Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Training manual for medieval sword fighting? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Training manual for medieval sword fighting?         Reply with quote

I've been thinking about actually learning to USE some of the medieval swords that i bought, and I was wondering if there were any manuals that are recommended for beginners. Something online might be nice, as I really don't feel like spending any money right now. I know how to fight with a sabre and cutlass, but I want to know how to fight with a single-handed sword, a hand-and-a-half sword, etc. Any suggestions?
Nathan.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started a topic on this recently: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15913

Sources mentioned there include YouTube videos, a article on this very site: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_arms_gls.html, etc, etc.

Personally, I'm thinking of buying the two books by Christian Henry Tobler shown here: http://www.newyorklongsword.com/articles.html

Anywho, there's a lot out there and I think the problem is more sorting through the choices rather than finding said choices.
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thearma.org
research and reading
on-line manuals
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll drop in a plug for our site (Schola Saint George). Here you can view a ton of free training videos and demonstrations:

http://www.scholasaintgeorge.org/joomla_new/i...Itemid=141

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guy Windsor's book [i]The Swordsman's Companion[/ii] (on Fiore dei Liberi's system of longsword fencing) is quite good and aimed at the beginner .
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not an Arma-member and I had no intention of pluging Arma. It's just that the site contains a lot of information besides the requested online manuals.
David Teague

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Nathan,

First, forget 90% of what you know with the saber & cutlass when starting with the longsword in either well documented system. My 18th century backsword studies screwed up my first year of personal study with the German Longsword.
Confused

I favor the German system myself, early masters (not the Meyer, Sutor stuff). CHT's Fighting with the German Longsword is a nice "how to book" to start with. Please keep in mind that all of the writers I know (both Christian & Guy in this case) have changed things with how they teach their interpretations in the time since submitting their manuscripts for publication.

Best thing to do is find an fellow student of the longsword who has some training base with "somebody's" interpretation (ARMA, Christian Tobler, Schola Saint George, Chicago Swordplay Guild et al) as it's hard to learn without guidance.

Good advice & links so far for you in this thread.

Yours,

David Teague

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
I favor the German system myself, early masters (not the Meyer, Sutor stuff).

We'll convert you to Meyer's longsword yet David. Wink And plunderhosen are so much cooler than tights.

Quote:
CHT's Fighting with the German Longsword is a nice "how to book" to start with.

Nathan, also consider picking up a copy of Joachim Meyer's 1570 book on the 'Art of Combat' as translated by Dr Forgeng. The book covers longsword, dussack, rapier, dagger, wrestling, staff, halberd and pike. I feel confident in saying Meyer's work is the best, clearest and most detailed period instructional source for the traditional German weapons we have. It even stands up well when compared to today's purpose written intructional books by modern authors.

Even if you decide to work with the earlier sources rather than the later ones, Meyer's work is very useful for illuminating aspects of earlier practice. He provides an excellent rundown of basic yet important things (e.g. terminology, footwork etc) that is often left unmentioned or barely touched upon by earlier Liechtenauer sources (they seem to assume much prior knowledge).

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Carew wrote:

We'll convert you to Meyer's longsword yet David. Wink And plunderhosen are so much cooler than tights.

While I do like plunderhosen and have a set, the 15th century clothing is still cool.

Razz

So there!

Wink

( I do hope we get to meet someday in person. )

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:

While I do like plunderhosen and have a set, the 15th century clothing is still cool.

Nice kit. Granted, there is something to be said for the 15thC.

Quote:
I do hope we get to meet someday in person.

It would be my pleasure. The first beer is on me. Cool

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Training manual for medieval sword fighting?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic