Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Angus Trim Type XIV: A Short ReviewProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam S.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: The Angus Trim Type XIV: A Short Review         Reply with quote

Angus Trim, aka Gus or "The Auld Dog," is known for making very functional blades that are big on performance. Gus himself admits that he's not going for a high-accuracy, high-finish aesthetic and with that in mind I'd like to present my review of the Atrim type XIV available through Christian Fletcher.

Some Vital Stats:

Overall length: 36 11/16" (93.1cm)
Blade length: 30 1/4" (76.9cm)
Blade width at guard: 2 3/16" (5.5cm)
Blade width 2" (5cm) from tip: 11/16" (.7cm)
Fuller length: 18" (45.7cm)
COG: 4 3/4" (9.5cm) From guard
COP: 18 1/2" (47cm) From guard
Primary Hilt Node: 18 1/2" (47cm) From guard
Pommel Node: 9 1/2" (24.1cm) From guard
I have no way to weigh this sword. It is listed as 2lb, 2oz on CF's website.

I received this sword second-hand in a trade via the classifieds. This is the third Atrim I've owned, and the second Oakeshott type XIV.

The blade type itself is interesting. While I agree that XIV is the closest type that this blade falls under it has aspects very close to a type XVI and even the two-handed XVII. This is fairly narrow compared to the other XIVs I've handled including all three of the Albion line (Yeoman, Sheriff, and Sovereign) as well as the other Atrim XIV I used to own. The fuller extends 2/3 of the blade ending in a very subtle flattened diamond/hexagonal cross-section, that then flows into a slight cross between lenticular and diamond near the point. If one were to disassemble the sword and not have any reference to the length, one could mistake it for a broad XVII. The finish on the blade is a rough satin with a little obvious scratching, and nothing major or truly ugly. The secondary edge bevel is quite apparent and when I have the tools to do so I'll be attempting to blend it in a little better, but it's not bad.

The sword has the typical Gus Trim compression fit hilt assembly with a recessed hex-nut holding the entire thing together. The pommel is cleanly machined and slotted to the tang and it doesn't rotate or wiggle once in place. The grip is leather over wood with two wide risers at either end. The guard is the only true disappointment of the fittings. It is a curved type 7. The reason for my disappointment is the finish. Beyond utilitarian, the guard has several very deep grinder scratches that need not be there, and indeed were not present on my other Atrim.

This sword handles fantastically. The primary hilt node (right behind the guard) is located just forward of the the terminus of the fuller, which is also the location of the Center of Percussion. This makes for a very fast and agile blade that tracks and recovers well and still has decent presence in the cut. The point is designed very well for thrusting at softer targets, or those very lightly armored. My primary blade training has been in Filipino arts, but I believe that this would be an ideal blade for work in I:33.

Other than the guard my only complaints would be: 1) The shape of the grip. About half way from guard to pommel the grip takes on a decidedly square shape that I find to be uncomfortable. It digs into my hand when extending into a long reaching swing or thrust. 2) The transition of the tang into it's threaded end. The shoulders of the transition are very square and would worry me under heavy use. I would have liked it if they'd had a more curved transition.

The sword also included a leather scabbard made by Christian Fletcher. It uses a layer of thin leather over a thick leather core to imitate the look of a wooden core scabbard of similar design. I'll use it for carrying once I have an appropriate belt but plan to avoid using it for storage for fear of moisture and rust.

All in all I'm extremely happy with this piece. In fact, I've not been able to go without playing with it at least a little each day since getting it. This is a sword that I plan to do a little custom work to, and I think will become a favorite of my arsenal.

Jeff Kauffeldt

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found that grip annoying as well. At least with an Atrim you can swap it for one you like of make one if you have the tools and materials.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Kauffeldt wrote:
I found that grip annoying as well. At least with an Atrim you can swap it for one you like of make one if you have the tools and materials.

Which is what I plan to do. That and take the fittings to a fine grit grinder and clean them up a little more. I also plan on making it into a wedged and peened assembly, but for that I'll need a workshop so It may be a while...

Oh well. I still can't leave the thing lie for more than a few hours when I'm at home.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Angus Trim Type XIV: A Short ReviewProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic