Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > VA "Scottish Sword" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Rohlin

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: VA "Scottish Sword"         Reply with quote

Howdy! Been reading this forum for a couple of years now -- finally decided to join. First post here.

Had a question regarding the Valiant Armory "Scottish Sword." I have been studying WMA for about seven years now and own a couple of different weapons -- nothing expensive, though, as most of my limited income is otherwise tied-up. I was interested in getting a 11th-14thC piece to go with a kit I am getting together. Unless I am mistaken this sword is actually a reproduction of the Scottish half-lang. I know this is below the quality grade at which most of you folks around here operate, but I was wondering if anybody owns one of these, has handled it, and could tell me something about the heft and quality. I would basically like something that can stand up to moderate amounts of sparring and cutting practice -- it's a requirement for any sword I own. I know there have been some complaints about VA's old line being overtly hefty or clunky. I own their Scottish Dirk and have been very impressed with it. It's a workhorse and has taken anything I put it through.

If anyone could help me out with this (or point me to a better option that isn't too pricey) I would sure be obliged. Happy
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Richard,

I am also a Halflang fan. I have not handled this one, but at 3.7 pounds (what one site said) it sounds very heavy for a relatively short sword. Like most of theirs, other than the new signature line. I think that Cas Iberia had a similar one at a similar price, but I cannot find it anymore. Neither of them are very historically accurate for a 'Half-lang'.

There are not too many options out there for this type of replica and that price point. Working your way up the foodchain, I think Deepeeka has one but I would not call that functional. John Barnett (UK) has a relatively inexpensive one that looks kind of cool on the web picture - but I am suspicious of this and have read negative things somewhere (anyone really know this maker?). Generation 2 had a longer semi-historic version but they stopped making it. Maybe you can still find one somewhere. At twice the price that you want to pay you can get the Del Tin, also almost a 1.5 hander. Twice the price again gets you an Albion Laird sword or Caithness, very sweet, although not exactly what I was looking for. There are a few other semi-custom things being made in Britain, but pricey compared to your range. After searching this out, I ended up commissioning something based on a museum piece (probably does not help you).

I think that if you are looking for a sword that fits that period and handles / cuts well you could likely find something much better in a similar price range...not necessarily a half-lang but Northern Brits probably would have used anything from that period they could get their hands on (or usually a bit older, since they were generally 'backward').

JD

PS - sparring AND cutting? For safety sake I would recommend choosing one or the other, i.e., either a blunt or a sharp.
Richard Rohlin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
PS - sparring AND cutting? For safety sake I would recommend choosing one or the other, i.e., either a blunt or a sharp.

Big Grin Right! I phrased that wrong. Happy I do full-contact sparring, so a sharpened weapon is obviously a bad idea. Just meant that it needed to be able to take some abuse. I generally use wooden wasters and padding for sparring practice.

Due to the lack of really finding something suitable in half-lang form out there I have decided to wait on this particular kit till I can do like you did and commission a museum piece. Also, believe it or not, my financial situation has rather improved since last I posted this so I am possibly considering the Albion Laird as a close second to what I want. Though... It has occurred to me that lowland Scots probably used the same equipage as the English, as opposed to doing something that was distinctively Scottish.

Thanks for the reply, JD!
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will send some more details in a p.m.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > VA "Scottish Sword"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic