Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Machiavelli sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Albion Machiavelli sword         Reply with quote

I recently purchased a secondhand Albion Next Generation Machiavelli sword. I've always loved these types of swords, being particularly partial to the hilt type. The hand protection afforded by the compound guard is substantial while still being of a simplified form when compared to a fully-developed swept-hilt rapier or something similar.

These types of hilts are often mated to a robust Oakeshott Type XIX blade. The Type XIX blade type on the Machiavelli combines a beefy hexagonal geometry and gradual, somewhat-parallel profile taper with a good point. This combination results in a sword that is a fantastic cutter with just enough point control to allow the point to go where you want it.

I suspect a lot of people might think these types of swords are like rapiers. They are not. They are substantial swords leaning much more towards the cut than the thrust and being probably best suited for a slashing/slicing function than anything else. The balance point on the Machiavelli is around 5-inches out from the cross-guard and this indicates that this sword is no Errol Flynn type of sword but one meant for business!

Despite loving this sword, and I really do mean I love it, like so many other pieces I've owned over the years, I'm unable to keep it. You see, I've recently left a job and am starting a new one. The uncertainty of the economy mixed with the new job and its need for me to purchase a laptop has really not allowed me to keep this sword in my own collection. I'll miss it.

But before I let it go out of my hands, I decided I had better take some photos so that I can look at them later. More to the point, this sword hasn't gotten a lot of attention on the forum as far as I know so I think it's important to show it here so that others can see what these types of swords are about.

Take note of the blade: its geometry, if it's visible, the ricasso, ruller, and incised decorative lines.

This one is a blackened finish with a reddish oxblood grip.

Click any photo to see the high-res version

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Nathan,

What a lovely sword.

I'm generally into the early brutish cutters, but I see these XIXs as a late survival of the form...sort of an update on the older XIIIs. Would that hilt put it in the 16th century? Although if one took away the elaborations on the guard, it could pass for a much earlier sword, like the XIX we have here in the Royal Ontario Museum.

Too bad you have to part with it. But as they say, better to have loved and lost.

-JD
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a beautiful sword Nathan. If I had the funds I would be interested in your Mach, but as it is I recently invested most of my free cash. I do however have a Kern on the way which shares the same blade, so looking at your pictures here makes me hope for a speedy delivery Cool
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, that is Albion at its best. Blackening the hilt makes it even more attractive.

XIX's were a neglected type until Albion started making them - now they have seven, counting the Doge and the unreleased Hauptmann and Markgraf. I've got two (Condottierre and Gallowglass) and wish I had more.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've wondered why this one didn't get much press after it's release. When I first saw the concept drawing it was on my must-have list, but reality has pared this list down quite a bit in the last few years and I'm not sure this is still on it, although it is one that I could talk myself into needing, if I looked at it long enough. The detailing is really, really nice on this sword, the most attractive that I recall seeing on an Albion to date. I can feel a twinge of your pain at having to let it go.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your photos make me want one even more.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is staggeringly beautiful in every way. There's nothing about it I don't love, and I've never really paid much attention to it. Now I covet it. Thanks for the photos!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, great looking sword and if I didn't have the Doge or the economy didn't suck I would be very tempted to buy it from you. ( Would at least think about it seriously if I wasn't already commited to a few custom projects already. Wink Big Grin ).

Since we have a recent review of the Doge how do you feel it compares directly to it in handling !

(A) Very similar ? (B) Subtle differences ? (C) Very different ? My guess would be (B)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're right, Jean... the Machiavelli and the Doge are very close to each other dynamically. I'm not one to really fixate on subtlety when it comes to that sort of thing, so I'll just say that anything one sword can do, the other can do, too. The differences, to me, are more about how the swords feel in the hand: the grips/hilts have a different feel to them. Again, it's subtle. I haven't played too much with the Doge because it's not mine, but I've compared the two the last couple weeks because the person buying the Machiavelli sword asked me the same question Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I haven't played too much with the Doge because it's not mine, but I've compared the two the last couple weeks because the person buying the Machiavelli sword asked me the same question Happy

So somebody bought it already. If my sword money wasn't tied up, it might have been me.

We will have to make another entry in the Covet Thread.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Markgraf looks like it might be very interesting when it finally becomes available and hopefully I will have disposable funds to buy it when it does. Wink Big Grin ( Not sure yet if I would buy it but it's one I'm considering ).
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to be too off-topic, but I am really excited about the Markgraf; can't wait for that one to come out. It's really neat to see Albion getting into more complex hilts; the Machiavelli is probably my second-favorite to the Doge. It's really nice seeing it in your photos Nathan; the Albion pictures don't do it justice (as is the case with most of their photos Worried )
www.addisondelisle.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Machiavelli sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic