Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Windlass GBS Resurrected Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Windlass GBS Resurrected         Reply with quote

Saw a trailer for Inkheart today, and there at 1:40 was a Windlass Gothic Bastard sword! Wonder if it'll come back as a movie replica or something...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-oBVT4g28

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks to me like Del Tin Gothic bastard sword.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both the Windlass and Del Tin versions are based on the same sword.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe yeah...kinda hard to figure out exactly which one it is...or a completely new one based on a split second on screen time Happy .
Bill Love

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Windlass GBS Resurrected         Reply with quote

It's the Windlass GBS-I have both it and the Del Tin. The tipoff is the large flat pommel and visible nut, along with the smaller and less flared cross. I like both versions for different reasons.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Did the MRL version use the Del Tin blade? I have this sword and from your description, it sounds like I may have what you are referring to as the MRL version, albeit I always thought mine was Del Tin. Perhaps a MRL assembled version using a Del Tin Blade? If so, wonder why they would go to this trouble. Must have been a cost issue I suppose...

Note, my cross guard is not slightly "S" shaped if that helps identify it. I believe the current MRL version is. I had assumed mine was an older version Del Tin, but now you have me wondering. And I do have a round tang block/nut at the end of the peened pommel as well.

All that being said, it is a very lively, well balanced and sweet piece IMHO.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL did hilt some Del Tin blades as part of their offerings back when they were a DT distributor. Maybe yours is one of those, Terry.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terry Crain wrote:
Hi Bill,

Did the MRL version use the Del Tin blade? I have this sword and from your description, it sounds like I may have what you are referring to as the MRL version, albeit I always thought mine was Del Tin. Perhaps a MRL assembled version using a Del Tin Blade? If so, wonder why they would go to this trouble. Must have been a cost issue I suppose...

Note, my cross guard is not slightly "S" shaped if that helps identify it. I believe the current MRL version is. I had assumed mine was an older version Del Tin, but now you have me wondering. And I do have a round tang block/nut at the end of the peened pommel as well.

All that being said, it is a very lively, well balanced and sweet piece IMHO.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Terry

If it is a Del Tin, or at least a DT blade, it will have their maker's mark on it - either their shield, the words in very tiny font "Del Tin", or a running wolf. If its not there chances are it is a Windlass piece.

That said, though, sometimes the first two marks are hidden by the crossguard, and are not visible unless you dismount the hilt.
Bill Love

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Windlass GBS Resurrected         Reply with quote

Terry,
You most likely have the Windlass GBS with a Windlass blade, especially if it has a pommel nut. One of the ways to tell if the blade is a Windlass is if it looks hammer forged, i.e. it has ripples in it and a pronounced distal taper. The Del Tin version is done through stock removal, has much less distal taper, and is peened flush with the pommel. It also has the Del Tin maker's mark as C. Gadda said as well as a complex flare and taper configuration where the blade meets the cross that the Windlass blade doesn't. The old MRL GBS with the Del Tin blade also had the peened tang (at least the one I saw did). Do you have any pictures of your sword?

Napoleon Bonaparte
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a bone...

I seen this on TV the other day and noticed the sword. Now, I can't tell 100% if its a Del Tin or Windlass (or old WinTin for that matter). But, if the movie sword is a Windlass offering; it is suprising that they are not all over it with their marketing. Evertime they have ever had something featured in a movie in the past, the catalog released 2-3 months prior have something in them to tip you off. Take for example KoH. The items were featured in the winter catalogue, the movie came out in late spring. There are some exceptions with the LoTR and Narnia stuff, but for the most part, I have found this true to form.

Just a thought...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am quite familiar with the Del Tin markings and have quite a few of their pieces. Older ones with the cool running wolf (my favorite mark) newer ones with the nice Del Tin Coat of Arms shield, ones with the words "Del Tin" and some with the additional marking "made in Italy". I also have some where the mark is partially covered by the crossguard, so I know what you mean.

I did not have the sword in front of me earlier and now I do. It is clearly a Del Tin blade. Nice lines, none of the Windlass 'waveiness" (I have many Windlass's to compare it to), and also has the characteristic lacquer coating use by Del Tin. But the proof positive of the Del Tin origin of the blade is the partially obscured "MADE IN ITALY" marking. It is half covered up by the cross guard, but unmistakable nonetheless.

So the blade is Del Tin, but the other aspects are also present. round tang nut, peened pommel, straight smaller crossguard than the current version offered by Del Tin (if I am reading their stats correctly) i.e. shorter and no slight "S"curve to the guard.

So is it an older version by Del Tin or a MRL assembled sword with a Del Tin Blade and parts from other manufacturors? I don't know for sure. I will add that the leather work on the grip (which is two thirds leather, one third wire wrap) appears to me to be the type and quality used by Del Tin.

So I am leaning toward this being a Del Tin. I will have to ask my daughter to lend me some technical assistance and see if I can figure out how to (i) use my digital camara; and (ii) post some pictures of the sword in question (very sad, I know). Then perhaps some of you will be able to solve this puzzle...

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but we appear to be talking about a version of the sword in question from the film, which looks pretty interesting from the clip....

Best regards,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Btw, when I handled current Del Tin version of that sword, I was surprised with its flexibility. It is not overly flexible, but I expected much stiffer blade. I assume Windlass version wouldn't be any stiffer...
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Btw, when I handled current Del Tin version of that sword, I was surprised with its flexibility. It is not overly flexible, but I expected much stiffer blade. I assume Windlass version wouldn't be any stiffer...

good to hear this because with a few more coins in the coffer, I'll be ordering a DT 5155...

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled 5157, the bigger version, 5155 might be different. Don't be put off by what I said. it wasn't criticism, just observation. I think the sword is still stiff enough, but for full armoured combat, I would choose 5140 which is stiffer.
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terry, you have an original MRL with a del tin blade. Your actually quite lucky, as those are hard to come by. Any version made strictly by Deltin will have a slightly wavey guard. If you guard is strait and does not flare as much, it is a MRL handle. These swords were also used in the Highlander TV show. Richie Ryan was given this sword by Duncan MacLeod because it was the sword of one of Duncan's old teachers.

Highlander fans will pay alot of money for an original MRL with a Deltin blade. I have an all windlass version, and it's just not made as well. The leather wrap isn't even as well done as the MRL/Deltin version. I believe MRL went through some changes after dropping the Deltin line of swords and blades, and these changes had a negative effect on this particular blade.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kinda surprised no one has ever submitted a review of either these swords for myArmoury...
Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Bill Love

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Windlass GBS Resurrected         Reply with quote

That is weird. Sword Forum did one a long time ago, though.

http://swordforum.com/swords/deltin/gbs-vs-ghh.html

Napoleon Bonaparte
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to own a Windlass GBS, though I've never handled the Del Tin version. I remember it being very light with very good balance - proof of Windlass' improvement in their pieces. I caught a glimpse of it in the movie trailer (maybe that's the one I owned! Razz If it is, I want it back! Cool )

Movie looks good, I might have to take the ladyfriend out to see it.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Brian Kent

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm thinking the one in the trailer is the Windlass. Once DT started making the 5155 and 5157(which i have) their guards had the slight S curve to them. As far as I know the Windlass had the straight guard. I have always wanted the windlass but I was too late and Windlass discontinued it and got the Del Tin instead.

I've been playing around with the idea of getting a custom one made recently.
Brian Kent

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a recent email from a MRL/Atlanta Cutlery customer service rep I'd like to share!

"There are indeed plans to bring this sword back into production, but it
will be some time before those plans are finalized. Keep watching our
website/catalog for further details."

Thank you,

George
Museum Replicas, Ltd.

So there is good news! The sword will make a triumphiant return to production, don't know when but I will get one this time.

Brian

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Windlass GBS Resurrected
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: