Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusader period swords - Albion's Oakeshott Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam Hennessy

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Crusader period swords - Albion's Oakeshott Sword         Reply with quote

I noticed there is not a review for Albion's Oakeshott Sword.
This sword is a crusader period type Xa and it might be worth taking a look at. I dont know much about it personally but on a quick glance (not just at the higher price tag) i feel this model would perform at a much higher standard than the equivalent crusader period Albion Templar sword (also type Xa). I think it has cause for reviewing.
Just a thought.

~Adam
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam,
Thank you for your post. Please have a look at our Review FAQ. As it says. we'd love to have a review of pretty much every sword out there, but we can only review what our reviewers have access to. The vast majority of our reviews of pieces from the personal collection of one of our volunteer authors.

So until an owner of that sword volunteers to submit a review or to loan their sword to one of our reviewers, or until the maker loans us one for review, we won't be able to publish one, unfortunately.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Adam Hennessy

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Adam,
Thank you for your post. Please have a look at our Review FAQ. As it says. we'd love to have a review of pretty much every sword out there, but we can only review what our reviewers have access to. The vast majority of our reviews of pieces from the personal collection of one of our volunteer authors.

So until an owner of that sword volunteers to submit a review or to loan their sword to one of our reviewers, or until the maker loans us one for review, we won't be able to publish one, unfortunately.

oh i see no worries Happy thanks
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusader period swords - Albion's Oakeshott Sword         Reply with quote

Adam Hennessy wrote:
This sword is a crusader period type Xa and it might be worth taking a look at. I dont know much about it personally but on a quick glance (not just at the higher price tag) i feel this model would perform at a much higher standard than the equivalent crusader period Albion Templar sword (also type Xa). I think it has cause for reviewing.
Just a thought.

~Adam

Adam,

One other thing too. Although the Oakeshotte is indeed a type Xa, Peter Johnsson has suggested that the dating on this sword provided by Ewart is quite possibly too early. He writes "The cross section is unusual. I know of no other sword that has a similar blade. I am not convinced, like Oakeshott, that it could be dated as early as the 11th. Rather I would think it belongs to 13th or early 14th C. But who can really tell? ... The hollow grinding is unique for a sword of this type and from this period". Although we don't know for sure, this to me suggests that it probably is not a crusading era sword.
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusader period swords - Albion's Oakeshott Sword         Reply with quote

Adam Hennessy wrote:
Just a thought.

~Adam

The Oakeshott and Templar are significantly different in blade feel, and I would suppose you'd really have to decide what you're looking for in your blade performance. I wouldn't say either is 'better' because that's a value judgement that assumes a lot about what you consider to be 'desired' handling Happy

Also, don't forget the Chevalier.

thanks Happy

-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusader period swords - Albion's Oakeshott Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic