Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Reenactment Stateside. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Burgess

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Medieval Reenactment Stateside.         Reply with quote

Why do you think Medieval Reenactment is more popular today than its ever been before in America?
The value of a noble person can be determined by the honourable company he keeps.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Medieval Reenactment Stateside.         Reply with quote

Steve Burgess wrote:
Why do you think Medieval Reenactment is more popular today than its ever been before in America?

honestly right now reenactments for the medieval time period are down from what they were only 5 years ago.
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Medieval Reenactment Stateside.         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
Steve Burgess wrote:

honestly right now reenactments for the medieval time period are down from what they were only 5 years ago.

Are these statements only empirical or is there any documentation or study on the actual participation, growth, or decline of Medieval Reenactment in the US?

I'm not disputing it one way or the other, but I have pondered the question myself and there is little in the way of a convenient measure. Number of events? Size of events? What constitutes "reenactment"? Where is the cutoff period for "Medieval"? What about the "Renaissance"? Are Ren Faires/fests considered "reenactment"? The SCA? Everyone seems to have a bit of a different standard and so their perception of growth or lack thereof can be affected.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I had to say how it was here in the UK it declined some from the previous years I was here. Last year the massive camp we gathered was less by 1/4-1/3 the years before, the venders were much less as well. This is but one example but others here have noted the same thing here. I think here it rests on the bad economy almost completely. People do not feel they can afford the long travel and hauling their gear. I'd imagine something like this is happening stateside. At least gauging by the number of armourers stopping full time production and such and diminished sales from what I have been hearing seems to be everywhere.

This is not just reenactment though. It is hitting most hobbies and leisure activities.

RPM
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

every year the events are less, there are less people at the events that are held within the DC and surrounding areas. now this is counting the SCA etc, i mean LH events.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attendance and sales at the area RenFaire events in Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan, and Minnesota are seemingly down. As a previous vendor, I still keep in touch with all my old friends that still do these events. There seems to have been an apex around 2003-2004, then a steady decline from there.

The faires are probably is not the best representation to get feel for the sum of the whole, but I think it is a pretty good sampling of the community.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I've gathered SCA growth overall has slowed, and there may have been a small contraction this year. In the western US gatherings of any activity were always relatively sparse because of the huge expanses of empty land and the logistics of getting people from an already eccentric hobby together. Unless you live in California even most traditional reenactment groups seem to be no larger than a dozen people.
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Reenactment Stateside.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic