Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I can't decide!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: I can't decide!!         Reply with quote

I have been pacing back and forth for months now trying to decide which sword I want for my reenactment group. Iv been looking at paul chen's/ Tinker two handed longsword and Albion's Epée de Guerre and I can't decide which one would be best for me.

In my reenactment group we do historical techniques within stage combat, to make it more appealing to an audience Cool

What caught my eye with the Tinker longswords was that it was light, simple looking and that it could be disassembled if i ever needed to replace the blade, crossguard or pommel. The only thing that I have disliked about paul chen swords was that they didn't have that "ting!" noise when you meet them with another blade (spring steel.)

Were as the Epée de Guerre are made of high carbon steel, peened through the pommel and have that "ting!" sound when you meet with another blade.

Attachment: 19.75 KB
epee-1.jpg
or this one

Attachment: 76.05 KB
2008CASbsGlam1.jpg
this one
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That photo looks more like the Tinker/Casi bastard sword, than the Longsword. Which one are you considering?

I think you will be pleased with either the Maestro or the Tinker/Casi.

Not many have the Epee de Guerre yet, but I'm sure it is comparable to the popular Liechtenaur. It is almost 2 times as expensive as the other sword. But I think it is the better sword. If the extra money isn't a problem, I would go with the Maestro.

The only thing I can think of against the Tinker/Casi is that it may not go through as stringent a quality control process as the Albion, and you have a small chance of getting a lemon.

I wonder which one has the more durable edges?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
That photo looks more like the Tinker/Casi bastard sword, than the Longsword. Which one are you considering?

I think you will be pleased with either the Maestro or the Tinker/Casi.

Not many have the Epee de Guerre yet, but I'm sure it is comparable to the popular Liechtenaur. It is almost 2 times as expensive as the other sword. But I think it is the better sword. If the extra money isn't a problem, I would go with the Maestro.

The only thing I can think of against the Tinker/Casi is that it may not go through as stringent a quality control process as the Albion, and you have a small chance of getting a lemon.

I wonder which one has the more durable edges?

I have the Albion in longsword and a Tinker/Casi one hander for 1:33 as well a training partner/fellow student in my training group has the Tinker/Casi longsword and I would say that the Albion is marginally more resistant to damage to the blade but by only a small margin: Either seems to be able to stand up to multiple months ( The Albion, the Tinker has only seen a couple weeks of use so far ) of use with only minor dimpling of the edges and NO deep notches i.e. easy to clean up and make safe for the next practice session with only cosmetic damage one has to look very closely to see.

Some Windlass swords used by some as " economy " training swords have edges that need much more attention to clean up and look like saw blades in comparison. ( Safe as long as maintenance is not neglected but the ones that have been in use for multiple years don't look " pretty " Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, Windlass safety for sparring/training might vary very much by model and how thick the edges are as bought or dulled even more before use.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kevin Reeds

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum but have been involved in reenactment for a few years. My instructor turned me onto the Albion blunts. You can't go wrong with the Albion. A few of us in class use them and so far so good. They just feel more solid than the Tinker; we have one of those as a lender. Either way I don’t think you will be disappointed they are both decent. I would steer clear of the Windlass blunts, they just don’t hold up. Happy
"You bring a pen to a sword fight...?!?"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I can't decide!!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic