Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Traditional Chinese Swordplay League Tournament DVD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Traditional Chinese Swordplay League Tournament DVD         Reply with quote

Last year I had the honor of being invited to referee the Traditional Chinese Swordplay League's tournament in Bozeman, Montana. This was hosted by Scott Rodell of the Great River Taoist Center.

I've received word that the DVD of this event is now available here:

http://www.swordleague.com/

You can see a preview of it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6577...&hl=en

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's interesting Bill! I might just check out the DVD when it becomes available. I think it's good to see other traditions of fencing employing more open fencing and pressure testing. And strangley, the brief snippets from the clip resemble a good deal of the HEMA bouting on Youtube and that I've seen in person at conferences (not a value judgement either way, just an observation).

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Carew wrote:
That's interesting Bill! I might just check out the DVD when it becomes available. I think it's good to see other traditions of fencing employing more open fencing and pressure testing. And strangley, the brief snippets from the clip resemble a good deal of the HEMA bouting on Youtube and that I've seen in person at conferences (not a value judgement either way, just an observation).

Cheers,

Bill

Hey Bill,
The DVD is out right now (the clip was released a few months ago). You're right, the bouting does end up looking very much like a lot of HEMA bouts. There are some distinct stylistic differences, but on the whole very similar.

This was a fascinating event for me to take part in. Originally I'm from a Japanese martial arts background, and then for the past decade or so I've been purely devoted to European arts. The only thing I know of from Chinese martial arts is from discussions and observations in being friends with Scott Rodell, and to see a pool of experienced Chinese martial artists enter a free play environment was really interesting for me.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Traditional Chinese Swordplay League Tournament DVD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic