Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valsgarde sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
David Huggins

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Valsgarde sword         Reply with quote

I'm looking into commisioning a migration period spartha, pattern welded, and Patrick Barta is my favourite for the task.
What I'm seeking is any information on any swords from the Valsgarde inhumations, please can anyone help?Cheers

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey David...

You have fine taste in swords and swordmakers.

Here are some pictures I found of Valsgarde Swords.

ks

Attachment: 86.69 KB
Beh4..Svardsfastet.Valsgard.jpg

Attachment: 97.72 KB
Beh4.Valsgarde6Small.jpg

Attachment: 86.18 KB
Beh4.ValsgardeGr.7.Small.jpg

Attachment: 97.78 KB
Beh4.ValsgardeGr.7Small.jpg

Attachment: 99.22 KB
Beh4.ValsgardeGr.8Small.jpg

Attachment: 87.07 KB
Beh4.Vendel..ValsgardeGr6.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers Kirk, the swords are all equally beautiful !! The sword I'm after in particular are the (two swords) approximate to the Valsgarde 7 inhumation. One I understand is a ring pommel the other not.Would you know which of the images these would be? Where did you source the images? In my own (humble ) opinion Patrick is a master of his craft and his pattern welding second to none, pure art.
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
...The sword I'm after in particular are the (two swords) approximate to the Valsgarde 7 inhumation. One I understand is a ring pommel the other not.Would you know which of the images these would be? Where did you source the images?....

Hi David...

Sorry on the source info... I have had those images for a long time... I think that they came of the internet with no source info... However if someone knows which work these images came from please let me know so I can source them and hopefully find more data.

If you put the cursor over the image it should show the picture file name, any info I have will be included in that. The third and forth sword I posted indicate grave 7.

take care

and welcome to the forum... it's good to have you here! Big Grin

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you once again Kirk, much appreciated. An other member off-line has kindly offered further resources.

I love this Big Grin forum!!

Best regards

Dave

Andres M. Chesini Remic

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking for further information on the Valsgärde 6 sword.
Does anyone know if it was found along with a scabbard?
I've found some pics of the hilt (these here are great too!) but not much info about it... what's the material? is the pommel hollow? what's it's weight? dimensions?
Also, what's the overall lenght and widht of the blade?

Too many questions =$

Still... any information will be of use =)

"El que no viene por donde debiera, no viene a lo que dice - P. B. Palacios ~ Almafuerte"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andres M. Chesini Remic wrote:
I'm looking for further information on the Valsgärde 6 sword.
Does anyone know if it was found along with a scabbard?
I've found some pics of the hilt (these here are great too!) but not much info about it... what's the material? is the pommel hollow? what's it's weight? dimensions?
Also, what's the overall lenght and widht of the blade?

Too many questions =$

Still... any information will be of use =)

Which sword from Valsgarde 6 were you referring to? Two were found. Both had traces of scabbards adhering to them, but I don't believe there was anything reconstructable. Here are the stats for both swords, per my partial translation of the Weapons chapter of Arwidsson's book:

Sword I
Dimensions: Length 94 cm. Blade Length: 78 cm. Blade Width: 4.8 cm. Greatest Thickness: ~0.7 cm, Length of the Grip: 9.8 cm. Width of the tang: 2.6-1.8 cm, measured on the upper side of the lower guard and on the underside of the upper guard. The upper guard 10.8x1.7x2.5 cm, the lower guard 12x1.5x2.8 cm. Width of the scabbard at the top is ca. 5 cm, greatest thickness of the scabbard ca. 2 cm. Thickness of the wood 2-2.5 mm

Sword II
Dimensions. Present length of the sword is 89.5 cm. Blade length is 76 cm, and width is 5.5 cm. The grip is 9.6 cm long and nach unten zu 3.2 cm wide. The thickness of the lower guard is ca. 2.2 cm. The scabbard is nach oben ca. 6.4 cm wide, and the wood thickness is 2-2.5 mm.

(Sorry for the left over bits of German in the text - as I said, it was a partial, unfinished translation. Guess I'd better get cracking and finish it!)
Andres M. Chesini Remic

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm interested on both swords.
Don't worry about the german, I understand it, and this was really useful to me! =)

"El que no viene por donde debiera, no viene a lo que dice - P. B. Palacios ~ Almafuerte"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys great to see some interest in migration period swords, as they dont get much attention online. I'm already on Mr. Barta's waiting list but haven't yet decided on which sword I would like but one of the Valsgarde swords is in the top three. best of luck with your order, I'm sure Patrick will make something worthy of a king
Éirinn go Brách
Andres M. Chesini Remic

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Such a coincidence!
I mailed Patrick a few days ago, asking him if he has done, or is going to do any valsgarde sword. He replied that he was just about to do it, because of the increasing demand on it =)

Back on the topic:

I browsed sweden's museum of history's archive for a couple of hours, and I didn't find anything on valsgarde helmets or swords.- A pity...

Any suggestion?

David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Valsgarde sword         Reply with quote

Hello

I have a Valsgarde 7 ring pommel sword and scabbard on order with Patrick,. Not sure where I am in his waiting list though, but know it will be well worth the wait. Having handled Paul Mortimer's Sutton Hoo spatha, a sword of high art and beauty made by Patrick, I am greatly looking forward to seeing the V7 sword on completion.

best
Dave

Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some picture of a beautiful ringhilt from Gr. 8 at Valsgarde. There even seems to be some of the carving on the wooded scabbard core preserved.

take care

ks

Attachment: 146.96 KB
MIG.Bh6.VendelRing.ValsgardeGr.8.All.jpg

Attachment: 148.02 KB
MIG.Bh6.VendelRing.ValsgardeGr.8.HiltPom.jpg

Attachment: 148.92 KB
MIG.Bh6.VendelRing.ValsgardeGr.8.Hilt.jpg

Attachment: 148.56 KB
MIG.Bh6.VendelRing.ValsgardeGr.8.ScabbardCarving.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Sat 23 May, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laurent Bemtgen wrote:
Hello, I just wanted to know if there have been swords found in Grave Nr.5 and Nr.8 ? It's hard to find Infos in the internet and I still had no possibility to get G. Arwidssons books.

Curiously, the Valsgarde 5 grave has never been published. It was *supposed* to have been - the Valsgarde 7 book, published in the late 1970's, states that Par Olson was going to write it, but to my knowledge it never saw the light of day, nor do I have any idea what became of the material that would have comprised it or who presently posseses it. My suspicion, given that Par also wrote "Die Saxe von Valsgarde I" in the 1940's, is that he may simply have passed away, leaving publication of Valsgarde 5 in limbo.

Too bad, as the Valsgarde 5 helmet is an important artifact - pity someone in Sweden can't take the initiative and publish something about it.
Laurent Bemtgen

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
Laurent Bemtgen wrote:
Hello, I just wanted to know if there have been swords found in Grave Nr.5 and Nr.8 ? It's hard to find Infos in the internet and I still had no possibility to get G. Arwidssons books.

Curiously, the Valsgarde 5 grave has never been published. It was *supposed* to have been - the Valsgarde 7 book, published in the late 1970's, states that Par Olson was going to write it, but to my knowledge it never saw the light of day, nor do I have any idea what became of the material that would have comprised it or who presently posseses it. My suspicion, given that Par also wrote "Die Saxe von Valsgarde I" in the 1940's, is that he may simply have passed away, leaving publication of Valsgarde 5 in limbo.

Too bad, as the Valsgarde 5 helmet is an important artifact - pity someone in Sweden can't take the initiative and publish something about it.

Well, that's a shame, for as I was really hoping to find some mor informations on the Valsgare 5 grave. But it seems as the work could not be finished. Well, hopefully someone will continue this work, because, as you say, the Valsgarde 5 Helmet really is an important an interesting artifact.

See You on the Battlefield!
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been told by a friend of mine who attended a scholarly seminar in Uppsala recently that they plan to translate all the Valsgarde books into English soon and print updated versions.

Valsgarde 5 has never been written -- Birgit Ahrrenius was doing it - but the work seems to have come to stop. When I asked her about it, a couple of years ago, she was very non-committal. This series of books began in 1942 - 3 books in 67 years -- possibly a record wait for volume 4! We can't expect too much!

Paul
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Valsgarde sword         Reply with quote

Hurrah Paul.... Happy We shall just have to be patient and await the reprints...grrrrr Exclamation
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Valsgarde sword         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Hurrah Paul.... Happy We shall just have to be patient and await the reprints...grrrrr Exclamation

Aye I am getting some parts of the Valsgarde 8 book translated from german to latvian for my use as my german knowledge iss rather limited, but that will not be of much use to english-speaking community I fear Happy So getting a proper reprint in english would be most useful.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
I have been told by a friend of mine who attended a scholarly seminar in Uppsala recently that they plan to translate all the Valsgarde books into English soon and print updated versions.

Thank the gods! No more wading through the books armed with nought but a huge English/German dictionary and an ever increasing wish that I'd paid more attention to Mrs Braun at school.

I got my copy of the V8 report when I went to Upsalla. The lady on the desk at the Gustavianum was so apologetic about the V8 helmet not being on display on the day that I visited that she gave me her copy. Cool

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt,
You are a lucky man! I had to buy mine -- and all the other ones.

Paul
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Matt,
You are a lucky man! I had to buy mine -- and all the other ones.

Paul

Lucky indeed; I got all of the rest for free too, from a very nice man with a shiny hat. Wink

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valsgarde sword
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: