Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Paul Binns Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Paul Binns Swords         Reply with quote

Hi y'all,
R Paul Binns swords any good?
I sent him an email a couple weeks ago but he hasn't responded, does any one here know his approximate wait time or about how much it wud cost to ship sumthing like a sword to the US?
Thanx
Ps the model I'm interested is his pattern welded migration sword
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Zach.

The 6th century pattern-welded sword on Paul's web-site is mine (the pictures were taken in my front room) and I love it to bits. However since it was finished we've had a few discussions about the hilt proportions on these swords as it was the first time that Paul had tried a hilt exactly like this one. Most of his customers seem to prefer later Viking style hilts. The upshot was that when I got my spear, also pattern-welded, off of him recently, he brought along another one of these swords that he had made for someone else, and the hilt was great. Really comfortable. So much so that I will be getting my sword re-hilted some time in the new year using the new measurements. You can guess from all of this that I am a fan of Paul's work and I would say that as a result of the work we've done in the last few months this particular sword will have only got better.
As far as the wait time goes, Paul can sometimes be a bit erratic, especially when the re-enactment season is in full swing, as he gets a lot of stuff back in for refitting or repair, but my sword took just under a year. I suppose you'd just have to ask how busy he is.

Cheers,
Darrin.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Paul Binn's swords         Reply with quote

Hi Zach,

I'd second Darrin's remarks, I also have some pattern welded items from Paul, a spear head and seax and both of great quality. If you do order from Paul though do expect some delay and ask for a realistic waiting time, as would be expected from an sword smith who is passionate about what he does, he is very much in demand and usually very busy.
best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the above and on top of that he is a really nice and straightforward guy.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Marcus Rizzo

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally don't own a Paul Bins, but several of the senior members of my re-enactment group do and they really like his swords (although they do say that it now takes him a while to get back/get things made because he has become so popular in the UK)

:P
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have a paul binns sword and spear. i love the things. when i did viking/norman reenactment i would try everything to scratch or ding the edge.... i couldn't!!!!!!!!! i remember one battle i aimed for Capt Atli's end nut on his anglo-saxon shield and got no marks on my sword. its awesome. If you don;t get any responces from Paul, you can try Jim at www.viking-shield.com he usualy carries 4 different binns blades that are off the shelf types, nothing custom.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If all else fails here is his phone number +44 (0) 1945 430515

Just remember the time zone difference ie call him when you wake up and it should be fine and the call will only cost a couple of bucks for a quick chat.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second all of the above.

I own two swords, three seax blades and one axe made by Paul. He is a great craftsman and seem to be unsurpassed when it comes to viking blunts.

Waiting time usually depends on what you order and how close your order is to the reenacment season.

My two tips are: 1) Ask for a delivery date. 2) Make sure you know what you want when you contact Paul. If possible send a picture of the original (Don't send pictures of other makers swords).

/Vilhelm
Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi I just got an email back from Paul,
he said that it would be 12 months,
So now I'm debating getting it hilted like the migration sword or a type H like on my hersir.
How late do you think a migration sword could be used? Could I use a migration sword like that up to sort of AD800 and then I could maybe use my non pattern-welded albion hersir for later viking?
I know that swords were considered heirlooms so do you think it would be reasonable to still use a migration sword for up to 800?
Thanx
Z
C. Scott

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Paul Binns         Reply with quote

I'm new here but I will speak for Paul. I have owned 3 of his swords and have fought with him on the field and shared mead with him at the hearth. I swear by his craft and will only fight with his swords given the option. He is an gentleman, a true craftsman and I prize his combat weapons above all others.

He is worth the wait.

GreenShield
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again. The type IV hilt seems to have hung on well into the 8th century in it's various forms and some of the earlier 'Viking age' hilts are not so different either, so I really don't see why this couldn't be used in an 8th century context. Of course you also mentioned heirlooms, and I personally believe, from some of the descriptions in poems and chronicles, that swords from this period were still being passed around well into the 9th, or even early 10th century.

Also, if you already have a type H hilt on your Albion, why not go for something different for the earlier sword. As I've said the type IV hilt covered a fair period of time, and is appropriate for this blade.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Paul Binns Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic