc., etc. (Everything was kept secured in a locked steel trailer that I personally checked several times a day.) He's into the Mountain Man/Rendesvous thing and doesn't hesitate to carry a muzzle loading rifle around camp, so I find it a bit illogical that we're having a fit over a bunch of swords and a cross bow. Needless to say, the shooting demonstration didn't happen and the rest of the Staff were very apologetic. My wife was proud of me because I didn't bitchslap the guy right then and there (getting soft I guess).

Joe,

The crossbow was made for me by a gentleman with the last name of Watson (no relation to Angel Sword). I picked it up from him at the SCA Estrella War about fifteen years ago, so I wouldn't know how to contact him today. It's a large hand held crossbow with a walnut stock with ash or oak inlay (can't remember which). It's an interesting weapon, although I find the longbow far superior (wish I had one). It's definetly more powerful than the average bow that we use today. I can see why it was used by the rank and file of other european countries rather than the longbow. It's far more forgiving than a bow of any kind. After I post some pics I'm considering selling it off.

James Aldrich

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The crossbow-- would that be David Watson of http://www.crossbows.net/?

JSA
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Aldrich wrote:
The crossbow-- would that be David Watson of http://www.crossbows.net/?

JSA

Yes, that's the one!

Here's one that's very similar to mine:

Thanks!

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I look forward to the review.

I have a couple more swords to get.

Then I need a good gambeson and some mail.

Then I want good Crossbow replica. They did not interest me that much until I saw a few originals in museums. All the inlay and care that went into them really caught my eye for some reason. Its a weapon appropriate for a good cross section of my ethnic roots too. Of course I have to get one that is function so that is why I'm curious about your'se. Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Patrick,
Yes, this sounds like a great trip, perhaps one the little ones will be bitten by the same bug of historical A&A study/collecting that has afflicted us. If you don't mind- who made your hauberk and what do you think of it. Thanks very much, Jeremy
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Then I want good Crossbow replica. They did not interest me that much until I saw a few originals in museums. All the inlay and care that went into them really caught my eye for some reason. Its a weapon appropriate for a good cross section of my ethnic roots too. Of course I have to get one that is function so that is why I'm curious about your'se. ;)

A wide variety of reproduction crossbows are out there, with prices ranging from suspiciously low to amazingly overpriced. I bought one of the Deepeeka siege crossbows with a steel prod and block & tackle cocking system, thinking it would be at least a decent wall hanger of moderate size. When it arrived I was startled by its huge dimensions and incredible power. You could probably kill a moose with it easily, if you can only carry it far enough into the wilds to find a moose.

I am curious about the smaller crossbows offered by K+K Art at very reasonable prices.
http://us.armouronline.com/home/products/crossbows

Anybody out there ever handled one of these items?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Patrick,
Yes, this sounds like a great trip, perhaps one the little ones will be bitten by the same bug of historical A&A study/collecting that has afflicted us. If you don't mind- who made your hauberk and what do you think of it. Thanks very much, Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I made my hauberk. I originally started it while I was living in California. It wasn't finished before my discharge, and when I moved back to the midwest it sat in the closet for ten years. A few years ago I shattered my right wrist in a martial arts "incident". I had a lot of time sitting at home so I decided to finish the hauberk as part of my physical therapy. It's made from butted links, but I made it myself and feel a certain pride there. I'll never do it again!

Don Halter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like everyone had fun despite the totalitarian regime! Wink

We used to do similar things with one of the local elementary schools here. they always have a week of "king Arthur" where the whole school has a medieval theme for a week. We'd have a limited weapons collection and demonstration at the end of the week and would have parents and all in attendence. The new principal decided this was against the school's zero tolerance policy and stopped it cold. To top it off, he felt armour fit into the same "violence oriented" category. Oh well...at least we had six years worth of kids who got a new interest!

Don "Krag" Halter
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don Halter wrote:
Sounds like everyone had fun despite the totalitarian regime! Wink

We used to do similar things with one of the local elementary schools here. they always have a week of "king Arthur" where the whole school has a medieval theme for a week. We'd have a limited weapons collection and demonstration at the end of the week and would have parents and all in attendence. The new principal decided this was against the school's zero tolerance policy and stopped it cold. To top it off, he felt armour fit into the same "violence oriented" category. Oh well...at least we had six years worth of kids who got a new interest!

Before our schools adopted their completely overboard and asinine policies (such as no weapons being displayed on t-shirts, no gun-like finger pointing, etc.) I used to do several presentations every year when the local school would do their studies on English literature. I finally stopped for two reasons: I didn't appreciate the overall attitude of the older highschool age students, and new laws dealing with weapons on school grounds.

When I pointed out that bringing weapons onto the property was now a violation of state and federal law I was assured that everything was approved by the admin. and the school boards. I then asked them who would shoulder the blame and responsibility if one of the kids accidently injured themselves or someone else. The response was usually quite a bit cooler to that one. My wife is a fifteen year veteran of our public schools (should be campaign medals for that) and we both agree that some of our newest regulations have gone completely overboard.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Big Johnsson goes camping!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic