Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > New Server Migration: Status and Updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: New Server Migration: Status and Updates         Reply with quote

This message is to inform all members of an upcoming server move.

On Wednesday, April 22nd at 10:00 AM PST, myArmoury.com will migrate to a new and improved server.

I'll do my best to make this migration seamless, but there are bound to be a few issues including some downtime on Wednesday.

The main issue affecting the forum may include the loss of new posts made after April 22nd at 10:00 AM PST that may be made on the "old" server while the data migration is happening. This means that it might be best to refrain from posting anything important until you get the "all clear, we've completed the migration" message. I'll try to keep this from happening.

Other issues might include some broken features or links. I'll do my best to remedy any of these as I find them.

This will not be our final resting place, but is the next step to getting to that point. With luck, I'll be able to migrate to a final home within a year.

Thank you for your patience and continued support.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like we're done.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Done? ha! who said we're done?

We're on our third box in a week. This site is going to be the death of me.

I don't know if this is going to be more stable than the last. Time will tell.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Done? ha! who said we're done?

We're on our third box in a week. This site is going to be the death of me.

I don't know if this is going to be more stable than the last. Time will tell.

So hardware reliability problem or a software problem ? Not that I really understand this stuff. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems that with the new server it either works really well or gets rather clunky at times - yesterday I experienced quite a lot of troubles connecting to it, and likely not on my side as everything else worked just fine. This morning it works like charm though.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
It seems that with the new server it either works really well or gets rather clunky at times - yesterday I experienced quite a lot of troubles connecting to it, and likely not on my side as everything else worked just fine. This morning it works like charm though.

Yesterday was a horrific day for the server -- but that was a completely different server than what we're on right now. As I said, three boxes in a week. The newest migration happened on Wednesday morning onto a new, big and expensive box.

So we'll see how it goes. Currently, it's flying even though we're getting a ton of traffic hitting it right now.

Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, works extremely well at the moment. Let's hope it remains that way, was starting to get forum withdrawal symptoms yesterday Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
Indeed, works extremely well at the moment. Let's hope it remains that way, was starting to get forum withdrawal symptoms yesterday Happy

I might have, too, but I've put in about 20 hours of work into this site over the last 2 days and just want to break things at this point. haha

Carl W.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan - Anybody can dream of tossing computers off roofs. But how many can fantasize in historically accurate detail about donning armor & chopping them to tiny satisfying bits with swords & battle axes? :-)

ps. Thanks for all your efforts.
ps2. unplug them first :-)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new server's hard drive crashed. We lost some data -- posts and other stuff. I don't know how much. The site is now on a temporary server and a backup of the data is being used. myArmoury.com is going to be the death of me.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The new server's hard drive crashed. We lost some data -- posts and other stuff. I don't know how much. The site is now on a temporary server and a backup of the data is being used. myArmoury.com is going to be the death of me.

Yeah, when I was frantically clicking away and getting the dreaded error messages of the server not responding or something like it I couldn't help having a thought about you being up all night trying to get stuff fixed !

Temporary outages are annoying but losing posts or more important stuff is more frustrating and a real loss.

Multiple backups on multiple media seems like a good idea, if affordable, and not losing more than the most recent posts.

Anyway, wanted you to know that I was thinking about what you must have been going through getting thing sorted out: Just having an e-mail problem/outage due to my service provider screw-ups what enough to give me hives !

We really do get addicted to this stuff. Eek! Wink

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Things are a bit slow currently. We're on a temporary machine right now. It's not a very good box from what I can see.

I'm trying to get this site onto its final resting place: a brand new server all alone by itself. it's an expensive option and is going to take time for me to get it all set up and working.

Time time time money money money. I guess those things fix most problems in life, right?

I apologize for the lost data and the slow server that's going on right now.

Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

No need to apologize to anyone...

Find it impossible to send time, but did send a bit of the other element.

Regards,
Dan
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There will be downtime tomorrow. Maybe a lot.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We're on a dedicated server right now.

Currently there are 156 members online...

The server is doing very well so far. The performance is quite good.

I'm sure there may be some configuration glitches here and there and I'm chasing them as we speak.

There was a tiny bit of lost data during the migration. Not much. That couldn't have been helped unless I took the site offline for the entire day. I opted to keep it up during the migration and just deal with the minor annoyance of having lost a bit of data. I did disable the site for about 15 minutes to prevent people from posting new stuff right when the boxes were being changed over, but that was the only real downtime.

If you saw the "disabled" message for longer than that, you were actually viewing the old server and waiting for your Domain Name Server (DNS) to point to the new server. The time it takes for the DNS to propagate depends on many things, including your location on the planet and how long the various servers between you and myArmoury.com decide to cache the old info.

Anyway, things are looking good and with any luck I'll get to sleep at some point soon Happy

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Anyway, things are looking good and with any luck I'll get to sleep at some point soon Happy

So are you a big coffee drinker, and if yes, your on how many cups. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Seriously, thanks for all the work and some I assume aggravation. Big Grin Cool

( NOTE: The other day as I was having a very late night supper at one of my favourite restaurants that is open 24/7 the very nice waitress kept refilling my cup as I was reading a very good book and I estimate I must have had 15 coffee cups ......
Did have a little trouble getting to sleep that time ..... Usually even a Turkish coffee won't keep me up ! Oh, yeah, completely off topic ...... Now back to posting relevant stuff. Wink Big Grin ).

Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel your pain. I'm a system Engineer/Programmer/Administrator, so I know how things get... I'm glad to hear it's starting to settle down. Did you go with a colo option with your own box?

Shared hosting certainly has its pitfalls, but some of the newer services out there have matured quite well.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ed-

Yeah. I'm on a dedicated server now sitting in a colo with bandwidth to spare. No more overages. No more shared resources. No more mysterious costs at the end of the month. All those things are great. The only drawback is that the monthly cost is higher than it was before all this started, but it evens out given the benefits and is all predictable now.

I did the final software upgrade/installation today so we're solid now. I can relax.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to post a quick update and say that before myArmoury.com was on its own server, I had to reset the Web server every other day. There were many times where it crashed several times in a single day.

This dedicated server has been up for 145 days straight without a restart. In fact, I haven't done a single thing to the server itself or its configuration in months.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > New Server Migration: Status and Updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic