Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knife of Aragorn Update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Knife of Aragorn Update         Reply with quote

A few days ago I posted that I had won an e-bay auction that netted me the knife of Aragorn. The knife arrived today and some of the photos are listed below. Let me begin by saying that I assumed this was the UC version simply because I didn't think anyone else made them. However, the knife arrived in a brown box and NOT the UC packaging. Let me say also that nowhere on the auction did the seller say, imply, or claim this was the United Cutlery version. What I got was a large knife without a lot of presence and with the word "PAKISTAN" plasterd on the blade. The fittings are really very cheap can obviously badly cast. The sheath is covered in cheap suede leather and the knife fits poorly. There appears to be a threaded tang as there is a large gap in the pommel piece. I am not sure how the handle attaches at the moment so if get it off I'll let everyone know. The knife did come with the painted plaque offered by the UC version and the hardware to hang it. At this point I want to ask if anyone has the UC version that was bought in the retail UNited Cutlery box? Mine even came with a poster!

Now two things come to mind. If this is the United Cutlery version they should be sued for false advertising. This is NOT the knife pictured on their and every other website I have seen. Nowhere did the several websites I perused have a disclaimer that the photo was the actual movie prop superimposed on the UC placque. If this is the case, then I would never buy a United Cutlery item ever again. The second scenario is that this is a cheap Pakstani ripoff that the seller got for about $20 in bulk and sent them with the UC accessories or copies of the UC accessories. If the latter is the case I would say beware! I am just glad I did not give the $125-$250 I saw the UC version going for on at least 5 different websites.

I would very much appreciate if someone who bought the UC knife of Aragorn, in it's original United Cutlery box, could confirm that the knife I have is or is not the UC version.

Attachment: 23.92 KB
DSCN2332.JPG

Attachment: 35.41 KB
DSCN2329.JPG

Attachment: 35.54 KB
DSCN2325.JPG

Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh man, im so sorry to here about this.
Was this the sword pictured on the Ebay auction? cus if it wasn't then it would occur to me that you might have a case against the seller for false advertising.
Have you decided what to do with the piece?

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately ripoffs of United Cutlery LOTR designs are quite common. If this one was not advertised as the authorized UC version, you can be sure it isn't.

Here' s a picture of the authorized UC version. http://www.1sks.com/images/united/uc-1371WGNB.jpg

If the item is in fact an authorized LOTR product, you will find an etched label with the Lord of the Rings copyrighted logo on the blade.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: I will take action agianst the seller.         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Unfortunately ripoffs of United Cutlery LOTR designs are quite common. If this one was not advertised as the authorized UC version, you can be sure it isn't.

Here' s a picture of the authorized UC version. http://www.1sks.com/images/united/uc-1371WGNB.jpg

If the item is in fact an authorized LOTR product, you will find an etched label with the Lord of the Rings copyrighted logo on the blade.

I went back to the original auction page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...&rd=1. As you can see the photo is the United Cutlery standard press release photo. I am contacting the seller via e-mail about the deception along with e-bay itself. I am nto sure how this will play out. Is there any way I can contact United Cutlery? I think they paid quite hansomely for the exclusive rights to this knife. Yup, I got e-bay hosed. Mad
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well that sound all too familiar!!!!!

I ordered, at the time, the Narsil sword from a questionable seller. The photo was the one from UC, so I assumed that this is the UC product. Well It was a china made rip off!!!! On the top of it all they sent me the wrong sword. The good part was that I could return it for a full refund!!!!.

The point is that sellers use the original (decent looking) photos of the UC products to lure people into buying cheeper knock-offs.

Buyers beware!!!!!!

Alexi
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Cavet emptor         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Well that sound all too familiar!!!!!

I ordered, at the time, the Narsil sword from a questionable seller. The photo was the one from UC, so I assumed that this is the UC product. Well It was a china made rip off!!!! On the top of it all they sent me the wrong sword. The good part was that I could return it for a full refund!!!!.

The point is that sellers use the original (decent looking) photos of the UC products to lure people into buying cheeper knock-offs.

Buyers beware!!!!!!

Alexi

You are so right Alexi. I have contacted e-bay's fraud department, the seller and United Cutlery's fraud department.
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey joel,

sorry to say but the auction's fine print indicates that it is not the UC version. was the fine print missing when you ordered it?

Try not to take yourself too seriously.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Didn't see the fine print         Reply with quote

Dave Hahn wrote:
hey joel,

sorry to say but the auction's fine print indicates that it is not the UC version. was the fine print missing when you ordered it?

Dave I did not see teh fine print. However, I think that the seller should have pictured the actual item for sale and NOT the United Cutlery version. I have little hope of recovering money, but we'll see. Perhaps this is all on the up-and-up , but I still feel cheated that the product was not as pictured. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel, it's a hard lesson to learn, but the earlier you learn it the better off you will be as an internet buyer. ALWAYS know both your seller and his product. To avoid ripoffs and misunderstandings, communicate accurately via email so there will be a record of the statements made by both the buyer and the seller. What you see is not always what you get. Demand confirmation that you are buying what you want rather than some knockoff.

If you get no satisfaction from the seller or from EBay, consider contacting the Consumer Protection office in the seller's home state. Usually there's a division of the state's Attorney General's office that handles consumer ripoff complaints. Whatever they can do for you will be free, unlike the services of an attorney.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely chalk this up to a learning experience. I believe that anyone selling the Pakistani knock-off cannot advertise it as a legit UC product (UC has really been cracking down on this), so they must put a disclaimer. Using the UC art, however, is just plain low.

If I were in this situation, I wouldn't keep the knife... I'd dispose of it in any way I could, because it would only remind me of how I was duped. I had that happen once and I tried to love the product I bought, but I just couldn't do it and had to get rid of it. But that's just me.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: You want it Tim?         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Definitely chalk this up to a learning experience. I believe that anyone selling the Pakistani knock-off cannot advertise it as a legit UC product (UC has really been cracking down on this), so they must put a disclaimer. Using the UC art, however, is just plain low.

If I were in this situation, I wouldn't keep the knife... I'd dispose of it in any way I could, because it would only remind me of how I was duped. I had that happen once and I tried to love the product I bought, but I just couldn't do it and had to get rid of it. But that's just me.

Haha I will sell it to you for the postage only Wink I knwo what you mean. I actually e-mailed UC's fraud department asking them if they needed it whole package ( the fake plaque, the badly printed poster [it's actually blurry] and the straps). If they don't need it, I'll probably send it back to the seller whether he wants it back or not. Bad thing about it, the guy runs a commercial website with the same UC photos (PM me for the name of the website as I will not post it here). Again, maybe the seller will understand how I feel, but this was still pretty underhanded.

Joel
James Sharpe

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel.,
Sorry to hear about your purchase. I was waiting to see a review from you when I saw you post that you purchased this. I had the same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago when I was trying to purchase Sting. I hope you get some sort of resolve.

James
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Sorry to hear about yours James         Reply with quote

James Sharpe wrote:
Joel.,
Sorry to hear about your purchase. I was waiting to see a review from you when I saw you post that you purchased this. I had the same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago when I was trying to purchase Sting. I hope you get some sort of resolve.

James

I don't expect any resolution from the seller even thought I am shipping the thing back next week. I did contact UC's fraud department and they got back to me the next day asking for more info about the seller. The selle rresponded to me with a terse e-mail and said that he woudl haev to think about how to handle this since I had irreparably damaged his business Eek! LOL Can you imagine that one?! A veiled threat. Well he's getting the knife back whether he wants it or not. I have since ordered thge officail UC version and it should be in today. I'll post some pics and a review as soon as possible.

Joel
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: I will take action agianst the seller.         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:

I went back to the original auction page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...&rd=1. As you can see the photo is the United Cutlery standard press release photo. I am contacting the seller via e-mail about the deception along with e-bay itself. I am nto sure how this will play out. Is there any way I can contact United Cutlery? I think they paid quite hansomely for the exclusive rights to this knife. Yup, I got e-bay hosed. Mad

i had that happen when i bought sting, i gave a bad review and he made a complaint against me on eBay...I ended up getting eBay to remove that I ever won the post as he kept leaving bad feed back out of spite. eBay unless you find a reputable dealer is a risky business, I hate the amound of rip off merchants on eBay.

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: UC Knife of Aragorn arrived!         Reply with quote

Yesterday I had a little UPS package on my doorstep. The United Cutlery KNife of Aaragorn arrived and I must say that I am really impressed! First, the knife is sharp; not razor sharp but it does have an edge on it. The scabbard is really impressive with the bronze chape and locket very well executed and the knife fits tightly inside. I cannot tell what kind of tang the knife has but the literature lists it as "full tang". That only means that the tang extends the length of the handle but it does not indicate if it is a rat-tail tang or not. The entire knife feels very solid. As you can imagine from the shape of the blade, the weight is a little forward, but as this is not a sword the feel is one of heft and is not uncomfortable. I'll get some stats up this afternoon and some better photos. OVerall I am very impressed with the craftsmaship and attention to detail of this production piece.

Attachment: 24.8 KB
DSCN2335.JPG

Attachment: 26.03 KB
DSCN2338.JPG

Attachment: 22.69 KB
DSCN2339.JPG

Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the reviews, maybe a pic of where the blade meets the handle? I love that knife and i'm considering it as a possible buy.
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: More and more problems for Aragorn         Reply with quote

Cry It would seem that my luck with Aragorn-related knives is bad. When I took the blade outside to photograph it, I noticed a crack in the handle where the blade meets the handle. I have contacted the seller and I am confident they will make good on an exchange. I don't seem to be having any luck where this knife is concerned. And I absolutely LOVE this piece. BTW no cutting was done with the knife, I think it's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Joel

Attachment: 27.95 KB
DSCN2360.JPG
[b]Note the small crack highkighted.[/b]
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The etching in some of the photo's doesn't look half bad.

But if it is marked Pakistan, it's a fake for certain. Sorry you got ripped. I bought a sting sword the owner claimed was official, and that it had the box and everything with the certificate of authenticity.It had none of that.

Another time someone claimed he had a WitchKing sword that was an early prototype, so it didn't have the Untied Cutlery stamp on it. When I got it, it not only didn't have the UC stamp, it also wasn't acid etched. eBay sellers suck (except for me and a few select good ones).

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any updates as to what is happening with the seller?
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Defective UC design or materials?         Reply with quote

Cry Well Medieval Weapon Art sent me my second United Cutlery Knife of Aragorn. As you read in the above thread, the first one had a cracked handle. Well I took out the second one today, fresh from the box, and guess what...yep another cracked handle. This one has cracks above and below the blade as shown below, They are very small, but would probably get worse if I handled the knife. Now I am beginning to believe that this is a design defect as the top and bottom of the handle are VERY thin ( probably the thickness of a nickle). A combination of the long, heavy blade and the thin wood, I think, is causing the cracks. Anyone else have any trouble with this? At this point I think I'll just take my money back. This kinda breaks my heart as I love the overal design and implementatin of this knife. Cry Ironically, the Pakastani rip-off has a rock solid handle. WTF?!

Joel

Attachment: 39.63 KB
DSCN2515.JPG
Crack on the top of the blade

Attachment: 33.83 KB
DSCN2517.JPG
Crack on the bottom of the blade.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knife of Aragorn Update
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: