Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vietnamese Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Vietnamese Swords         Reply with quote

My little sister's Birthday is coming up (she's gonna be nine) and since she enjoys coming over and "playing" with her big brother's swords, I thought I might surprise her with her own new sword, perhaps something she could even test-cut with. Now, she was adopted from Vietnam and thus I was looking for Vietnamese swords of some kind on the net. I was thinking of a dao-like sword. I trust her skills and judgement far more than the average nine-year old, but I think I won't tempt fate with a double-edged sword she can bring back at her head. The only trouble is finding something online. I'm looking for something light and with a thin enough hilt for a nine-year old. Oh, and cheap too, since I imagine she'll outgrow it and go looking for her own in a few years. I haven't seen anything that "clicks", so I decided to check here.

Anybody familiar with a good Vietnamese (or a close enough Chinese version) single-edged sword? Something light, thin hilted, and on the cheap side.

Another thought that occurred to me was modifying a machete I have. Can hit that sucker with a hack saw and make the blade any old shape I please and throw on a piece of heavily sanded tomahawk handle for a thin hilt. Not period, but way cheap and custom-made for her hot little hands. Only trouble is just how safe is a machete? I always figured because they were intended to chop away at trees they were on the soft side so that they would bend if abused and not snap on you, but I've been wrong about many things before... Anybody have any opinions on this thought? I don't remember exact price, but I doubt it was much more than $10.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two articles on Vietnamese swords. Not sure how accurate either are:

http://www.eriksedge.com/vietnamswords.html

http://www.sharpblades.net/index.php?page=post&id=46

You might look here:

http://www.cozun.com/Blades/ThaiSwordsAranyik/blades.htm

Reasonable prices and I've been very happy with my dao.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
http://www.eriksedge.com/vietnamswords.html

Hmm. This one mentions a bit of surprise about the Japanese influence in Vietnamese saber hilts, but personally I'm not so surprised since there was a pretty big body of Japanese exiles or mercenaries in Southeast Asia in the 17th century (Yamada Nagamasa and his band in Thailand, if I'm not mistaken) and their weapons might have influenced local designs to some extent. Not to mention the SIno-Japanese pirates who roved all over the East Asian coasts....

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vietnamese Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic