Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > section lenticular or section narrow fullered Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: section lenticular or section narrow fullered         Reply with quote

I apologize for my English. I read the artiche Patrick Kelly Understanding Blade Properties
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_properties.html
My question is about the sections of swords. The article by Kelly, highlights a difference between section lenticular and section narrow fullered.

Ewart Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy: Part II article by Patrick Kelly and others, (http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott2.html ) he say: sword type XIII section lenticular, but in reality because there is a fuller, section should be narrow fullered and not lenticular.
Help me understand. Appearance patiently.
Thanks for your reply.

Ciao
Maurizio
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: section lenticular or section narrow fullered         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
I apologize for my English. I read the artiche Patrick Kelly Understanding Blade Properties
[url]http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_properties.html.[url]
My question is about the sections of swords. The article by Kelly, highlights a difference between section lenticular and section narrow fullered.

Ewart Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy: Part II article by Patrick Kelly and others, (http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott2.html ) he say: sword type XIII section lenticular, but in reality because there is a fuller, section should be narrow fullered and not lenticular.
Help me understand. Appearance patiently.
Thanks for your reply.

The fullered section of the blade is fullered in section. The unfullered part is lenticular in section. Happy

Blades can have multiple cross-sections throughout their length. A blade could begin as rectangular in section (a ricasso), then become fullered (wide, narrow, hex, or whatever) then become unfullered (diamond, hex, lenticular, etc.).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the difference is in semantics-they are two ways of saying the same thing. The term lenticular is often loosely applied to a blade with the correct shape whether it has a fuller or not. On blades such as the type XIII where the fuller does not extend the full length, the section beyond the fuller is sometimes lenticular so both sections actually exist in a single blade, which may partially explain the crossover in terms.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am wondering if there can be such a thing as a "fat lenticular" section (migration era swords come to mind), versus a narrow lenticular (similar to the narrow lenticular fullered, just not actually fullered)? Just looking at text photos, it seems like sections became more narrow as the viking era approached, in addition to the appearance of fullers.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I think that the image should be broken into 2 parts. The first is "blade cross sections" the seccond "fullers". You could concievably match any fuller with any blade cross section (though hollow ground with oposing fullers seems unlikely off the top of my head)
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for your answers.
Ciao
Maurizio

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > section lenticular or section narrow fullered
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic