Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About weird Maximilian armours proportions... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: About weird Maximilian armours proportions...         Reply with quote

Hello guys,
Do you have or know where i can get images of true Maximilian (Or the contemporary similar non fluted Italian one) armours intended for combat? (Field armours)
I´m trying to understand some Maxiilian armour proportions (Again X(... ) and i have the problem that a lot of them have weird ones.
My guess is that they are child armour or armours composed of different parts, not the full suit is original.

Thanks.

I have uploaded some specimens with some proportions and some measurement. Not Maximilian ones.

Attachment: 33.68 KB
Maximilian non fluted armour ca. 1510 - 'field armour for Giano II 3 Proportions.JPG
Not a Maximilian Style, but useful too. Giano II Field armour. Ca 1510

Attachment: 50.41 KB
Maximilian non fluted armour italian_armor_upload Proportions.JPG
Italian armour

Attachment: 137.09 KB
This is the side view of Henry VIII armours with some proportions. [ Download ]

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

None of those are particularly Maximilian.

My recommedation would be to find some museum catalogues. Check them out from a library or begin to build your own library. The more examples you see, the better an idea you'll get.

Just searching the net can be frustrating, though there are many (many) pictures out there.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What do you find strange with the proportions in these armors? Of course armor proportions would often look a bit odd if compared to the proportions of an unarmored human being (i.e. the kind of human proportion most artists are trained to depict), so a comparison of that kind might not always be entirely appropriate.

(This also seems to be why many modern artists--particularly fantasy illustrators and cover artists--are so fond of drawing people in full armor but without a helmet, because the helmet is the greatest offender in "skewing" the armor's proportions relative to those of an unarmored human being's.)
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
None of those are particularly Maximilian.

My recommedation would be to find some museum catalogues. Check them out from a library or begin to build your own library. The more examples you see, the better an idea you'll get.

Just searching the net can be frustrating, though there are many (many) pictures out there.

Thank you for the answers guys,
Chad:
So, Wich is the style of such suits?

Guys, do you know if the waist compresisons of some armours, could difficult breathing or movement?

Thanks.

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Chad:
So, Wich is the style of such suits?

Most of Henry VIII's harnesses were made at Greenwich in what developed into an English style often called "Greenwich armour". The tonlet harness of Henry's that you put above was made by Italians working in England. I don't know that it's a fully developed Greenwich armour, but there are others more qualified to answer that. If it's not a Greenwich armour, I'd just call it "16th century armour". Happy

The other two are Italian 16th century armours, I guess. I don't think there's a fancy term for them, but someone wil correct me if I'm wrong. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Guys, do you know if the waist compresisons of some armours, could difficult breathing or movement?.

I don't think so. The waists on some breastplates only look small in comparison to the broadest parts of the armor (especially the flaring skirts), and I suppose they'd actually fit quite comfortably on the waist of a physically well-exercised (i.e. not overweight) man.
Werner Stiegler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe this one's closer to what we'd call a maximilian harness.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About weird Maximilian armours proportions...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic