Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The term "morningstar" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: The term "morningstar"         Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering when the term morningstar was coined? Is it a period term or a later invention. Also, does it refer to all weapons with spiked balls or only to the flail variety? Is a knobbed head also a morningstar or must it feature spikes?
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kenneth,

To the best of my knowledge the morgenstern ("morningstar" in English) is, properly speaking, a mace with a spiked head-- this is as opposed to the flail (therscol) which is commonly (and mistakenly) called a morningstar today.

I don't know how the morningstar got its name, but wouldn't be surprised if it had a somewhat humorous origin-- the same weapon was also called a "godendag" (meaning "good day! Big Grin ).

Hope that helps,

David
L. Jong

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

may or may not be connected to how it got its name, but morning star also means a planet that rises before the sun (usually venus)

perhaps the spiked head of the mace resembled a star. Thats just a stab in the dark though
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Hi Kenneth,

To the best of my knowledge the morgenstern ("morningstar" in English) is, properly speaking, a mace with a spiked head-- this is as opposed to the flail (therscol) which is commonly (and mistakenly) called a morningstar today.

I don't know how the morningstar got its name, but wouldn't be surprised if it had a somewhat humorous origin-- the same weapon was also called a "godendag" (meaning "good day! Big Grin ).

Hope that helps,

David

David
I may be way off here and this link may have ben discredited, but it suggests that a godendag or goedendag is quite different from a morningstar.
http://www.liebaart.org/goeden_e.htm
I came across it a little while back in a spin-off from a similar discussion and I've been trying to get hold of the parts to try and make one (a bucket spike off a bobcat loader is the current favourite for the pointy end).
Geoff
David McElrea

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the correction-- I hadn't realised there was such a weapon as the one shown on the link-- I had also assumed the godendag/goedendag was German. Flemish... hmm!

I appreciate it,

David
Dan Tucker

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

isn't it interesting how people in the middle ages gave such pleasant names to their spiked implements of painful death? "good day", "morning star", and "holy water sprinkler". somebody back then must have had a sense of humor Big Grin
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the correction-- I hadn't realised there was such a weapon as the one shown on the link-- I had also assumed the godendag/goedendag was German. Flemish... hmm!

I appreciate it,

David

Hi David
Well, I'm not sure it's a correction, just another opinion, but it seems to fairly well backed up. I, like you, have seen goedendags (or whatever the correct plural is) equated with morningstars and even with halberds. These ones put me in mind of upmarket digging sticks for breaking up hard ground. A lot of weapons seem to have had agricultural forebears.
Regards
Geoff
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Tucker wrote:
isn't it interesting how people in the middle ages gave such pleasant names to their spiked implements of painful death? "good day", "morning star", and "holy water sprinkler". somebody back then must have had a sense of humor Big Grin

Perhaps the name is meant to give positive feelings by associating with something pleasant.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Tucker wrote:

Hi Dan
I think black 'humorous' or more friendly sounding naming continues into more modern times (Chicago piano, Peacemaker [either one], Ronson, Stalin's banjo etc.). Other trades and professions have pet names for their equipment. Maybe soldiers need a laugh more than most.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And the famed Molotov Cocktail. Big Grin As I understand, it was devised by the Finns as an anti-tank weapon when they were invaded by the Soviets (whose Foreign Minister was Mr. Molotov). It is a sardonic title, I think.
Herbert Schmidt

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about the "Arkansas Toothpick"?
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Tucker wrote:

Most definately. Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The term "morningstar"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic