Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > myArmoury Review FAQ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: myArmoury Review FAQ         Reply with quote

We get a lot of questions about our Hands-on Reviews. People often want to know more about them and how we produce them as well as what differences there may or may not be between our reviews and others on the 'net.

With that in mind, we've put together: Hands-on Reviews: Frequently Asked Questions.

Please check it out. We hope it answers some questions for you. If you ever have other questions not covered by this FAQ, please feel free to ask. Happy

This FAQ is also linked on our Reviews page for handy reference.

Enjoy!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting about this addition to the site, Chad.

I think it's important to note to our members how we go about our review process and what makes this part of our site different than the other reviews you see scattered on the 'net. We have a very unique difference here with our reviews even compared with product reviews that are completely outside the whole arms and armour market.

One of the biggest challenges of having a site that hosts as many product reviews as this one is getting the products in our hands. This is really an understatement, frankly, as it's quite literally been at the expense of a tremendous amount of effort and money. Most product review publications or product reviewers (not necessarily in our niche) receive products to review from manufacturers and are allowed to keep these products. This essentially creates a situation where the reviews are sponsored by the manufacturer. Of course this is appealing from the point of view of getting free stuff, but with it being a tremendous conflict of interest, we've avoided it. Free stuff sure would make it easier to bribe new authors to do the work, too, but then that wouldn't really produce a quality product so we avoid that, too. That's too bad for us, but great for the site. I guess it works out.

Another challenge has been our goal of making the reviews be a good read even to those people who aren't necessarily interested in ever purchasing the product being reviewed. This is important to us. We want these things to be a good read to anyone reading it. For the most part, I think we've done a pretty good job at that.

So anyway, the reason why I'm adding to this topic is this:

The next time any of you guys read a review of ours, I'd like to ask that you really think about all the hard work that's gone into it. I fully realize that from the outside looking in, it just looks like a one page article with some photos. Big deal, right? Well, there's a whole process involved in getting that thing online and, perhaps more importantly, a lot of consideration as to what that article is, why it's written the way it is, and what it's trying to articulate.

We really do hope you enjoy and get value from our hands-on reviewing efforts. It's weird looking back and seeing that we've completed and published literally hundreds of them. Wow. Where has the time gone?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, makers sending free stuff would be a problem staying honest even if one tried really really hard to be honest, but maybe if the product was sent back or paid in full if kept would make getting maker's work to review O.K.

Or, the product could become a prize for contests or donation drives ???

There could be other reasons why this wouldn't be practical that I haven't thought of ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yeah, makers sending free stuff would be a problem staying honest even if one tried really really hard to be honest, but maybe if the product was sent back or paid in full if kept would make getting maker's work to review O.K.

Or, the product could become a prize for contests or donation drives ???

There could be other reasons why this wouldn't be practical that I haven't thought of ?

Yeah, we accept loaners but unfortunately have to send them back. Never fun sending one of them back, but it's necessary. Getting loaners from makers has been few and far between though, but we'll keep trying!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ethically speaking I'm almost certain that you could send free sample swords to me rather than back to the company. That would free you of the heavy burden of maintaining objectivity; something that I would humbly bear for you. This may sound like fuzzy logic but I assure you it's a brilliant plan. Laughing Out Loud
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Ethically speaking I'm almost certain that you could send free sample swords to me rather than back to the company. That would free you of the heavy burden of maintaining objectivity; something that I would humbly bear for you. This may sound like fuzzy logic but I assure you it's a brilliant plan.

I like fuzzy logic. It's so soft and cuddly.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic hasn't necessarily generated a ton of discussion, but it appears to have been read pretty widely. I'll take that as a hint that people were interested in the FAQ. Happy

While it may not be as riveting as a review or feature article, it's still an important addition to this site and I'm glad people are taking the time to check it out. If you haven't checked it out, please take a moment to do so. Happy

Happy holidays, everyone.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > myArmoury Review FAQ
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic