Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Odinblade Scottish Baskethilt with Basket by Eljay Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Stokes

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Odinblade Scottish Baskethilt with Basket by Eljay         Reply with quote

Several years ago i purchased a simple "S" Hilt baskethilt from Eljay Erikson with a ATrim Backsword blade on it. It was a fairly simple, yet exquisite hilt, however due to unforseeable circumstances, I eventually had to pass it on to a new home.
About a year ago, I began discussing another project with ElJay, and this time I wanted something that was VERY historically accurate.
We pour through pages and pages of historical examples and since i wanted something a bit fancier, but still an "S" hilt, few finally decided on this one from Mazansky:

it was pretty fancy with alot of cutouts, and Eljay did an excellant job on it, which was to be expected, but then the question arose: What BLADE to put on it?
This hilt was FAR too nice to have a reworked production blade on it, oh no no... it had to be a CUSTOM blade!

Shortly thereafter I was talking to John Lundemo, and mentioned the basket and before i could even ask him, he volunteered for it with ALOT of enthusiasm!
This would be the FIRST Eljay hilt John had ever mounted, and to my knowledge, the only Eljay hilt out there with a 100% custom blade on it.
The Orignal had a double edged broadsword blade with triple fullers, however it appeared to be kinda thin at the base, and there are NO full length pictures of it. John and I decided since the basket was kinda heavy that a nice beefy blade was in order... the result is nothing short of spectacular!
John worked it out and this thing balances so well in the hand with the POB less than 4" from the cross.

Ill let the pictures tell the rest....

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shag...ltFull.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shag...ltHilt.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shag...lBlade.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shag...tBlade.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shag...tBlade.jpg
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Way nice!!!!
"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hilt speaks for itself, obviously, but man, that is one killer blade. Props to Lundemo on that effort.

Kenton
Jordan A.

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like how the scabbard echoes the fullers inside, and the chape is even nice, no corners are cut with John Lundemo! The basket is stunning bro.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an impressive sword. I love the hilt. Eljay's work speaks for itself. The blade is very nice! I really like beafy broadswords. Nice fullers.
But... With a sword that is as historically accurate as that one, I must confess that I do not like the scabbard. A typical scabbard from the mid 18th century should have a mouthpiece with a froghook or button, or a chape and froghook separate. Either left smooth or tooled with lines, crosses etc. My problem with the scabbard is really that I don't think it fits with the rest. It seems a bit anachronistic....
But the sword? LOVERLY! Happy

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
That's an impressive sword. I love the hilt. Eljay's work speaks for itself. The blade is very nice! I really like beafy broadswords. Nice fullers.
But... With a sword that is as historically accurate as that one, I must confess that I do not like the scabbard. A typical scabbard from the mid 18th century should have a mouthpiece with a froghook or button, or a chape and froghook separate. Either left smooth or tooled with lines, crosses etc. My problem with the scabbard is really that I don't think it fits with the rest. It seems a bit anachronistic....

Cheers,
Henrik
Agreed, the scabbard doesn't go historically. I don't do lockets and the rings and all that especially for the price. At Odin's I just offer this type woodcore with ribs and thin leather wrap and forged metal chape tip, or a hand sewn leather one. Some times I do the belts rigs for wearing, but those are also not historical. Sending out a messer repro end of month it's going to be pretty spot on but again he ordered the Odin scabbard, which fits darn good and most folks like the looks anyway. Sometimes I get frustrated because I have to do everything, Blades/ heat treat, etchings/carvings,hilts made from solid metal not cast, polish, scabbards, emails, shipping. Lots of guys out there who do scabbards exclusively. An Odin and a Triton scabbard say, who could bitch:)
David Stokes

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:

Cheers,
Henrik

I understand what you're saying....
but I figured since we took some liberties with the blade that a Odin style scabbard would be ok.
Besides, i dont actually WEAR any of my swords, they just hang on the wall, so any mounting hardware on them would be pointless really.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tell ya this, working with the Eljay hilt was a joy, his work is awesome! I have another of his baskets here that I'm gonna do a backsword blade for. Looking at some of the swords Nathan posted with ElJay hilts toasted my mind. I didn;t know he made all kinds of euro complex hilts, not only baskets. I'ld love to do more blade work for some of those types. Wink
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Lundemo wrote:
Tell ya this, working with the Eljay hilt was a joy, his work is awesome! I have another of his baskets here that I'm gonna do a backsword blade for. Looking at some of the swords Nathan posted with ElJay hilts toasted my mind. I didn;t know he made all kinds of euro complex hilts, not only baskets. I'ld love to do more blade work for some of those types. Wink

well John, Eljay emailed me and he told me that he is really pleased with the blade the blade turned out!
Also he offered to put me in line for future commissions....

so HEY, ya just might get your wish!

There are as many variations of baskethilts as their are fingerprint types, so we have alot to work with..... but i love the scottish stuff the best....... the S hilt being my favorite, cause... well..... how cool is it to have your INITIAL on the hilt?
J Anstey

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice package!!

I am in line for an Eljay basket towards the end of 2009. I was thinking about blades and might have to open discussions with Mr Lundemo now!

Many thanks

Jason
David Stokes

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
Really nice package!!

I am in line for an Eljay basket towards the end of 2009. I was thinking about blades and might have to open discussions with Mr Lundemo now!

Many thanks

Jason

ya wont be dissapointed!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Odinblade Scottish Baskethilt with Basket by Eljay
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic