Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rob Roy sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John McCullan

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Rob Roy sword         Reply with quote

please does anybody have any current information on the" Rob Roy" Sword. Dimensions, pictures etc,, or even where it is now held? I am traditionally given a free tweed suit every Christmas,, and I have managed to negotiate 1 Basket hilted sword for 2 suits from my employer,. It taking about year to produce the sword, so I get it next Christmas The only stipulation was that I do some of the early research, so I was wondering if anyone out there help me,
I have been told I will be able to see its development,. So I will keep you all informed.
Many thanks
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob Roy's sword is located in Moidart, West Highlands according to Paul MacDonald, who preserved it last year. The stats for the blade were never released. It may be worth emailing him because he had a lot of time with it but may only release them under an NDA agreement, if at all. Good luck!
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John,
A few pictures in these threads on SFI. You can also search for images on google and you'll get a few more pictures from some other forum...
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80549
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82635

Paul MacDonald can be contacted through his website: http://www.historicalfencing.org/Macdonaldarmory/index.htm

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
John McCullan

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the pics and info, have emailed and awaiting reply. It's may be that I cannot get enough information for a totally accurate reproduction, I suppose I have a choice then of, a "guesstimate" or go for another design.
Will keep you up to date with what happens, again, much thanks for the help.
John
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So John,

Your employer will have the pleasure of seeing you walking around in rags,...but well armed, eh?!

Mr Paul McDonald is a very nice chap, and I'm sure he will be of some assistance....though I don't mean to speak for him here!

please keep us up-dated on happenings.

Best wishes from an exile in the frozen wastes of Canada. (-35C this morn)
John McCullan

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That cold!, I don't really expect a reply till after Christmas. I will not be looking too shabby, as he does tend to buy decent tweed, and I expect some of the clothing to still be serviceable for my grandchildren.
The trouble is, I think this could be the thin end of the wedge. and I get the collecting bug.
John McCullan

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am going to try it and attach a photo of of a sword my employer commissioned. It is still not finished, at what the smith calls "first fitting" awaiting final instructions on pommel patterning, detailing on guard, and whether the guard is to be blued, or polished, or a combination of both, also a full or half lining to the basket.
This commission, is to be given as a present to Orkney man, (on Burns night-no rush then!) So the basket hilt, was ordered with ravens, inserted ,and cut out of the guard to represent Orkney's Viking past. I have been lucky enough to see most of the sword being forged. The guard is a combination of cuttings, piercings, forged together and shaped, the pommel is also forged to shape.
The blade has by way of being forged, different amounts of carbon in different areas of the blade, along with differing profiles along its length. This is to allow for the different characteristics that are needed in the blade, to allow for the different jobs each part of the blade is expected to perform. It was then slack quenched, forming harder edges and a softer body. The fullers were chiselled in, this actually moves rather than removes the metal,(I was surprised there)
They were then ground / filed and polished to final shape. I must say, the amount will final grinding/ fileing the blade needed to give it shape was a lot less than I thought , most of the shape, tapers and profiles were achieved by forging.
It seems that making a sword this way is as much about art and experience,, as it is science.
If any of the processes above mislabelled orc incorrectly explained, this is my fault and not that of the smith,, as I'm still learning the terms and explanations of general swordology.
Anyway, after seeing all this being made before my eyes,. I'm afraid I have caught the bug.
PS ferrals and scabbard fittings are in bronze.
John McCullan

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK will try again. seem to be doing some thing wrong here can not load pics ?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John McCullan wrote:
OK will try again. seem to be doing some thing wrong here can not load pics ?

Please check the attachment guide in the Info section. Also, please note each sub-forum may have different attachment size limits. Simple click the "'Allowed Extensions and Sizes" link when in the posting screen.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
John McCullan

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will try again to insert it pic. General information, the blade is modelled on one from the Wallace collection, dated between 1100-1300, Oakeshott type Xa, it is slightly under 2 inches at the hilt, and 33 1/4 long .The idea behind it being used on a basket hilted sword ,is that it also covers a time period that the recipient is interested in,many old blades were re hilted -as you would prefer a proven blade in battle than a un -tried one - it also shows a certain Scottish frugalness!
The weight of the sword at the moment is 3 lbs. 4 oz. and point of balance 3 1/2 inches from guard.
The guard is to be heat-treated blued/ black, making it more resistant to scottish weather, and a simple cross engraved on the pommel. A red leather half lining used inside the guard, matching the grip leather, and scabbard leather.
The colour scheme of black ,red and gold (in reality bronze) actually looks quite eye-catching.
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,

I contacted Paul McDonald, and he said he will be happy to assist you, as the original McGregor sword is still at his armoury.

Please send me a PM, and I will supply you with his contact information.

Best wishes,

Richard.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rob Roy sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic