40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
No!
60%
 60%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 25

Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Opinion: CF Huntsman         Reply with quote

Ahoy lads,

Perhaps you can help me out with something I've been thinking about.

I currently have an Albion Crecy Grete Mark 2. It's a very nice sword.

A few months ago, before I got the Crecy, I put a deposit down on the Christian Fletcher Huntsman limited edition sword. I also have a deposit down on one of the first-run CF Borderwatch swords.

As you may or may not know, the CF Huntsman uses the Albion Crecy blade. I believe it is the Mark I Crecy blade, but the differences are minimal.

I'm looking at my collection and I'm trying to determine if I need the Huntsman alongside the Crecy or not. I have asked CF if I can move my Huntsman deposit towards the Borderwatch and he is cool with that, so it's just a matter of me making up my mind.

The upside:

> Having a limited edition CF sword that looks very cool
> Anything built off the Crecy platform is going to be an awesome, solid sword

The downside:

> Spending $700.00
> Having a Huntsman that is very similar to the Crecy
> Huntsman styling can be purchased at a lower price from Arms & Armor (Erbach sword, Bohemian broadsword)

Your thoughts?

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion: CF Huntsman         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Ahoy lads,

Perhaps you can help me out with something I've been thinking about.

I currently have an Albion Crecy Grete Mark 2. It's a very nice sword.

A few months ago, before I got the Crecy, I put a deposit down on the Christian Fletcher Huntsman limited edition sword. I also have a deposit down on one of the first-run CF Borderwatch swords.

As you may or may not know, the CF Huntsman uses the Albion Crecy blade. I believe it is the Mark I Crecy blade, but the differences are minimal.

I'm looking at my collection and I'm trying to determine if I need the Huntsman alongside the Crecy or not. I have asked CF if I can move my Huntsman deposit towards the Borderwatch and he is cool with that, so it's just a matter of me making up my mind.

The upside:

> Having a limited edition CF sword that looks very cool
> Anything built off the Crecy platform is going to be an awesome, solid sword

The downside:

> Spending $700.00
> Having a Huntsman that is very similar to the Crecy
> Huntsman styling can be purchased at a lower price from Arms & Armor (Erbach sword, Bohemian broadsword)

Your thoughts?

Hey Timothy,

Just as an FYI, we don't produce any of the blades from the Mark I Crecy anymore. Part of the switch over was changing the blade. We no longer have the program to even produce the old style blades, so everything that Christian gets will be as up-to-date as we make. The only blade that we have left in it's (somewhat) original configuration is the Acre/Crusader blade. We have scant few of these left, and once they are gone, the blade will get a facelift along with the hilts.

Jason Dingledine
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, a news flash... thanks for the update. I had heard that Christian got his allotment of the Crecy blades back before the change-over to the Mark 2. My sources were incorrect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Ah, a news flash... thanks for the update. I had heard that Christian got his allotment of the Crecy blades back before the change-over to the Mark 2. My sources were incorrect.

Well, that's certainly possible. It all would depend on when Christian ordered and received the blade.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what my opinion's worth, move the deposit to the Boarderwatch and get one of the A&A swords. Wink Both of
those swords are nice.

BTW, what blade are you getting for your Boarderwatch?

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone's opinion is worth something Happy

That might be the route I go down, since I do not own a A&A piece as of yet.

I ordered the 1313 blade for the Borderwatch. I like the broader fuller. Happy

Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim,
I like M. Taylor's idea. You definitely want the Borderwatch and you have a way-cool Redeemer, so even though there's no such thing as too much CF, you might as well mix it up a bit.
Plus I'm another person who likes to sample swords from different places, and I also have yet to procure an A&A piece.

Meanwhile, have fun with the Crecy!
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Josh. I don't want to come off as if I'm shortchanging CF's work by not wanting the Huntsman... that's the farthest from the truth Wink I do want the Huntsman, but the cost of it AND the Borderwatch might be too hard to handle.

I suppose I could try to sell the Crecy II to help offset the Huntsman cost, but honestly the Crecy II is very much a favorite of mine right now. I love the way it looks and handles. That might change when I get my NG Sempach, but I'm not sure. There's also the matter of having the Huntsman next to the Crecy as sort of a duality thing, one being a simple design, the other being the same sword but with a much more refined appearance.

Oh, what a tangled web. Wink In the end, it may just come down to money. And space, as I'm running out of room for swords. Wink

Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another option would be to ask Christian what other blades would be appropriate for the Huntsman hilt, like a Type XVIII for example Happy
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possibly, yes. Although I figure that he's keeping the Huntsman components limited to the Huntsman alone, to preserve the limited-edition aspect of it Wink

Much to think on, much to think on...

Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've reserved a Huntsman as well. The Crecy has been something I've been wanting for some time, but never pulled the trigger on for one reason or another. I had also been wanting to get a CF customization for a while now. So when I saw the Huntsman and learned it was using the Crecy blade I didn't stand a chance. Happy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you don't have collection size or fund limits, buy them all. Nothing wrong with having several of the same thing if you like them.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
That might change when I get my NG Sempach

Hey, you're ogling the Sempach too? That's the NG that caught me the most.
Now there's the small matter of affording one. . . Confused
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I might do is wait for my Sempach, which should be coming soon, and see how it compares to the Crecy. Since they are very similar, I may wind up looking to sell the Crecy and use that to offset the cost of the Huntsman.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
What I might do is wait for my Sempach, which should be coming soon, and see how it compares to the Crecy. Since they are very similar, I may wind up looking to sell the Crecy and use that to offset the cost of the Huntsman.

Two pretty different blades I think. The Sempach seems more specialized for thrusting.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I meant in terms of overall design. Short fuller, steel hilt components, leather-over-cord wrap, similar length overall... those aspects.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Oh, I meant in terms of overall design. Short fuller, steel hilt components, leather-over-cord wrap, similar length overall... those aspects.

Gotcha Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The topic returns from the grave!

I've made my decision. I moved the Huntsman deposit towards my Borderwatch.

Someday, in place of the Huntsman, I will have this:

The A&A Schloss Erbach.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinion: CF Huntsman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic