Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Is the XVa a good cutting sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Is the XVa a good cutting sword?         Reply with quote

I know it is designed for the thrust but I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience cutting with it?

I"m looking at the albion talhoffer specifically.

thnx.

E Pluribus Unum
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a review of that sword by Bill Grandy in the Reviews section. I also seem to remember a few other people being pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of the Talhoffer's edge, as well as Albion's other Type XVs. A search of the forums should give you more to go on. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Gen2 Lucerne that is an XVa. It is a good cutting sword. Cutting may not be its primary function over thrusting but it still makes for a good cutter. It does require more force and better edge alignment but it isn't bad at cutting at all.
Newbie Sword collector
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the XVa a good cutting sword?         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
I know it is designed for the thrust but I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience cutting with it?

thnx.

Well, it always depends on the individual sword. Some XVa swords are terrible cutters, some are pretty decent (when you consider that they're thrusting weapons). I think many of the modern makers tend to err more on the cutting side because that's what so many modern customers want, but it would seem that there are a number of antiques that were very focused on thrusting over cutting, according to Oakeshott.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good cutting swords compared to what? To a dagger? Yeah most likely. To your bare hands? Most definately unless your some godly martial artist. Compared to even a moderately decently made type XIII sword? Umm...no.

It does however gives you rather postive feedback on if anything you did is wrong. Makes you more aware of your mistakes and that can be a very good thing. And yes if you wanna cut, you can cut with the albion XVa swords.
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I really like the looks, and the purpose of the XVa, but I was wondering if a XVIII would be more appropriate for my needs.
E Pluribus Unum
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not only the cutting ability is to be considered, but the hole design of the sword. A sword was not made without the intention of use behind it, so every type has its place.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
Well I really like the looks, and the purpose of the XVa, but I was wondering if a XVIII would be more appropriate for my needs.

That depends entirely on what those needs are.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:

I think you should try to compare specific models you are interested in, rather than comparing by typology alone. The type XVIII in particular seems to have a good deal of variation in cross section and edge geometry. I have both the Albion Regent and the A&A Durer, which are both XVIII's and very similar in size but have very different character, the Durer having a thinner cutting section and a rather more flexible blade. It is the faster of the two and I feel it is equally capable of cutting and thrusting. The Regent has a much thicker spine and correspondingly more rigid blade which is more inclined to thrusts, although it can cut and has the weight and balance to create devastating percussion.
Personally I would prefer the Durer for facing an un-armored or lightly-armored opponent and the Regent for facing someone more heavily armored.
Comparing the two to the Albion Castellan (XVa), the Castellan has the most thrust-capable point but still has a decent cutting section and may actually be the most veratile of the 3 in a military context due to it's smaller size, which makes it equally well suited to one or two hand use. It is obviously designed with plate defense in mind but against a lightly-armored or un-armored opponent a well-placed cut could still do significant damage.
If you are interested mostly in 15th cent. German/Italian longsword styles the XVIII's might be better suited to your needs, context is very important and you have not provided much to go on.
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the XVa a good cutting sword?         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:

thnx.

Michael Edelson's review of the Albion Talhoffer is here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ing+review

cheers!

Pat

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Is the XVa a good cutting sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic