Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter G.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: new saber         Reply with quote

Been a while since i´ve been in the forum and did spend the last 2h scanning the threads and reading.

Looks like i missed some very interesting discussions :-/.

I made myself a nice christmas-present, a french light cavalry officers saber, made consulat/empire.
What i really like are the owners initials on the langet, i hope i´ll be able to identify the owner one day.

Hope you like the sword :-)

and the link to another beauty i just bought as an eeehmmmmm hmmmm--whatever present-i really love it.
More pics to come asap i´ll get it.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...0188057358

Attachment: 60.34 KB
motop.jpg

Attachment: 62.28 KB
mo initials.jpg

Attachment: 47.11 KB
mo top r a.jpg

Attachment: 60.2 KB
mo blade top r.jpg

Attachment: 67.15 KB
mo spine.jpg

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, I really like the scale handle and the bluing. I love all military sabers though, they're history that people can own. Most people will likely never have the opportunity to own a medieval sword but, if you're interested, it is quite possible to own a military saber.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
Congratulations. As a collector of British swords I can begrudgingly admit that it is a beautiful saber. Happy Is there any way to research the owner's initials?

Jonathan
Peter G.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you both

@Jonathan: it would be faaaar easier trying it with a HC-saber. There is a dictionary with all officers of the french HC fighting in the napoleonic wars.
Sadly, there is no such list for the LC.

I´m trying to get a french book where all officers are listed that were wounded during the wars and scan the list-its a LC-officer for sure and i just guess its not a junior officer-that should help a lot (well i hope ;-) ).
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter G. wrote:
Thank you both

@Jonathan: it would be faaaar easier trying it with a HC-saber. There is a dictionary with all officers of the french HC fighting in the napoleonic wars.

I´m trying to get a french book where all officers are listed that were wounded during the wars and scan the list-its a LC-officer for sure and i just guess its not a junior officer-that should help a lot (well i hope ;-) ).

Best of luck with that, Peter! Researching the individual who originally owned a sword is VERY addictive. At this juncture I only buy swords with research potential ragrding provenance. It is great fun!

Jonathan
Peter G.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Peter G. wrote:
Thank you both

Best of luck with that, Peter! Researching the individual who originally owned a sword is VERY addictive. At this juncture I only buy swords with research potential ragrding provenance. It is great fun!

Jonathan

I´ll need the luck i guess--sadly enough, for french sabers there is no list like Wilkonsons.
Would be perfect if Klingenthal had done the same for their officer-swords. This wouldn´t help me in this task-the solingen blade is sold by Morange/Bordeaux, but maybe with another saber which is waiting for me somewhere on another collectors wall ;-).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic