Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Steel gauntlets made by Hanwei/Cas iberia Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Steel gauntlets made by Hanwei/Cas iberia         Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the gauntlets are like that Hanwei or Cas iberia make. They make a pair of clam shell and finger gauntlets. I was looking for a pair to do living history with and have large-XL hands.

I was just wondering if anyone else has bought a pair and what they thought about them. Maybe post some picts?

Spence
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel gauntlets made by Hanwei/Cas iberia         Reply with quote

Nathan Spence wrote:
Does anyone know what the gauntlets are like that Hanwei or Cas iberia make. They make a pair of clam shell and finger gauntlets. I was looking for a pair to do living history with and have large-XL hands.

I was just wondering if anyone else has bought a pair and what they thought about them. Maybe post some picts?

Spence

Hi Nathan,

I've got a set of the finger gauntlets in pieces right now trying to fix the many problems they have.

I'm going to be using them for Living history & WMA use.

The upside:

they good sharp at 10 ft.

The downside:

The bell of the cuff is way to large so they do this funky "C" cut out of the backs so you can move your palm inward towards the arms.

The rivets are left to long on the insides fingers and are poorly riveted... OW!

The knuckle pieces are riveted from the outside and they used round headed rivets on the inside of the fingers so the heads press down in to your flesh & joints... OW!

The gloves are crap.The crap-ola gloves are glued to the fingers.

The finger plates are barely shaped and too flat.

The finger and knuckle plates are poorly finished and show heavy cutting marks on all edges.

The finger leather was cut with the plates so it's flush and can't be used to sew replacement gloves back in.

Now with that said...

IF you have any hammer skills and can sew leather you should be able to tear a set apart and rebuild then to use.

That's what I"m doing.

So if you can score a pair for $100 bucks or so it's worth it if you got the skills

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Therion posted on teh archive that the new ones don't come with gloves but do have leather tabs so you can sew your own gloves into them
Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
Therion posted on teh archive that the new ones don't come with gloves but do have leather tabs so you can sew your own gloves into them

Yup!

Pics -

Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. I would recommend they market and unpolished version without the gold trimming to be use in drilling and light sparring. I might be interested if they could offer a scaled down version for $75.

I would probably have to cut the cuffs with a demmel but a strap in their place to get the tension on the wrist right. I have done this before with my half-gauntlets. I would probably have to to also split them at where they come together and form the center of the hourgass. I would connect the two pieces with leather for added wrist mobility, like my half gauntlets.

Hal, you might be interested in also selling this as a kit for people to assemble themselves. Gauntlets are very hard to get a good fit on off the shelf.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the older clamshell mitten-type gauntlets Hanwei makes. They are not the best, but they are solid and with a little bit of alteration (strapping needs redone), they have worked well for me in the past. Finger gauntlets hurt in general anyway, I've always felt that the clamshell offers better protection.

They are a better deal if you have a contact in a WMA organization that can get them wholesale for you. Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the clam-shell mittens, and agree totally with Mr Sarge above.
They give good protection but need some modification for a good fit.
But again, for the price I am more than happy to see it as a pre-cut and assembled DIY-project Happy

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that for any serious sparring clam shells are the way to go and I have two pairs myself. I like the ideal of these light finger gauntlets for partner drilling that is normally done with just leather gloves. Minimal and light protection for minimal risk.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Steel gauntlets made by Hanwei/Cas iberia
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic