myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bowie Knife for Mac Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Bowie Knife for Mac         Reply with quote

Hey Mac

Here is a Bowie right up your alley.

Thought you might like to see it.

Best
Craig

Attachment: 41.5 KB
highlandbowie.jpg

Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a large Randall Bowie.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's "G"

http://www.randallknives.com/bowie.asp
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some times people are amazed at how slow Steve is; how is that boy allowed out unsupervised after sunset?

Just occurred to me that (A) Little John's Auction service has a website, and (2) Orange is two towns away from where I live. Some time during this week I think I'll shlep around there during lunch hour and snoop around, if I am allowed. Will report on what I find.

I might get me an entry and see what I can do on this one.

Attachment: 28.6 KB
Lot-1299.jpg

Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I thought I was going to get to see a basket-hilted Bowie knife!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes please let us know if they allow viewing Steve? I did not get to look through the whole site but I imagine one might find a treaure or two. I was refering to the dirk hilted piece at th top of the pic for Mac. :-) He probably doesn't need a second catagory of things to collect.

Craig
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Craig

Hmm .... a fella could "testify" on a grip like that *g*

Okay ... now what constitutes that as a bowie knife, as opposed to a dirk ?

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Question ?         Reply with quote

Hey Mac

Good question. Hmmmm makes you wonder if the name is just something people apply and not so exact a definition of what a piece is Wink

I would say it could fall in either description realy. The blade is a bit broad and not as tapered as most dirks but it would be a "spearpoint" bowie is classified a such. Me thinks its a cool knife and the rest of the energy should be put into toast Robert Burns or the glories of mist on the heather!

Keep well my friend
Craig
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Some times people are amazed at how slow Steve is; how is that boy allowed out unsupervised after sunset?

Just occurred to me that (A) Little John's Auction service has a website, and (2) Orange is two towns away from where I live. Some time during this week I think I'll shlep around there during lunch hour and snoop around, if I am allowed. Will report on what I find.

I might get me an entry and see what I can do on this one.

Now now Stephen, didnt you JUST get a curvy?
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Update         Reply with quote

Had a chance to go by Little John's. All the auction items were displayed and they were gracious enough to let me snoop around and handle most of the items. Might have spent hours, but alas, had to go back to work so...

Mac, the "bowie" in question is described as a spearpoint Bowie type knife. I personally would describe it as a dagger. The hilt IS Scottish type, carved and tacked. Blade is about 11 inches long and broad in width. Grip is a little too large around for me, but probably perfect for your ham-fist. No markings on it, so the Scottish origin is a speculation, as is the late 18th to early 19th century dating. For such a large blade it handled well in hand.

Before you ask, there was exact one (1) dirk, and a later period jeweled one at that. A couple of sgian dhu were in pretty good shape, however. There was exactly one (1) Scottish style flintlock pistol, signed "McLaughlan" on the lock and "Edinbough" on the barrel, circa 1810-1830. 6 1/4 inch barrel, OAL of 10 3/4 inch. Engraved in scroll and thistle motifs and pretty fair condition.

And one (1) antique sporran with research letter describing it as: "shield of arms of the sporran is that of the Marquesses of Huntly who are the chiefs of the Gordon clan." Maker's mark is marked as: "R.W. Forsyth, Highland Accessory Maker, Glasgow" and silverwork is signed "R&HB Kirkwood, 56 & 68 Thistle Street, Edinbough."
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sabre I posted above was interesting. American pattern blade with most of its bluing in gilt intact. Guard still retained the American Eagle. However, the D-guard, metal backstrap and horn cap appears Mexican. The theory is that this was a captured American blade refitted for a Mexican officer's use. Oh it that sword could but talk... Wonderful handling in hand. No scabbard.

For my East-Coast brother Ron Luciano, there were 4 different blunderbusses. One catalogued item were two matching blunderbuss pistols, signed "Jackson, London" Sea scrolls at wrists, and lightly engraved brass mounts. Scroll sideplates. One of the pistols does have a cracked stock, thought relatively small. Circa 1740-1780 in their opinion.

Another interesting item was an unmarked blunderbuss, carbine length, with top mounted spring-released bayonet. Circa 1850.

One of the most interesting items I saw was a combination wheel-lock/war hammer. The hammerhead was where the front-sight might be on a modern arm. Bottom side of the barrel is a wicked downward spike. This is a clumsy looking weapon which, nevertheless, would have done some damage. The wooden furniture is ungilded, not at all like what we might associate with wheel-locks. Instead, the barrel (which doubles as the shaft of the hammer/spike) is extensively engraved, and the wooden stock is nicely carved.

The collection up for sale runs a full gamut from antique arms (heavy on American firearms of various age) to modern sporting arms (a large collection of Weatherby rifles and shotguns). One H&H rifle chambered in 375 H&H, and my personal idea of a perfect hunting rifle, a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 270.

I will likely return on Saturday for another look, so if any of you have any questions on any items listed on Little John's website, let me know, and I'll try to get some info for ya. Auction starts next Tuesday and runs til Wednesday.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Link to Little John's site: http://www.littlejohnsauctionservice.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Stephen !

Thanks for your report on Little Johns ! Sounds like you saw some interesting pieces !
I wish your Blade Show partners could have joined you *g* ( dang all that country between our shores ;-)

Take care, my friend ! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,
I popped into Little John's today myself (hey Stephen, I'm up in Anaheim for awhile-we ought ot get together!), and talked for a minute or two before rummaging through the items. Here's what I liked:
#268 - A Mexican Espada Ancha, relic condition, but honest, dates early 1800s.
#598 - Pair of wheellock pistols, probably Dutch, with ebony stocks. If only I had 30K laying around!
Didn't write down the lot# on this last one: Pair of English flint pistols ca.1680, but the estimate was about 3K.

--ElJay
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi all,
I popped into Little John's today myself (hey Stephen, I'm up in Anaheim for awhile-we ought ot get together!), and talked for a minute or two before rummaging through the items. Here's what I liked:
#268 - A Mexican Espada Ancha, relic condition, but honest, dates early 1800s.
#598 - Pair of wheellock pistols, probably Dutch, with ebony stocks. If only I had 30K laying around!
Didn't write down the lot# on this last one: Pair of English flint pistols ca.1680, but the estimate was about 3K.

--ElJay

ElJay,

I think I remember the matched pair of English Flintlocks. Actually there were quite a few flintlock pistols there, weren't there? I would enjoy meeting up with you, and would consider it a privilege. Sent you a PM with my contact info.

Stephen
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hello Stephen !

Thanks for your report on Little Johns ! Sounds like you saw some interesting pieces !
I wish your Blade Show partners could have joined you *g* ( dang all that country between our shores ;-)

Take care, my friend ! Mac

Mac,

Indeed, I thought of you and Ron and Nathan and...so on and so forth, as I walked around the room, which is actually quite small and all the arms are tightly packed together so a bit of sensory overload there. Dang this large country.

BTW, the estimated value of the Scottish style dagger/bowie is $750-1500. Of course in an auction all kind of nutty things happen so the value noted is to be taken as very rough guide.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They call it a battleaxe/wheelock, but looks more like a hammer and a pick to me.

Attachment: 30.54 KB
Lot-1068.jpg

Roy K.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While wandering around the Lutel site today, I found this page: http://www.lutel.cz/index2e.htm Cat. # 10019

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bowie Knife for Mac
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic