Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can anyone identify this Short sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Can anyone identify this Short sword?         Reply with quote

There are no markings on it at all. The edge looks like someone took an electric grinder to it. Workmanship is poor. I'm thinking that it's a forgery or replica of some type of short sword that's been artificially aged. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure as heck no scholar, but that looks (to me) more like a bayonet rather than a shortsword per se.
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
I'm sure as heck no scholar, but that looks (to me) more like a bayonet rather than a shortsword per se.

It's not a bayonet. There's no way to attach it to a rifle. There are no markings at all on the blade either. I've also looked under the handle for marks, but there aren't any. I'm thinking that it's an artificially aged replica of some type of short sword.

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

<EDIT>

M.

This space for rent or lease.

Last edited by M. Eversberg II on Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe this is probably a South American (Argentine, perhaps), military or police short sword, circa late 19th century, early 20th century. I see these on eBay all the time. They usually go for around $99 - $250, depending on the rarity. They almost always look about this level of patination.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!

Last edited by Christopher Gregg on Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is an infantry or artillery sidearm of the late 19th century or early 20th century. It is not a bayonet. Are there any markings on it that might indicate a place of manufacture?

Jonathan
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
It is an infantry or artillery sidearm of the late 19th century or early 20th century. It is not a bayonet. Are there any markings on it that might indicate a place of manufacture?

Jonathan

There are no markings that I can find at all, even under the handle. The blade is slightly "wasp waisted". I originally though that whoever took the grinder to the edge had taken too much metal off of the blade hear the guard, but I saw a slightly similar artillery sword that was wasp waisted. I've examined every square inch of this blade with a magnifier and I can find no markings at all. I sure would like to know where it came from for sure though. The workmaship on the handle anyway is pretty rough. Also it looks like somebody brushed or cleaned the blade near the guard to try to find markings. Looks good hanging on my wall though.
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
I believe this is probably a South American (Argentine, perhaps), military or police short sword, circa late 19th century, early 20th century. I see these on eBay all the time. They usually go for around $99 - $250, depending on the rarity. They almost always look about this level of patination.

I googled Argentine short sword (military and police), but the ones on ebay and other sights are not like this one. They have a different style guard or hilt and appear to be of better quality. Those were model 1909 though and maybe this one is earlier or later in manufacture
Romulus Stoica

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks somehow similar to the austrian artilery short sword for soldiers but has a slightly different guard.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can anyone identify this Short sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic