Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 'Norman' prototype for CAS/Hanwei Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: 'Norman' prototype for CAS/Hanwei         Reply with quote

Oakeshott Type: X
Overall Length: 36-3/8 inches
Blade Length: 30-3/4 inches
Blade width @ Base: 2 inches
Blade Width 4 inches from point: 1-3/16 inch
Blade Thickness @ Base: .225 inch
Blade Thickness 2 inches from Point: .082 inch
Hilt Overall Length: 5-5/8 inches
Length of Handle: 3-7/8 inches
Guard Type: 1
Pommel Type: B
Center of Gravity: 5-1/4 inches from guard
Location of Blade Node (measured from Guard): 20-1/8 inches
Primary Hilt Node: approx. 1/2 inch from cross (on handle)
Weight: 2lbs 8 oz
Tentatively named the 'Norman' this sword is in the style of swords from the late 10th to 12th C. This is a prototype made for CAS/Hanwei, though it has yet to receive final approval. This version has a take-down hilt but the production model will have a peened tang and be permanently mounted. The production model will also feature a sandwiched hardwood handle wrapped in cord and covered in leather with steel furniture and a Marquenched 5160 spring steel blade at approx. HRc52.

Handling is quite nice and feels much lighter than it's actual weight.
Comments welcome!

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Luka Borscak

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peened pommel, finally! Big Grin Big Grin And on a sword that looks almost like I ordered it custom made for myself. Cool Peened or not, congratulations on a beautiful sword. It looks very practical and functional and still elegant and beautiful.
David Sutton

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sword, I like the Brazilnut pommel. Cool I certainly hope this one goes into production and with a peened hilt too!
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks like another fine collaboration.

I've heard some very positive things about your other Cas/Hanwei swords. Will some be available to handle during the Blade Show in Atlanta?

It has been years since I even thought about buying a sword around the $300 price point. However If they handle as well as they look then I might have to buy one.
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jason- yes, all the swords that are out will be on-hand in Atlanta for folks to handle. Hopefully there will be a new prototype or two there as well!
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome work as usual. What was the reason for the switch back to peaning?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Awesome work as usual. What was the reason for the switch back to peaning?

M.

Basically it's marketing; the late medieval swords are frequently used for martial arts etc. because we have documentation of how they were used. Any fencing blade is an expendable item and sooner or later it will wear out so it makes sense to make those blades replaceable. Also being dismountable allows the option for WMA practitioners to buy the sharp or blunt sword and then purchase the other type of blade to fit the same hilt, which keeps them from having to buy two swords to cover both cutting and sparring.

With the Viking Sword and the Norman sword two things come into play; one is that these customers tend to be re-enactors who prefer the peened construction for greater authenticity. The other is that since we don't have firm documentation of the exact techniques these swords were used the 'WMA' community has limited interest in them. The re-enactors have established standards for how their blades are to be constructed for demos or 'steel combat' and prefer the peened construction over the ease of blade replacement.

There are going to be exceptions of course and there's no economical way to service all preferences so at some point you simply have to make your 'best guess' as to what the market wants and go with that.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a re-enactor I certainly welcome the peening, but for greater authenticity’s sake, I am still missing the choice of brown or oxblood leather in the handle. Hanwei's old Practical Norman is the only one in the line to have it.

Last edited by Antonio Lamadrid on Sun 22 Mar, 2009 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Lamadrid wrote:
As a re-enactor I certainly welcome the peaning, but for greater authenticity’s sake, I am still missing the choice of brown or oxblood leather in the handle. Hanwei's old Practical Norman is the only one in the line to have it.

That's another one of those marketing things... when they are mass-producing they have to go with the color that they think will sell best. I'll talk to Barry- maybe we can have some brown ones made- or even all brown for this model. Sadly the mass-appeal of ox-blood probably isn't great enough to justify doing a run in that color.

Basically mass-production is always going to be a good-news/bad-news thing. The good news is that each sword is a lot cheaper. The bad news is that to make them that much cheaper you have to sell a few hundred of each sword so you can't get into 'niche' variations.

The 'Great Sword of War' is supposed to have a brown leather handle when it comes out, BTW.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Tinker!
So, is that, like, six models for Hanwei so far? Longsword, bastard, the type XII single-hander, the Viking, that big XIIIA prototype, and now the "Norman," right? This is seriously exciting... Any other possible models you can tease us with? Can I put in a vote for a really big type XX?

-Eric
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Eric;

Let's see, teasers... How about a Heibemesser or Grossemesser? Perhaps a late-period arming sword or a Type XIIa bastardsword?

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Grossemesser

Eek!

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pearce wrote:
Antonio Lamadrid wrote:
As a re-enactor I certainly welcome the peaning, but for greater authenticity’s sake, I am still missing the choice of brown or oxblood leather in the handle. Hanwei's old Practical Norman is the only one in the line to have it.

That's another one of those marketing things... when they are mass-producing they have to go with the color that they think will sell best. I'll talk to Barry- maybe we can have some brown ones made- or even all brown for this model. Sadly the mass-appeal of ox-blood probably isn't great enough to justify doing a run in that color.

Basically mass-production is always going to be a good-news/bad-news thing. The good news is that each sword is a lot cheaper. The bad news is that to make them that much cheaper you have to sell a few hundred of each sword so you can't get into 'niche' variations.

The 'Great Sword of War' is supposed to have a brown leather handle when it comes out, BTW.

What will be the hilt construction on the XIIIa? If it is peening you have a buyer for it. Big Grin
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Michael Pearce wrote:
Antonio Lamadrid wrote:

What will be the hilt construction on the XIIIa? If it is peening you have a buyer for it. Big Grin

I'm actually not sure how they've decided to go with that one; all of the prototypes that I provide have take-down hilts because they need to be able to take them apart to copy them. Barry and I didn't discuss whether this one would have a take-down hilt or not. Given that it's an earlier period type and intended to be a cutting sword with no blunt blade planned I think it's fairly likely to be peened but I'll need to verify that.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that not all these models (XIIIa?) will have a blunt version. Will there be a blunt Norman?
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that not all these models (XIIIa?) will have a blunt version. Will there be a blunt Norman?

It's pretty likely to be available as a reenactment blunt and will probably use the same blade as the 'Viking' re-enactment blunt. I'll let you know when I find out for sure.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pearce wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
Michael Pearce wrote:
Antonio Lamadrid wrote:

I'm actually not sure how they've decided to go with that one; all of the prototypes that I provide have take-down hilts because they need to be able to take them apart to copy them. Barry and I didn't discuss whether this one would have a take-down hilt or not. Given that it's an earlier period type and intended to be a cutting sword with no blunt blade planned I think it's fairly likely to be peened but I'll need to verify that.

That would make sense. Well, I'm buying it either way but I would be sorry if I would have to shorten the tang with cutting the thread off.
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I spoke with Barry today- looks like the XIIIa will be peened.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Mr.Pearce, you made me really happy with this information. Big Grin
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peaned is good. Now, how about those messers Wink

M.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 'Norman' prototype for CAS/Hanwei
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: