Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th c longsword from windlass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: 15th c longsword from windlass         Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me anything of the Windlass Steelcrafts 15th century longsword? I want a good cutter, for edge alignment exercises, but 300$ is my limit, (even that is stretching it. It's actually closer to 250) so I realize the longswords in this price range may / may not be the greatest quality, but this one is at least aesthetically pleasing. To me.
"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with it except that it is a little too flexible. But there was no other mistake with mine. Solid hilt construction, good blade, very good balance... Have you seen Windlass Erbach sword? Some people are quite satisfied with it for the money.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have no complaints about mine what so ever, good sword at a good price range.
Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am studying the leichtenauer tradition, so, if it is too flexible for the circular movents in that style I must seek my weapon elsewhere.
-Vegetius
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't study Lichtenauer so I have no idea if it is stiff enough for that. But if you want a stiff sword you would maybe do better with Gen2 Black Prince or Lucerne.
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose that I am looking for handling characteristics similar to that of Albion's Regent Sword.
-Vegetius
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Scott Moore wrote:
I am studying the leichtenauer tradition, so, if it is too flexible for the circular movents in that style I must seek my weapon elsewhere.

check out this video...the chap in the tan trousers is using a Windlass 15th c. longsword for light sparring.

I corresponded with him a bit..he made some minor alterations to his (lengthened the grip a little using spring washers
and rounding the edges & tip. He said it has held up great ...even against some of the "big boys". One of the factors in my decision to buy one, plus the aesthetic appeal of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYSQfzpcODw&am...annel_page

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow,. I like her. The side rings seem to do quite a bit to help in the deflection. more than I thought. I think I will do what I can to purchase her. thanks, William, and Luka I really appreciate your input. Big Grin I can't wait to get my hands on one now!
-Vegetius
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Had one and its decent for the price...especially if you can get get it at a bit of a markdown. You mention the Regent, and this does not handle like it. The Windlass is much less rigid and as such its less responsive. However its light, feels decent in the hand, looks decent and was durable. All good things...just a bit to far on the noodle-ish side of my personal preference.

Also, it comes as a blunt. Not so blunt it won't cut at all, but it is a blunt. Interestingly not really blunt enough for my preference as a sparring tool, a bit too blunt for an idea cutting tool.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~SH23...%0D%0A.htm

^Get that one.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I have never really swung a decent steel sword before. (I have done a few experimental cuts with a US Navy cutlass, 182 model, but that's it.) so I may not really know what I want. per se. I have trained extensively with wooden wasters (mostly of my own make) but never steel.
-Vegetius
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though it costs a little more, I actually prefer the MRL Sword of Novara more. It's a little beefier and seems to be made to a higher standard:

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2243&close=8

KoA has this one within your price range, BTW... Big Grin http://kultofathena.com/product~item~500850.htm - with shipping falls under $250.00.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Though it costs a little more, I actually prefer the MRL Sword of Novara more. It's a little beefier and seems to be made to a higher standard:

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2243&close=8

KoA has this one within your price range, BTW... Big Grin http://kultofathena.com/product~item~500850.htm - with shipping falls under $250.00.

she's a lovely longsword, but, isn't she a bit on the heavy side? again, I'm not experienced with steel longswords, but compared to others I've seen she seems a little heavy.

-Vegetius
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have scales, but it does not feel like it weighs over 5lbs. If I were to guess, I would say it weighed 4lbs, or a little more than my VA ATrim Practical Blunted version which is specced at 3lb 9oz. The Novara seems just as fast as the ATrim, I don't notice a difference in handling except in having 5" or so more inches of length to work with. The Novara does not have excessive blade flex like on most other Windlass blades either.

Perhaps someone here has some good scales to give one an accurate weighing... Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it seems I am going to get the Sword of Noverra. My wife just saw it and excalaimed " For Me!" so, I guess that's that.
-Vegetius
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't 5 pounds very heavy for that kind of weapon? And it must be nice having a wife so interested, Mr. Moore.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Isn't 5 pounds very heavy for that kind of weapon?

Here is the basis for WIndlass's "Novara" sword. Note that the original is heavier, but quite a bit larger. It's likely a processional type of sword, so the original's weight is fairly typical for the type. But with the WIndlass offering being reduced in size so much (around 8" overall, 5" in the blade alone), I'd be concerned with the weight as it sort of leaves the piece in a confused place as far as what type of sword it's trying to be.

Click photo for full-sized version

Venice, circa 1570
Overall length: 58.25", Cross-guard width: 13.125"
Blade length: 45.25", Blade width: 2", Weight: 5.5 pounds

Copyright Armi Bianche Italiane, BOCCIA, Lionello G. ; COELHO, Eduardo T

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Isn't 5 pounds very heavy for that kind of weapon? And it must be nice having a wife so interested, Mr. Moore.
M.

it is from what I've seen, but if it handles well, I can only gain in muscle, and if it is balanced right, then I'll be able to handle a lighter sword just that much more efficiently, (unless I'm just misguided) I've done that for basketball, and it worked then...
and yes, it is very nice to have such a supportive wife. she'd be learning right alongside me, if her knees, back, and elbows hadn't "crapped" out on her.

-Vegetius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th c longsword from windlass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic