Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to Re-create a 14th Century Centerboss Shield? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Grace Martin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: How to Re-create a 14th Century Centerboss Shield?         Reply with quote

I am attempting to create a Centerboss shield from the later 14th century period. I have read that they coated lightweight woods with fabric, parchment and leather, but I cannot find any reference to anyone who knows exactly how they did this. I would like to make a reasonable simulation, but any ideas on light wood other that the "lime" referenced in myArmoury's general discussion regarding the Black Prince's shield?

Looking for any input regarding molded leatherwork, materials, assembly, sourcing, etc.

Thanks!

Grace Martin

Marguerite d'Altare
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lime, linden and basswood are all the same trees. This wood is very light, soft and yet surprisingly strong which is why it was used to make shields I'm sure. I don't know what you have available for equipment but most hardwood lumber dealers carry basswood. What you would want is 4/4 (which means it is 1" thick) basswood. If it is available dressed (planed) it would be smooth on both sides and about 3/4" of an inch thick. If you had to buy it rough, you will have to plane it down or get someone to do it for you which might be expensive. If you don't feel the need to be that authentic you could probably use a fairly clear grade of pine that you should be able to get at virtually any lumber yard.

Its almost a certainty that the covering on these shields was adhered to the wood with hide glue. Again it is a question of what degree of authenticity you are seeking. There are modern adhesives that would be more water resistant than hide glue and might be easier for you to use. Some modern wood glues can be applied to surfaces, allowed to dry and activated with a hot iron, this is a common technique used in veneering.

If you need more or more specific information you may cantact me privately through myArmoury.

Good luck on your project,

Ken
Steven H

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armourarchive.org would also be a good place to check. I'm certain that I've seen examples on there before.

Let us see how the project turns out.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to Re-create a 14th Century Centerboss Shield?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic