Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Question regarding Viktor Berbekucz work Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Question regarding Viktor Berbekucz work         Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Looking for a smith in the european area to lower shipping charges i found :

http://www.berbekuczviktor.hu/

And he looked interesting, at least his prices did.

Asking the search forum here on the page didnt bring up much regarding his work -but supposedly his pictures do not do his products justice.

Does anyone here has experience with his work and maybe even owns a sword of wich he or she may post some pictures ?
It would be much appreciated as i would like to see a few more details of his work before ordering.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Yours sincerely

Klaus
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks intresting and prices are damn good.

A maker with similar prices can be found here:

http://www.miecze.pl/index.php5?page=IndexD&lang=en

Ive bought a few from that guy and they have been great and very strong. They hold very well in combat

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have met with Viktor in his smithy and he is a very serious craftsman. I do not own any of his swords but I do own two axes. I have played around a little with his some of his viking swords and in my opinion the are a bit unbalanced and a bit overweight but very robust and well made. Victors stuff is mostly found in Hungary, Poland and Germany. Both axes I own are of very good quality.

He makes a lot more weapons and the one you can find on his website.
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there.

Thanks a lot for the insight. I think i will try my luck with him. Robust always sounds good especially for us "let it ring" crowed :o)

Best regards

Klaus

P.S: Sorry - i had aparently posted in the wrong forum.
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, this is just the right time, as i wanted to post something over Viktor for a while.
I had ran into his homepage about two years ago and saved it, as I occasionally go to Hungary. As posted, the pics aren't very good, but I have been informed that a totaly new site is under construction, with english pages too (now only Hungarian and German).
Viktor himself doesn't speak English but his wife do and things work ok. Last September I had travelled again to Hungary and made an appointment with Viktor at his home/workshop, which is about 30 minutes by train from Budapest.
Apparently Viktor has a lot of experience and he does historical arms exclusively - no modern nor fantasy pieces.
He is the 'home blacksmith' for several museum around and do exact replicas from the original he is allowed to handle and measure. Most of his works are done per order but he keeps some pieces for selling at home. I guess the overweighted swords are his blunts, as I saw myself. He showed me a museum-copy of a sharp, very long hand and a half, it was amazingly light to size and well balanced.
All his blades are hand forged from spring steel, fit and finish look very good to excellent, and I managed to see swords in progress so I know how the tang looks inside - it is integral and narrows gradually towards the pommel. The only with draw I can tell about is that scabbards come from a sub-contractor, are considered extra and are priced separately. Since I was eager to buy something, the sword I have chosen did not have an appropriate scabbard and was blunt. This is a version of the Conyers Falchion, something I wanted long ago.
I'm very happy with my purchase - as I saved on shipping fee and time I believe it is an excellent deal, and I'm going soon to commission a custom work from him as well.

Attachment: 131.77 KB
vb_falchion1.jpg

Attachment: 122.48 KB
vb_falchion2.jpg

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I guess the overweighted swords are his blunts, as I saw myself."

This is true. The swords I handled were all blunts and made for "reenactment" viking combat. His sharp swords are most likely less overweight.
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In fact, I could handle two identical swords (single hand), one was blunt and the other was sharp; the sharp version was significantly lighter.
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The UK sword maker I normally go to is Mark Vickers of St.George Armoury:
http://www.stgeorgearmoury.co.uk/

I also recommend Armour Class for post-medieval swords:
http://www.armourclass.com/

I have heard good things about Castle Keep:
http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/

I have owned a couple of Lutel swords, and they are okay as blunts - not good as sharps:
http://www.lutel.cz/

I have been very impressed by Vladmir Cervenka's work:
http://www.sword.cz/

Also Patrick Barta for amazing early medieval things:
http://www.templ.net/english/

You can also see a good review of a Pavel Marek rapier on our forum here:
http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10254
http://www.armorymarek.com/

There is a very good maker in Finland and a very good maker in Germany, but I can't remember either of their names right now..

Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some more works of Viktor, mostly historical knives. I liked in particular those with stag handle. Photo was taken at his home/shop.

Attachment: 120.89 KB
[ Download ]

Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi folks

I comissioned him for a reenactment claymore today. Lets see how it turns out. Price was really reasonable iwth 400€ including shippment in europe.

I will post the specs and pics when it gets here. I am very curious to see how it holds up against Armour Class.

That is going to be a long 3 month l -sigh-.

Best regards

Klaus
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi folks !

Just a quick update. Thought i would let you know my experiences with Viktor so far.
Communication in german works flawless. His emails are a bit short and to the point. Especially in a comission i had hoped for a bit more input and comments from him, but maybe i am spoiled from my experience with Brendan from fable blades. Viktor had so far answered any email within 72 hours.

I have placed an order for a reecactment sword for him. The details are as follows:

The pictures i have send to him originall you find attached to this post. They are all from the forum here. Thanks to the original posters. For the grip itself i wanted to go with the image : grip_original.jpg

Furthermore i have send him the following numbers to let him know i was looking for a smaler size then what would be historical correct: (I am an overweight office guy :/ ) So i suggested the follwing numbers - as i am an euro guy they are in the metric system :

Overall length: 133-135 cm
Blade Length: 96-97
Grip (incl guard and pommel): 38-37
Width of the guard: about 25 cm
Blade at shoulder 4,5 - 5 cm
Blade at the tip 2,0 - 2,5 cm
Thickness at ricasso: 6-7 mm
thickness at tip 3-4 mm
corssection: diamond
handle material: wood
furniture: brass (i didnt specify t his orginally, and he asked in an email weather he should use brass or not)
ricasso lenght: about 9 cm
fuller: about 25-30 cm
Edge: 2 mm
Hardness: about 55 HRc
Weight: 2,5 kg max

Payment he prefered wire transfer. After asking back if a split payment would be alright - half ahead as deposit, half after seeing the pictures of the sword before mailing it off - he agreed.

His asking price is 350 €uro plus shipping.

Shipping was very moderate, from him to germany : 34 €uro

[Euro dollar exchange rate at thime of this writing: 1 €uro = 1,28 USD)

His waiting list was currently very short, he gave me an estimated delivery time of 4 to 5 weeks.

I ma curious to see what he comes up with. I had attached the pictures as reference for what i had in mind as i really really liked the reproductions (from Vince Evans i believe ? )

Will update here when there is something new to report.

Best regards

Klaus

P.S:
A note on the numbers. I had included them as reference to help express my idea and he did not comment back on them and will do them as i wrote down.
--> So if i have wirtten total puuhh there please correct me so i can update the specs with him before he starts working on the blade. Thanks alot .

Attachment: 50.87 KB
grip_mac_1.jpg

Attachment: 131.64 KB
grip_mac_2.jpg

Attachment: 21.35 KB
grip_original.jpg

Attachment: 39.06 KB
ricasso_mac_1.jpg

Attachment: 24.1 KB
ricasso_mac_2.jpg

Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update with the first pictures from Viktor.

So far everything is going well. Contact is smooth and easy and very friendly. Writing in German is absolutly no problem.

I hope it will be here by christmas then i will use the days to post a more detailed review.

For the grip itself I asked him to use the Kelvingrove picture as reference. Lets see how it develops. I will update here if its wanted.

The furniture is brass from what i recall from the top of my head. He had asked it in an email as it wasn't specified in my original draft.

Best regards

Klaus

Attachment: 35.62 KB
mfk 001.jpg

Attachment: 43.76 KB
mfk 003.jpg

Attachment: 57.78 KB
mfk 004.jpg

Attachment: 39.38 KB
mfk 005.jpg

Memento Mori
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Klaus, it seems the project is going on well. I liked in particular the robust guard with heavier-than-usual bars. Please keep us informed . Another thread regarding (slightly) Viktor's work is here http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14852 please note my remark there concerning the sharpening of my cutlass. I also gave there a link to this thread...
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Untill Klaus will post some new info, my lighter, sharp falchion got a new scabbard - here is a pic for all to see.

Attachment: 144.15 KB
DSCN0436.JPG

Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi folks !

Sword got here and here are the pics .

Unfortunately my camera is on its last legs and it was too cold outside to run over to the neighbours to borrow theirs.

Hope it still shows the general idea.

Best regards

Klaus

Attachment: 67.16 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 67.19 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 66 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 66.93 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 76.89 KB
[ Download ]

Memento Mori
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Review         Reply with quote

Introduction:
---------------

This is my first attempt at writing a sword review so please cut me some slack :o)

There is already quite some information regarding Viktor here on the forum so I will keep it short. I had found his page from a link here on the board and what drove me to order from him in the first place was is low price point and the fact that he does not have a very long waiting list together with the good opinions about him found here on the forum. From the point of order to deliver it was about 2,5 to 3 month.

Please make sure to note that i ordered the sword especially for use in reenactment. So a high finish is not of importance to me, and i made it clear in the original draft. Security and durability were paramount as well as keeping the weight under 2.5 kg.
While i am comparatively tall, i am a computer guy and as hard as it is i have to admit using a sword heavier then that is beyond any reasonable control for me.

For the rest of the specification and pictures i had send as reference please see the posts above.

Overview:
------------

First the hard stats:

Note: 1 inch = 2,54 cm
(using cm as that is my regular measurement system and its more accurate)

Weight: according to kitchen scale - 2380 g
Overall Length: 133,5 cm (including peen block)
Blade: 96 cm
Crossguard width: 24,5 cm (meassured from edges of the quadfoil)
Wooden Grip (total) 26 cm
Blade width (at crossguard): 4,6 cm
Blade width (3 cm from tip): 2 cm
Blade thickness (at base) 0,5 cm
Blade thickness (at tip): 0,3 cm (very hard to meassure - more of a guess)
Point of balance( about): 8,5 cm from crossguard
Edge thickness (about): 1 mm. - see below
Hardness : about 51-53 HRc according to an email from Viktor with a 1 year warranty under "intended" use

Fit and Finish:
-----------------

The first impression i had when I unpacked the sword from its box (of course beaten up by post transfer) was that of an utility item made for regular use. the blade was shiny but had a minor scruff near the tip. The brass of the guard and pommel showed some nicks here and there and a few scratches. Nothing big - mind you - but it was visible if inspected. It was immediately clear that this was more of a tool then a display item. But that was exactly what I wanted it for and that is totally okay from my point of view.
The ornamentation on the crossguard stil had some black residue in it (from cutting ?) but a paper cloth with some oil got rid of that easy enough.
The wooden grip seemd to be made of multiple parts, for the joints do show the reminders of them glue. Again nothing that in any way impedes its use but its visible when you look from close up.

When you order over seas from him i would request a stronger packaging then the carton box it came in. The sword was greased and plastic layers covered the handle and tip. Still a more stable box would have been a nice add on.

The tang is preend (hard soldered? - not sure of the term) to the pommel and rock solid. A note here to the edge: Its a bit thinner then i originally requested 1 mm compared to 2 mm but its rounded - just as the reenactment blades from Armour Class are.
I have absolutely no doubt concerning the safety of the edge and would immediately agree to spar with it when my partner used such a blade.

There is only one negative point i have to note here:
I had asked for a engraving line around the edges of the ricasso - as seen in the pictures above. I know its purely ornamental but i really do like it and had hoped it would be in the sword - especially since it was part of the original specification email. Alas it was not to be.

Handling:
-----------

The first thing to note here is that the blade is very stiff. The diamond cross section seemed to have worked out great. there is no sag at all - especially if compared to the Armour Class Claymore. Then again it has to be pointed out that the AC version is larger over all. Personally i prefer a stiffer blade, but i think that comes down to personal likes and dislikes. But using Viktors sword in a half sword style felt natural and not at all akward or unwieldy.
Going though some basic Liechtenauer guards the sword follows obediently. Its still some weight to move and hold but its actual quite pleasant. Resting the thumb on the smooth langlett works great as well. I tried a few swings on my dummy made of truck wheels and the power behind a full swing is quite terrifying. However here the stiff blade has a drawback, the impact shock is -clearly- noticeable on wrists and arms.

The bulge in the grip is an interesting feature. I had requested it (for a picture see above) and it does indeed adds an other layer of feeling to the handling. I have to say that its a little tiny bit too large from my hands and I assume Viktor used his own hand for reference. But i will remedy this in the summer with some sandpaper once I have had the chance to use it in some sparring with friends. Its my fault though for I did not specify any size for it in the first place.

Conclusion:
--------------

For me the most important question is always : "Did I get my moneys worth ?" and in this case I can clearly say : "Yes - and some more". For 384 € including shipping for a full custom I think this sword was a bargin (exchange rate to USD at time of this writing 1 € = 1,35 USD).
Even with the real live test still to come in summer (in terms of steel on steel) I have no doubts about the swords stability at all.
I even go so far to say I will order again from Viktor at the end of 2009.
Communication worked great in German and emails were answered promptly, with only 1 exception : his email account was full :o)

On my personal scale I give him 9 from 10 points - with 1 point reduction for the missing engraving on the ricasso. Besides that i cannot think of any other flaw in the sword that I would point out in terms of design or bad workman ship.

In summary: give him a try - I think you will not be sorry.

Best regards

Klaus

Memento Mori
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back from past. Laughing Out Loud

I have purchased 5 swords from Viktor over the last 1.5 years. 2 were regular offerings and 3 were customs. I am very pleased with each sword I purchased. He makes a good product at a good price. All 5 I ordered were sharps and they handle well.
Robert Môc
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,Viktor is very serious craftsmen and my good friend.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the swords I have bought off Viktor.

Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my two Viktor Berbekucz sabers. These are both amazing swords, and well worth the price. On top of the quality of the stuff he makes, Viktor and his wife Andrea are also genuinely nice people.

Please note that these are deliberately blunt and with rounded points, as they are intended for HMB fighting.

Eventually there will also be a third one in the set, an HMB replica of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II's short sword, affectionately known as ISAS_89. I'll get Viktor to make this too, if I can, in the same hilt furniture and materials as these two.

Attachment: 28.13 KB
IMG_20130808_160428-1.jpg

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Question regarding Viktor Berbekucz work
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic