Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Customs tax on items coming from Lutel? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Customs tax on items coming from Lutel?         Reply with quote

Will I be taxed? And if so, what would be rough estimate (percent or flat rate) on the tax US customs would charge on an order from Lutel in CZ. It's been sometime since I've made an off-shore order, and would like an inkling of what to expect when the sword arrives.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That depends... When I ordered some Lutel swords with a friend, I had to go pick them up from British Airways airfreight, as my friend ordered a Big Mother Two-Handed Sword (BMTHS) and as a result they were shipped in a big wooden box. I had to go collect paperwork at BA and then go down to customs to get the items cleared and pay the duty before I could pick up the box. The duty was about $40 for two swords, a hand-and-a-half and the aforementioned BMTHS.

I seem to recall inquiring about this same question in advance of my shipment on this forum, and someone mentioning that his shipment showed up at his house without any customs complications of any kind (you could probably find the post here somewhere).
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One more thing. If you do have to clear them through US customs, you'll have to declare them as something. I think I told them they were decorative metalwork or stage props or something. Just don't tell them they're weapons... Wink
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will go off without a hitch! Big Grin
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Andrew, I'm in the San Francisco bay area. My experience with ordering direct from Lutel (on two occasions) did not cost me any additional taxes or costs. Further, and I'm not sure this is relevant, none of my other shipments from the Czech Republic (Patrick Barta, Arma Bohemia, etc.) have resulted in any additional costs.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have ordered several times from Lutel over the years, and from another Czech outfit, Arma Bohemia. My orders have never resulted in any customs payments or complications. The most recent order was within the last 18 months or so and I'm in Central Ohio. Perhaps it all comes down to whether the package can be sent parcel based on size.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, now I remember: it was Nathan who replied with pretty much the same answer as above. I'm pretty sure it was the size of the box that ended us up in customs. So you're probably OK, based on the accounts above.
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: lutel         Reply with quote

i orderd the german #15024 sword in late novemeber .any one no how long it takes to get done. and any one have this sword and is it as well balaced as it looks ,or any thing to say about it good or bad i to live in the bay area S.J
thx
tseaton
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't see a Seaton on their wait list.

Are you sure you sword has not already been sent to you?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: lutel         Reply with quote

waiting list on the cz site that one hasent been updated sence 11-5-8 is there another list couldent find one on the new site. i was told the wait is about 3 to 6 mouths ?
thx for the reply
tseaton
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: lutel         Reply with quote

Tim Seaton wrote:
waiting list on the cz site that one hasent been updated sence 11-5-8 is there another list couldent find one on the new site. i was told the wait is about 3 to 6 mouths ?
thx for the reply
tseaton

Only aware of the one list and you right it has not been updated since November, which is unusual in my experience. Not necessarily something to be alarmed about, but unusual.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe Lutel uses their new shop site now and perhaps has left the old one alone: http://www.lutel.eu/
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Customs tax on items coming from Lutel?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic