Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help on dating helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andres M. Chesini Remic

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Help on dating helmet         Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I've been a while around trying to date this helmet:

It's truly not difficult to find it on the internet as "viking". *wich is obviously not*

My question is why there's this confusion? Is this helm based on any archaelogical find you know?

To me, it looks more like a roman cavalry helmet of the Gallic war. Add some face protection to the Berkasovo helmet, and you got it:

Hmm... so... what's your opinion?

Greetings

Andrés

Ps: I apollogize for the add in the second pic. I couldn't find one without it.

"El que no viene por donde debiera, no viene a lo que dice - P. B. Palacios ~ Almafuerte"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it is a sorta helmet.

it is a windlass "Viking" helmet. it is supposed to be like the Gjermundbu style helmet only with a neck and cheek guards sorta found on many Vendal helmets. i own this helmet as well but the only place it "could have been" would be say 8-9th century AD and even at that the cheek and neck pieces need to be removed. a lot of reenactors use this "Style" of helmet for viking age.

it would not fall into late roman at all. it is complete wrong, being it has no center ridge, it has goggles not a nasal, no ear holes, no trimmings etc etc etc Wink
Andres M. Chesini Remic

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmrmrmr.....
I still doubt on dating it on such a late age...
It has some similarities to the Valsgärde 6 helmet (like the cheek plates, as you say), but with different neck protection.-
To me, the eyebrows still look closer to the berkasovo than to the Gjermundbu...
I don't want to be a stubborn, but I see to much influence of the 4th and 5th century to be a 9th century helm.... Of course, I can be wrong (and probably I am XD)

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "windlass helmet" means?
If it's the name of a helmet, I don't know of it... Neither found information on it... Is there some archaelogical basis for this? =/
(beeing an hybrid, I doubt it... T_T)

I also own a helmet of this kind, wich I use for fighting, since it provides much more protection than more accurate ones. =P

"El que no viene por donde debiera, no viene a lo que dice - P. B. Palacios ~ Almafuerte"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Windlass helmet" would be the maker, Windlass Steelcraft. I agree with Mr. Russell, within my own limited experience and knowledge, this is a helmet they took a lot of poetic license with. As you stated, it does look like a very bad attempt at a late Roman cavalry helm, crossed with a Gjermundbu. So to "date it" wouldn't be easy as I doubt a helmet in that specific style ever existed at any point, until about the time Windlass started making it.
“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Andres M. Chesini Remic

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why thank you, Hunter! n_n
You too, Chuck! =)
Though through a different way, you confirmed my suspects.-

Andrés

Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi the maker seems to be windlass steelcrafts the seller of the first one is Curious Antiquities Killer Antiques in Okonomowac Wisconsin.

any way here is a photo of the Gjermundbu helm this one is supposedly based upon. The original was a bit thinner more elaborate and did not have cheek guards.
The windlass helm is your classic fantasy viking helm the only thing its missing is horns Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 52.54 KB
myarmory pic to post.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help on dating helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic