Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Three Kingdoms (China) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kevin G. Murtagh

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Three Kingdoms (China)         Reply with quote

Anyone interested in the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese History?
Bennison N

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I am. A really interesting time...
"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am as well but I have only a general understanding of the era. Why do you ask?

RPM
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this has to be the most famous period in chinese history judging by the exposure it gets in chinese movie epics. "The emperor and the assassin", "hero" to name only those two always use this specific historical background.
Kevin G. Murtagh

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just wondering seems as I'm the only one at my school who has heard of it (unfortunately) I just always found the tactics and weaponry used more interesting than anything in medieval Europe.
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I became quite interested in this when I was younger due to the 'Dynasty Warriors' games on the Playstation which are based (loosely) on 'The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.'

John Woo has actually just made a movie called 'Red Cliff' about one of the major battles of the time. The production looks good, so it will be interesting to see the arms and armour they use.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Well this has to be the most famous period in chinese history judging by the exposure it gets in chinese movie epics. "The emperor and the assassin", "hero" to name only those two always use this specific historical background.

Julien, the period you're thinking of is Qin (Chin) Dynasty, not 3 Kingdoms Era. This time is so popular because China takes it's name from this period (Chin-na), language (written AND spoken) was standardised, money too. The Emperor of this time, Qin Shihuangdi, had the Terracotta Army made to protect his dead body.

The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too.

I studied this time in some depth a few years ago. What did you want to know about it?

अजयखड्गधारी
Li Jin

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Liu Bei is the heir of Imperial family. People usually thinks that he is a Wei Jun Zi in English it means Hypocrite. Liu Bei gone through a difficult time, hes son Liu Chan is something we called The one who cannot be lifted. Meaning no matter how you teach he just won't get it right.

many tins happened during that time quite interesting. But todays novel we read about is a Romance. So it migh not be the truth.
Kevin G. Murtagh

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah i got into it through Dynasty Warriors too, which led to a history project for school and I was hooked from there Happy
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too.

Um...the Three Kingdoms period was the time of the decline and fall of the Han Dynasty, not its rise.

Personally, I find this period a bit overdone (or maybe that's just me having read too many Chinese epics and watched too many Chinese movies), and I'm rather more interested in the Tang Dynasty and the last century-and-a-half of the Ming Dynasty before its fall to Manchu invaders. Even when it comes to the Sanguo states themselves, I must say I'm not too impressed by the characters and institutions of the Shu state (with the sole exception of Zhuge Liang); instead, the ones who piqued my interest were the more ambiguous characters at and around the head of the Wei state, especially the good old devil Cao Cao himself.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haha! You're right! I hadn't noticed that...

It should have said "The Three Kingdoms Period is a little later, and led to the END OF THE Han Dynasty, "The Golden Age of Poetry". I love the stories of this time... Liu Bei's Generals in particular, their weapons too."

Thanks for noticing that, mate.

अजयखड्गधारी
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Never been much of an Eastern history person (which is probably not good), but this period sounds rather interesting.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
J Anstey

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Bennison N wrote:

Um...the Three Kingdoms period was the time of the decline and fall of the Han Dynasty, not its rise.

Personally, I find this period a bit overdone (or maybe that's just me having read too many Chinese epics and watched too many Chinese movies), and I'm rather more interested in the Tang Dynasty and the last century-and-a-half of the Ming Dynasty before its fall to Manchu invaders. Even when it comes to the Sanguo states themselves, I must say I'm not too impressed by the characters and institutions of the Shu state (with the sole exception of Zhuge Liang); instead, the ones who piqued my interest were the more ambiguous characters at and around the head of the Wei state, especially the good old devil Cao Cao himself.

Hi Lafayette et al

I currently have a Tang Jian sword being made for me by one of the few sword smiths in China making authentic Chinese swords.

THis guy starts by smelting his own steel from Iron rich river sand!!! I hope to share some pics when I get a chance.

Cheers

Jason

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Three Kingdoms (China)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic